News: Character Creations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 am

You don't really need to bone the model unless you want to do animations. Even then it's not absolutely essential. The bones create a system whereby movement of one joint affects another. You get a model that behaves like a rag doll. Doing the bone system is simple - just a click. But you have to apply limiters to each joint so that the joint cannot move outside it's natural range of movement. That's very hard as I tried it once. 26 (?) joints all with three axes.
Then you have to put dummy handles on the joints to make selection easier. Having done all that, to do complicated animations a motion capture studio would be handy.[:p]

Texturing? Best to use a model already textured. At least UV mapped. I never got the hang of texturing from scratch. Not on a complex model anyway.....

btw. have you tested that model in the game? It's just that the mesh looks quite dense and some models can crash the game if they have too many polygons.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:58 pm

In this moment I don´t trying tocreate animations pro, too complicate for my. [:I]

I only need adapt the skeleton of Knight_N to the Ninja model (I only have the mesh).

For example, when you rotate the arm bone of Knight_N skeleton, the bone and mesh are vinculated, mesh and bone rotate together, I want the same to the ninja model for testing him as a playable character. [:)]

The ninja model only have two meshes: "Head" and "Body", I think I can edit the "Body" part to create all necessary parts of "Blade_Skeleton"; Head, Center, L_Arm, R_Elbow, etc.

But I need to vinculated the bones with the meshes. [xx(]

P.S. Yes pro, game load correctly the model as a simple object, I only have a problem with textures in 3dmax, model have textures but not show correctly on render mode and ingame. I don´t know why. [?]

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi IrateGiant!

3DSMAXR2.5 have not the skin tools. But (as Prospero say) there is no necessary to use system of "bones" (where "bone" is the helper 3DSMAX object). The skeleton of Knight_N (and of other original BOD persons) is the system of the parts of the mesh, linked in a hierarchy.
To adapt the "skeleton" of Knight_N you must separate the Ninja mesh to some parts as the Knight_N and link they in hierarchy. After that you must move and rotate the pivots for each part of the hierarchy as in the Knight_N "skeleton" system. Also I think, you must rotate the shoulders of Ninja from "cross" position to "Rlx" position (as the Knight_N).
It is necessary that the name of material in 3DSMAXR2.5 is coincided with the name of texture. For example if you have the name of texture "NINJA.bmp" you must set the name of material as "NINJA". The register of symbols is important!

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi Harrison! [:D]

Many thanks for the explanation! Now I managed to correctly display textures. I've renamed the materials by his names and now the textures loaded well. I placed the Bitmaps in "Diffuse" as originals Blade models instead of "Ambient". [:I]

This a image ingame. [:)]

Now I will try to adapt the skeleton of "Knight_N" the Ninja for the character.

So, I need edit the body mesh to create all body parts of original Blade models right? And after link all bones in a hierachy.

P.S. I have a little doubt, I edit the trayectory of a Amz animation but I can´t export him, a message appear:

<font color="red">the object export must belong to the "Blade_RootAnim_"</font id="red">

Thanks! [:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:34 am

Before exporting an animation you have to select all and group them with the name starting:

Blade_AnimRoot_NameOfAnimation

e.g

Blade_AnimRoot_Kgt_Rlx_1H
Blade_AnimRoot_Kgt_Rlx_no
Blade_AnimRoot_Kgt_g_02

The wording must be exact.

If you copy the entire mesh of the character you can build the Skeleton group from that. You have to detatch groups of polys so you have the same number of parts as the RAS models and name them the same. Then link them in the same hierachy. The TPTPT scripts are handy to build the model.
It's quite complicated, so don't expect instant results.[:)]

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Many thanks pro. [:)]

It´s quite complicated adapt all neccesary parts to create the model. I don´t have he TPTPT Script to make easily the character. [:(]

I read something about we can create new animations and models with NeverWinterNights editor but again I´m lost about how get them.

I´m testing with some method to create the character and I think I find a good one; I used the "Vejete" skeleton to create the reference and after I edited the parts and attach the new ones.

Here a first try. [:D]

I think I can fix the model errors.

P.S. The animation is exported well pro but I don´t see the difference. I changed a simple jump trayectory to create a highly jump but not work. [?]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:15 am

The NWN models are usable. I've done literally 100's. They differ from RAS models in certain ways...

You have to build them in max rotated 180deg. Facing the oposite direction in other words.

They are composed of seperate parts so you can mix arms/legs/etc to build many variants. But not being a continous mesh you can sometimes see the joins. If you examine RAS model Skeleton groups, there are some polygon faces that have been strategically removed and some nodes even consist of vertices only. This allows the skin mesh to deform with movement giving a more natural look.

The bodies/heads are textured on one side and the other side is mirrored. Not a great problem, but a wound on one side gets repeated on the other. (Unless you split the head and do seperate textures).

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi all bladers!

Now DalGurak can be severed on Limbs:

http://youtu.be/wZSOyRXluO0

New files are located here:

http://uploading.com/files/get/7c9f365c ... _files.rar

Also model have anchor "Back", crushed Edges and anchor "Crush" for the hand-to-hand fighting.

However there are no wounded textures of DalGurak. I invite artists to make it.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: News: Character Creations

Postby prospero » Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Just a note to say Harrison's work in extracting the models is coming in very useful for FIV. :D

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Many thanks, Pro!
Can I help you with something in your work for FIV project?

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 am

Hey all guys.:mrgreen: In recent years too often began to remember my favorite game when I saw that recently announced the release of the game Might and Magic X: Legacy (I'm waiting for this for 10 years). And after all we didn't finish ours mod about Necromancer. But I've almost ready first part and two (and three) more following parts in my book on 50 sheets with detailed illustrations and dialogues.:wink: Probably now time what to finish at least the first part? Who know.

Harrison, I've a terrible question, he-he. Once long ago I had the collected model by TPTPT. Model of a dragon. The model has the small size I'd it by script for 3dsmax by Tptpt. The small and lovely dragon who suits for roles of the pet was created.:D You could make this model of a dragon enormous (as the last boss in original game) but as to optimize model so that the dragon could attack fiery breath? But it would be ideal if the dragon will fly like a wyvern in the original game and that the dragon in flight could attack the player. It's possible? Earlier it wasn't possible but now that we've all the original files of the characters... My terrible english again attacked this a good forum.:mrgreen:

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Trinitron. :D

No problem in making a dragon model bigger. TP had one working, but only on the ground. The thing is, all the BOD models are programmed to stay on the floor. The Wyverns move though the air, but they have no AI. They just repeat the same animation. Getting a char to move in three dimensions would be a difficult task.

Hi Harrison. :D

There is one slight problem I have. I used to use max8 with a set of plugins to import Neverwinter Nights .MDL files. You can then delete all the unnecessary helpers and animations and export to .3DS. Then import the 3DS file into max 2.5 and save as .max. You then have a model complete with texture mapping that can be used to make BOD -useable stuff. But my current PC refuses to install max 8. :( There are no MDL import plugins for max 2.5. Don't no if it's possible to write any 2.5 compatible plugins.
I do have a lot of NWN models that I extracted on my old PC. But there are a lot that I didn't. There are 10000s of them. Some are not useful or just duplicates, but some are very good.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Prospero, glad to hear you and see you again returned to the continuation of the Fugitive's series. :mrgreen: I understand that the animation and AI for flying enemies very difficult (I remember that I asked you these questions more than once in 2009), but ... It's possible to do the following: suppose that the dragon - is the boss in the end of the map and the special place of the battle area in which there'll be a battle (as the court battle with the magician in Dal's II). So, the dragon by tptpt will use the Wyvern's flight animation, moving from place to place and when the dragon will stop he'll attack the player. I only consider the possible options for the "scene" and consider the examples that already exist but I ask you since you know alot more than anyone else. I'm only confused by one fact as wyvern has 4 animations (or how many then you spoke?) and the dragon is much more. Therefore I 'm not sure whether it's possible together wyvern to deliver to flight animation a dragon?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 am

I'm sure there is some way to do it. Given time and patience. :D maybe there could be a dummy helper built into the model to set a sort of ground-level..... but what happens if he flies over a building? If you create a char up in the air he will stay there usually. Until he moves and then he drops to the ground. Same if you create him half-buried. There must be a routine in the engine that keeps chars on the ground. No way I can think of to defeat this.

The Wyvern anims are done in a sequence. If I remember right, he will start round the corner of the castle - to the right of the bridge as you walk in. Then he flies round under the bridge and does a circuit and lands on a tower near the entrance gate. If you look up as you cross the drawbridge you can catch him growling at you. Then he lifts off and switches to the final animation where he just goes round and round the island for the duration of the level. But he is just an object. No free will. :lol:

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Trinitron! :D

It is possible to increase the dragon, but there are huge difficulties (for me) to create or adapt animation from Wyvern to tp_Dragon. Different models have different number, structure, orientation, ... etc of bones. But may be there are some original NWN animations to tp_Dragon?
In my opinion using models and animations of dragons from Gothic II can be fast and better solution for your mod.
Now I try to import some simple 3D objects from Gothic to 3DMAX. For example:

http://youtu.be/meOCdtOdh9g

Hi Prospero! :D

Ok, I'll try to do something.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”