News: Character Creations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Hi Prospero.

Qurstion about 3DMax.

I use your steps:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">To test a basic object....

Create a box about 1000mm square. Save file.

Open Material Editor

Select the sphere in the top left.

Enter a material name instaed of Material#1 - MyBoxTex (or whatever)

Select the box.

Open 'Modify' panel on the right.

click "UVWMap"

click "Box" in Parameters panel - an orange line will appear on object.

In Material editor, click Assign Material to Selection button. The box will change colour to the colour of the sphere.

Click Create tab

With the box still selected, click Group tab at the top. Then click Group from the rollout. In the window that appears, enter:

Blade_Object_MyBox

click OK and Save.

ALL objects and characters are grouped starting Blade_Object_ (exactly). The final name is whatever you chose and this is the Internal name that you create it with in the game.

Finally, go to File -> Export. Pick .BOD from the rollout. (If this option is not there, you haven't got the plugins installed.)

Name the file (The internal name is best, saves confusion)

MyBox.BOD<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

All OK, I've really .BOD file in my folder and I 'install' new .BOD file to Blade and start game. New model working OK. But I use 3DMaxR2.

When I uninstall maxR2 and install maxR2.5 I do too most. I got export file and..... I've error: there is small window and says that she doesn't understand structure of file which I wish to export as .BOD model.

Why? I 'install' all dlls and dle plugins in maxR2 and maxR2.5, but maxR2.5 not export in .BOD format my model.[:(]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Trinitron

Did you type the extension .BOD after the file name? I find you have to do this even if you have already picked the .BOD option in the dropdown list.

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Hi Prospero.

You're right, thank you, I need to be attentive.[:I]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Max is a bit like the LED. It has a few odd habits. [8)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Dear Pro,

can you yourself create and import ready-made model in Blade? TP said that in his tpbladecharstools there are problems with several models that don't get to run in the Blade (mean, that he tpbladecharstools made an error in these models). So I got a question: I took a model of tpbladetools and just run it in max, texture too.

You probably know how this model is completely transformed into a fully working character in Blade? What would this model could superimpose the animation and everything else, as with ready BOD models in the Blade.[:)]

Maybe can you could describe it? I believe, what is it would be detailed valuable tutorial if you've sometime written it. For example I can't issue naked model of the character without program TP and add anchors for animation, attacks and other.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Trintron.

It's a difficult subject to explain. The main thing the TP script helps with is the tedious process of creating the Blade_Skeleton group. This is just a copy of the Blade_Skin, but every object in the Skeleton group needs to have all it's polygons detatched and attached again. Otherwise you get problems with scale. Doing it manually takes ages and you generally make a mistake and have to start again. It's good practice to work in versions. When you get one stage done, Save as and add _v2 or whatever to the file name. Then you can always revert to a previous stage if you foul up.
TP script also renames all the parts and creates the pivot points in the correct places and makes the anchors and collision edges. Most of the time this works fine and you can use the model as it is. But sometimes you need to ungroup the skeleton and do small adjustments to the pivots etc. You can if you wish add extra anchor points at this stage.
Next time I do make a char model I'll see if I can do a tut. [:)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Hi Prospero.

I understand - it's really hard part. Especially for those people who deliberately doesn't deal with 3d-modelling for 3dsmax.

Either way, I myself can't understand how you can model their own anchors and do everything else that we could get a qualitative model of a new character ...

I've never seen this myself hardly able to understand.
In a particular case - now.

I hope that you sometime will make it, it'll be valid very valuable job for the future as well as yours script tuts for Blade.[8)]

** btw. I install max8 and install TPBladeTools for max8. I look at this tut: http://tptpt.bigtruck-canada.ca/Tutoria ... mple1.html
When the TP makes export model format .mdl him in export's a choice format "Neverwinter Nights Models (.mdl)".

Where can I get this plugin? TP said that it "MDL Plug-In Suite". I downloaded it, but it's only max5 ... 5 files from the archive "MDL Plug-In Suite" I set a folder "max8/plugins", then run max8, I've an error to load all plugins:

Or maybe he used a different plugin?

*** btw2. I found "MDL Plug-In Suite" for max6. This plugins work for max8 ver nice. I found it via site http://web.archive.org as site http://roboius.dladventures.com doesn't work. Very interesting, I went through web.archive to the site and from there was able to download the file. I was very lucky, usually there is almost never files are not downloaded.[8)]

This site: http://web.archive.org/web/200502041216 ... dl-plugin/

MDL Plug-In Suite v1.1b4 for max6 (and max8): http://web.archive.org/web/200502041216 ... 4-max6.zip

*** btw3. Pro.[:)] I found some brand new models from Neverwinter Nigths 1. About ~20 models, I've a mdl and tga files. I would be very grateful if you do in the coming days (I don't hurry you
.[8)]) to compile a tutorial, perhaps I can create new characters (like I've learned to export mdl files to and from max8 max8 files, ready for processing for the blade to max25.

Look screens:

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Trintron.

The first thing to do is to once you get your model imported from NWN is to scale it. Select the whole thing and use the scale tool (click and drag) to make it about 2000 high. To check, just create a box that is 2000 high and use it as a ruler. Notice in this veiwport setup, the character faces UP in the top veiw. You must have them pointing this way. Easier to tell with female models. [:p]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Save your file as nameofcharacter_a.max. The _a denotes the versions or stages in building.

Next you may have to do some minor adjustments to the model. All the parts are linked in a hierachy from the torso outwards when you import them. Select one of the thighs in the front veiw and use the rotate tool to spread the legs a little.....

Because the rest of the leg is linked to the thigh, all the parts will go with it.

* Note that the Front veiw, you are actually looking at the back of the model. I keep all the veiws apart from the Perspective in Wireframe mode.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Maximise the Perspective veiw and use the Arc Rotate tool (bottom left) to check the model all round. Don't use this tool in the other viewports.....

Check the list of objects by clicking Select By Name button at the top. A window will appear. It should look like this:

You should have all these parts on a Human model. All end with _g (for geometry). I delete all the NWN dummies before exporting to 3DS. If you still have some of these, delete them now. They will be the ones without _g on the end.

Next, get all the .tga texture files. These need to be converted to .bmp format. Put the .bmpsin a folder in the LED Texture Compiler. If any are not square, resize them. e.g 128x64 to 128x128.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

You can rename the bitmaps if you like. Copy the all the bitmaps and paste them in a temporary folder. Them rename them one by one with _W on the end. These are the wounded textures. Whether or not you want to draw wounds on them is up to you, but you must have these wounded textures.

When you have all your bitmaps in place, open the Materials Editor in max by clicking the button at the top.

You will notice that one of the Balls in the palette at the top is highlighted. You need to assign each ball a material. In the field where it says Material #1, type in the exact name of one of the bitmaps you made earlier (not a _W one), without the .bmp extension.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

When you have done this, click the button next to 'Diffuse'. The Materials Browser window will appear. On this window, click 'Bitmap'.
The Material Editor window will change to look like this:

Type in the bitmap name again. Exactly as before. Then click Bitmap: button. Browse to the LED Textures Compile for the correct bitmap.

Click OK and the ball at the top will take on this texture.

Next, select the part on the model that the bitmap belongs to. In this case, the head. Click 'Assign Material To Selection' and then click 'Show Map In Viewport'. The bitmap appears on the model.

Then select the next ball at the top of the Materials Editor and repeat the process for all the other parts.

All textures in NWN models are mirrored. E.G. you don't need separate textures for the right and left arms. One texture will fit both. You can have separate R/L textures if you wish them to be different. Same applies to the Head/Neck/Pelvis/Torso. One side will be a mirror of the other as far as textures are concerned. If you want a different texture on one side of these parts, you have to divide the mesh, but I won't dwell on that at the moment.

* I think that's enough to be going on with. [:D] More Later.........

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

OK. Next Step.

When you have all the textures assigned the model should look like this:

Go To File and save as _b version. Your _a version is safe then.

Now to create the extra Nodes needed. Maximise the Front viewport and open TPCharTools.

Click AutoWork Humain. And then Create Nodes.

The extra Nodes are:

Rass
Lass
Rshould
Lshould
Rknee
Lknee
Rwrist
Lwrist
Relbow
Lelbow

You need to edit these nodes. The first one is ready selected and the sub-object selection mode for vertexes ready activated.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Select the lower vertexes by dragging a selection area around them.

This will form the Rass Node

Press Delete.

Select the Lass node. Click Sub Object button and repeat the operation. Then go though the other extra Nodes one at a time until you get this.

Remember, all the Nodes that need to be edited are Capitalized.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Save As and name and add another b

TutChar_bb (It's just the way I do it. [8)])

select the neck_g and Edit -> Clone. You now have an identical copy of the neck_g named neck_g01 in exactly the same place.

Open the Modify tab on the right. Select the torso and click Attach. Click the Select By Name button at the top and highlight neck_g01. Click Pick and a window will pop up. Select 'Do Not Modify Mat IDs or Materials' in this window. Click OK and the neck_g01 is attached to the torso. (If you don't do this, the neck tends to be distorted.

Next, select the torso again and Attach the shoulders. You can use the Attach Multiple option for this.

Next, select the pelvis and Attach the belt_g

Note. The belt and shoulder pads are optional. You can also make other extra parts and Attach them.

The Model is now ready for the final stage so Save As and add_c to the name.