News: Character Creations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Sleeping guys.[:D]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Cool! [:D]

Harrison
Dragon

Post by Harrison »

Hi all bladers!

New archive of max-files with original Blade characters is located here:

http://uploading.com/files/get/e7925658/3DCharsMAX3.rar

Now these models have special markup of the polygons by numbers of smoothing groups. After export to .BOD-format they can be broken up into pieces as well as the original persons.

In order to see this special markup, you must do the following steps in 3DSMAX:

- select group "Blade_Object_Nameofperson"
- ungroup this group (Group -> Ungroup in Main Panel)
- select group "Blade_Skin" that contains mesh with normal textures
- ungroup this group (optional)
- Main Panel -> Views -> View Port Configuration -> Rendering Method
-> Rendering Level -> check "Wireframe" option
- select the "Nameofperson" model
- Command Panel -> Modify -> Modifire Stack -> Editable Mesh ->
Sub-Object -> Face -> Edit Face -> Selection Level -> Sub Object -> Face -> Edit Surface -> Selection -> Face -> Smoothing Groups -> press button "Select By Smooth Group".
You will see window with inactive buttons with numbers.
- press any button with numbers in this window -> appropriate smoothing groups will be highlighted in red.

Attention! Don't press "Clear All" button in Smoothing Groups Panel! The markup will be removed!

Also "Blade_Mutilations" group (that contains mesh with textures with wounds) has a special markup. To see this markup you have to repeat the same steps.

Next models have not the "Blade_Mutilations" group, therefore they can not be broken up into pieces and adapt textures of wounds:

Ank.BOD
Ank2.BOD
bat.BOD
Chk.BOD
Crw.BOD
Dgk.BOD
Drg_stone.BOD
Gargoyle_Stone_Form.BOD
Gdm.BOD
pio.BOD
rat.bod
seagull.BOD
vejete.BOD
Wyv.BOD
Last edited by Harrison on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi guys! [:)]

I tried unsuccessfully to change and implement a character in the game, but seeing the giant dwarf model in action I ask if it would be possible create a tutorial on how to modify and implement characters in the game. [8D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi IG. [:D]

Are you trying to implement a complete new race or just use a new mesh?
And is this in the main game or a mod?

Using a mesh on top of an existing race model is fairly simple. A whole new race in the main game is not. I wouldn't do it.[8)]

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi pro! [:D]

I just try to implement a modified mesh. And I want to use this on a mod but also in NAM v1.4 xD

This is a example

It´s possible?

Barbarian Medium Armour [;)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Very nice! [:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

OK.

I create a file InitNewChars.py to pre-load the .BOD files.

This has pairs of lines like this:

Code: Select all

BBLibc.LoadBOD("..\\..\\3DChars\\Link_A.BOD") 
BBLibc.ReadBOD("..\\..\\3DChars\\Link_A.BOD")
for each new .BOD

It's is critical that this file is executed at the right place in the load routine. I exe it from cfg.py

execfile("..\\..\\Scripts\sys_init.py")

Bladex.ReadLevel("ProsperoArena6.lvl")

execfile("InitNewChars.py") # must go here

execfile("..\\..\\Scripts\BladeInit.py")

execfile("DefFuncs.py")
execfile("enemigos.py")
execfile("objs.py")
etc......
To make sure the same is done in loading a saved game, you must have a file ActorsInit.py. (Exactly that name) and put the same execfile line in there.

To actually install the new .BOD to it's right place I create a folder - To3DChars - and put the new .BOD file in there. Then create a file: Installnewstuff.py. You will find one in all of my maps. It is executed from the end of the BLModInfo.py.

inststuff=0

if inststuff==0:
	execfile("../../BODLoader/Mods/ProsperoArena6/Installnewstuff.py")
      	instuff=1

It also works to install new sound files, animations and objects. Basically, if the file doesn't exist in the destination folder or is an older version, it will copy the file to the right place. Once there it will stay there unless you re-install the game.

If you do all this, you should me able to use the SetMesh("InternalNameOfChar") command. As long as the new mesh has the same number of nodes as the model you are applying to, it should work.

That's the theory anyway. Any questions/problems - give a shout. [:D]

btw. To check new char models are 'right' before using them in action, I like to create them as and object first. Use the same creation code but omit the final ,"Person") argument. You can then examine the model for any missing texture or other weirdness.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Pro,
I have been loading new BODs straight from a subfolder of my mod, and everything seems to work ok. Is there a reason why you install the BODs to the \3DChars\ folder?

BBLibc.LoadBOD("..\Isle\Isle_Objs\Dwf_G.BOD")
BBLibc.ReadBOD("..\Isle\Isle_Objs\Dwf_G.BOD")

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Not really come to think of it. [8)] Just one of those "I've always done it like that things"

I think there might have been a reason for it at one time, but whatever it was probably no longer applies.

I did arrange the file structure in demo amps so new char data could be accessed from another map, thus saving having to duplicate all the files. That's probably a hang-on to the days of dial up when saving a bit of weight was important.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Thanks pro! Thanks SR! [:D]

I´ll try to release this next version of mod most early possible. [:I]

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi guys, I have a little problem to finish the mod. My problem is the file "BodLink.list", because to see the new ".BODs" I need to add into the file:

..\..\3DOBJS\object.BOD
object

I try to use the method "InitNewChars.py" and "Installnewstuff.py" and everything is ok but when I load the level with the new objects the charge of level fail.

What could be wrong? [B)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Could be lots of things IG.

Forget writing to the BodLink.list. It's a clunky method and has certain glitches.

First check that there is a .BOD file in the 3DObjs folder.

Check that the name is right.....

..\..\3DOBJS\object.BOD # this must be the name of the file
object # this must be the Internal name that you gave the Group in max

If you like, send me the .BOD file and I'll check it in a map.

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Sorry if I don´t explain well pro, the problem is only "BodLink.list" and how I can do the same effect with InitNewChars.py without modifying the original "BodLink.list"? [B)]

With ArmourMod installed but don´t working I replace the BodLink by another with all ..\..\3DOBJS\######.BOD includes and work.

The problem is how can I replace this with the same effect but with InitNewChars.py.

Sorry for my english. [xx(]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

This is the problem with replacing source files. It only works once. If someone else had done a mod that replaced the same file then other mods that do the same would stop working unless you uninstalled/installed them every time.

The InitNewChars method only loads the BODs that are required for the particular mod/map while it is running. It doesn't need the BodLink.list to refer to.