New Character: The Wizard

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

jamesclarke555
Hatchling

Post by jamesclarke555 »

Pro, gotta love that Wizard man. What's the latest on this? Is it still in the mix? Not heard anything for a while.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Yes he is still in the pipeline.[:D] Masklin has sent me some unused magic code he did for MoriaMod and I am going to incorperate it if I can. But I don't want to release the demomap until there is a proper new model for the character. (I am using Knight for testing.)

In the meanwhile I have been making a Dal Gurak map where you can play as Dal. All his magic attacks are usable with a few new ones thrown in. His combat skills are not all that great. He relies on his personal bodyguards who he can control to a certain extent.

Stay Tuned....

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Ok time to bump up this topic.[8D]

I have dug out the wiz test map abd given it a dusting down.

As everyone will have a different conception of what the char should look like, I have had an idea. The NWN chars that TP is producing work
great with existing human animations so I thought of using one as the
base model and putting a skin selection option in the menu where you can select the one you like.

Good Idea?

Yes[]
No []

This is one I picked at random. I thinkhe looks very good.[8)]

(I named him 'Masklin' btw. In honour of errrrr.....Masklin!

Gorgon2
Whelp

Post by Gorgon2 »

I vote YES. Those human models tptpt has been producing look good in the screenies I've seen.

brian
Dragon

Post by brian »

Looks good...[:)]
He should be a tall dude, like the Barbarian, and not a shorty, like the Dwarf.

taurus
Whelp

Post by taurus »

Hi mates

Pro, I also vote YES for the NWN character you chose, it looks pretty good from the picture you posted.

On a side note though :
You haven't clearly stated what system you were to use for the way the wizard will cast spells. I have to admit I like Esfumatos proposal much more than yours (the one with numkeys) [8)]. (Although I bet everyone here knows by experience your choices won't disappoint [:)])
Casting spells as you execute a combo, and having various sticks /wands/magic objects (maybe losing their power through use, so that a magic key will only be efficient for X doors) for different sets of spells. (like, one for non-combat-spells, and maybe two different for combat situations -see esfumatos post-).

And a prolly stupid idea :
What I am mostly looking forward to is the disarm attack. I bet it will be great, but I think we should able to take advantage of it (well, not that the big mino here not slicing me anymore isn't great, but I'd like to say hello to his mum as well meanwhile [:D]) . If we assign a special stick to this spell, why not make it so that the stick has only one attack combo : a finishing move, very exhausting though, leaving you in 'breathing stance' for a long while, which means you DONT want to risk it if your opponent is still shielded or if armed foes are likely to be nearby ? You could also make this stick very fragile for the same purpose.
Bah, as I said, prolly stupid.
Btw, do the disarmed ennemies pick up their weapons by themselves whithout any additional code ? I was supposing they aren't, meaning this disarm spell is very powerful, hence my attempt at finding a system to make it 'complex' or 'risky' to use... Maybe a long and difficult combo would be just as good.

CHeers, looking forward to your work (I kinda wish this is not detracting you from F-IV [:D])

taurus
Whelp

Post by taurus »

oh, and I think he should be called 'Taurus' instead.

Gorgon2
Whelp

Post by Gorgon2 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by taurus</i>

oh, and I think he should be called 'Taurus' instead.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nah - Rincewind! [:D]

big truck
Dragon

Post by big truck »

[:)]

I vote: YES, good idea !

[:)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Well, I am trying to devise the magic attacks so that they are easy to do in combat. They are mostly executed to hit enemies out of melee
range, so that is why I didn't build them into combos. As it is, if you have a spell enabled and your enemy is out of melee range, then the spell is executed. But if the spell misses or doesn't kill the enemy and he comes near, then normal attacks are used automatically. (I used similar system in Dals Revenge with the mace). The Wiz has a staff and sword.
Both have different attacks bound to them. He can only do magic range attacks while holding the staff. I want to add more combos and magic abilities to the sword. At the mo it only glows when enemies are near.

I did the numberkey selection in preference to using a cycle-inventory type setup as it is quicker to pick the right spell in an emergency. I have 9 spells enabled. All have advantages in certain situations. I suppose they could be triggered like combos by doing the right combination of keystrokes. Not so easy to do in code though.
Most combos follow on from a basic attack move, which would look silly if your enemy was a distance away......

The disarm spell works OK so far. Enemy weapons and shields shatter. One prob is that enemies have no unarmed combat moves, so you have to replace the lost weapon with an invisible one with no hit points. This works OK but I notice that enemies still seem to be able to do as much damage holding these invisible weapons. (???) If you don't give them weapons of some type, they just run around in confusion, which isn't really fair....[B)]

TP is looking for a good base model for the Wiz in NWN. Unfortunately,
it is not possible to extract player chars that you create yourself.[:(] I did one in the Druid class that looked great to me. Hopefully, if we can find a good head to give him a basic identity, it can be welded on to a selection of different costumes so the Wiz can switch them during the game. Also he could have shape-shifting abilities and transform into peasants/soldiers/werewolves/whatever to disguise himself.

Also, I thought he needed an assistant (female[:p]) and a pet familiar. TP is looking for a (small)cat, but I am hoping for a badger.[:)]

tptpt
Dragon

Post by tptpt »

Hi Pro !

Cat run ok,used tiger anim ![;)]
Dowload it :http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tptptmods/NEWCHARACTERS/Cat.zip

Later!!!!!!!
Badger run ok,used tiger anim ![;)]
Dowload it :http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tptptmods/NEWCH ... Badger.zip

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

WoooweeeeeeeeeeeeeTP. I am begining to think that you have magic powers.[:0]

Just mailed you this pic:

Go get him boy!

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

I vote yes also, and if that pic is of the wizard them it is cool.

big truck
Dragon

Post by big truck »

[:p][:p][:p]

Woawwww yyyeeee

These new characters look very promising !! But what about the anims ? Can we expect to use soon some new anims (coming from others games[:p][8D]) or is it too difficult (today[;)]) ?

An other thing that would be great, is to move the lips (working on the textures of the head, if we can swap the skins of a character while the game is playing, we can move his lips too), so we would have an illusion of conversations[8D]... and last step, speaking ourselves and making records with our voices [:D][8D][:I][:p]! We would have some nice cutscenes, with real dialogs, wouldn't we?.

What about this idea ? [;)][8D]

[:p][:p][:p]

tptpt
Dragon

Post by tptpt »

Hi BigTruck,

I'm not sure is possible to move the lips with animate texture but if someone know how to do it will be great![:)]
So an other way is possible , it's to add a mesh jaw in the model but it should not be compatible with existing animation, so afther need to rebuild all animations SO BIG WORK !But I will make tests.
To add new anims from other games is not easy because needed the 3ds models animed from other games and they have never the same numbers of nodes ,so the anims bugs.But I evers do some new models with their new anims come from NWN , need lot of work but possible .For exemple Dragon,Tiger,Bear,BigSpiders,...[;)]