New Character: The Wizard

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

big truck
Dragon

Post by big truck »

[:)]

hmm... seems to be a little problem to install this version.

The automatic installation (with BOD Loader)only copies these files in BOD/Maps:

instead of:

as it is supposed to do.

So, I made a manual installation, and copied all the new files (objs, amims etc...) in the right folders. But the mod do not launch [:(]

What to do now?[8)]

brian
Dragon

Post by brian »

No luck here either. I tried it on a fresh installation of BoD as well (with Allies & Talksystem).

The map loads almost to the end but then crashes out to the desktop without any error message.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Whoops! Sorry about that.[:I]

I appeared to have missed a zombie out.

Nobody d/l map until I do some more checks.

Later.....

OK

Anyone who has already d/l the map please grab this patch:

http://www.petrbnsfineart.com/bladestuf ... Zombie.zip

Unzip to the 'To3DChars' folder.

I won't update the main copy yet in case there are more cock-ups.

brian. [8D] If this fixes it, can you let me know?

Anyone who has had test installations previously, please make sure they are all uninstalled and delete files:

Config/WizardsDomain.cfg
Scripts/WizardsDomainMenu.py

if they are present.

brian
Dragon

Post by brian »

Hey prospero,

Downloaded the patch and the map loads okay now[:D].
Looking forward to trying it out thoroughly this weekend.[8D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Thanks brian.[:D]

The main copy in now updated so safe to download.

I am interested to hear opinions on the difficulty level. It is very hard to judge for myself. It find does tend to get harder on the higher levels.

His animations are a mixture of the original 4 characters with a few taken from enemies. Although melee combat is not his srong point, he has some fancy footwork. Try the dodge attacks.[;)]

* The backyard will quickly get covered in arms and legs and assorted crap. To keep the framerate up, go ring the doorbell.

** There is an occaisional bug with a skel archer up on the cliff overlooking the second floor open area leading to the tower. For some reson he sometimes does not 'hide' properly and you can 'see' him although only the string on his bow is visible. If this happens, just climb up and kill him or allies tend to go bananas trying to reach him.

big truck
Dragon

Post by big truck »

OK, I deleted the two files and... all works fine nowwwwww[:p]

Really a lot of work to do this level, and hight quality[8D][8D]!!

I have not still explored the whole map, that is huge with a lot of new ambiances (the cooler, etc...), but what I can say is that all these new chars and objs are a big success[:p][:p]... thanks to TPTPT too, who opened the way to add some new model in BOD[;)].

If you want, I can make a french translation of your map, tell me only how to do with the files and I'll do it, so that your next version will be a multilangage mod. Why not a spanish one, too[:)] if there is a volunteer?

It would be nice if the player wasn't obliged to copy manually the 4 sets of files in the original folders (chars, objs, anms, sounds), because only modders, mappers or advanced players are easy with these manipulations... Once in the folders, these new objects don't need to be removed even if they are not used in the other maps.

I have fun with your map, I return in BOD nowwwww [:p][:p][;)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

[:D]

It's mostly the spellbook that needs translation. I have the basic graphics for the pages. I think in retrospect that I didn't design it too well as regards the sword combo pages. Putting 4 on one page actually makes it complicated as you need about 15 pages to cover all the combinations (1/1-2/1-2-3/1-2-3-4/1-3-4/ etc......) I might redo that bit. There are a few captions and object names, etc.

Once the map is installed all the new objects/chars can be used in any other maps. I used a different install routine for them so that they can still be used even if you uninstall the whole wiz map. (This doesn't include the texture (.mmp) files). The .BOD files are quite small as a rule and do no harm.

All data and class definitions, etc to initialise the new chars is contained in subfolders within the mod. This means that as long as the wiz map is installed you can create the Wizard in <i>any </i> map
without including all the graphics and data in your own map. You simply have to add the file path to the subfolder to the YourMap.cfg
and ActorsInit.py in your own map. (Instructions in ReadMe). You can also use the Menu stuff by copying it to your map and editing the map name only.

There is a tunnel that leads to a small altar (past the Troll). If you 'use' this then Gandalf (Sorry. Only pic I could find...) will appear and tell you if you can go on past the gate. Further on there is a sunlit area with a little temple. Entering though any of the 4 arches will make a rune tablet appear. Using these is intended to take you to the next map. At the mo there aren't any,(except on my PC) so the map will end and go to menu. I have versions of the 4 start maps that I intend to do Wizard versions of and put in more new enemies.[:p] You can then procede though a sequence of maps like the main game, with all inventory items/life/level intact.

Apart from the Wizard stuff I have done some tweaks to the NPC behaviour. Allies will move about more and not just stand about. If you see an enemy sneaking up behind an ally and he hasn't noticed, pressing lock-on key will make them look around. They also send secret signals to each other which is why they have a tendency to stick togther. The Cat and Badger work well in conjunction with human allies as they tend not to hit one another and can get under the enemies guard and bite/slash their legs. I gave the Badger a powerful bite attack. Sometimes they will get lost or get their head stuck in railings, but real pets do that.[B)]

** I think a big pat on the back is owed to TP for getting the models.
IMHO they compare well with the RAS models and in fact the texures look sharper and more detailed. (They look better than in NWN.lol). They are also easier to modify as they are all divided into seperate body parts. There are literaly 1000's of BOD-friendly models that could be used and all the character parts are interchangeable. Possiblities are endless. Only drawback at the mo is the animations.
All tools/methods are available to create new ones but getting good results is not easy. Wiz uses the basic Dwarf set of animations with a mix from other chars added.

btw. If anyone is wondering why he can't run with a bow, for some reason all the running-with-bow animations don't work very well with him (his legs go though the floor). So I gave him a slightly speeded up walk anim instead.

He is not a bad shot with a bow.[8)]

brian
Dragon

Post by brian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

OK Folks. [:D]

V1.0 Wizard map is just about ready.[:)] (I think.)

http://www.petrbnsfineart.com/bladestuf ... Domain.zip

It's a biggish download (18mb), so if anyone has d/l probs I will see if I can split it into bite-size chunks.

The map is purely a demo so there is an everlasting supply of respawning enemies. Explore around to find hidden areas and discover all sorts of interesting stuff.

Installation should be simple. Unzip to BODLoader/Mods and away you go...[:p]

There are 16 alternative meshes, all selectable in the menu. Also a buddy to help you out. The original 'wizgirl' assistant is not in this version as she needs more work to get her just right.

**Allies mod is essential**

All the text is still English only. (Next job.[8)])

I was going to put in all new enemies but I thought the map was big enough as is, so I have just included TP's Zombies and Skels. They do come in lots of different meshes however. I you want a good laff, wait until you have a few Zombies gathered around and engage Magic Power.

There is also 58 new objects.[:0]

Give it a whirl and see what you think.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've only played for a few hours so far, but this is just fantastic stuff.[:D]
Both you and tptpt have done a terrific job on this. You're being modest calling it <i>just a demo</i>. I mean its packed with tonnes of new stuff.
I think you implemented the magic system very well. It doesn't take long to get used to. The spells I've found so far are fun. Assigning a different coloured glow to each spell is a great idea.

Little touches, like the wizard breathing a cold mist, really show a high level of detail.
The new models & weapons are great. Congrats to both you and tptpt.

I love the werewolf. I couldn't get him to work in my Nemrut map so its good to see him animated at last.[:)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Glad you like the Werewolf brian. I like the way he can knock the head off a Traitor Knight with one swipe. But watch out for the Ragnars who are all armed with anti-werewolf swords.[B)]

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Post by Ianna Keeper »

Hi! Prospero I grabbed the wizard domain recently and it's fascinating!!

I didnt suprised ,because In my opinion you and TPTPT are master of modding.When I showed this mod to my friends who plays World of Warcraft(I hate it[:(!])day and night.They shocked and asked me the name of game many times[:)]..

I have some questions and I think you are map designer of this map,so......Where should I have to go to find magic sword??!![:D] I found every magics but for only djal.I dont know sth about the sword spells[xx(]

btw I found a few bugs.I think the most problem is about throwing weapons.They often pass from inside of enemies.Another boring bug is about Maskin face.Who scribbled his face?[B)]I want to make it better.I decided to import the textures from Bab or SGIMMPWS and paint it again.Does it work?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Greetings Ianna Keeper.[:D]

There are a few ocasional bugs. The throwing spell was something I put in at last moment. Yes, sometimes they miss or pass though enemies. They are guided to the point where the ememy is on release so it's best if they are stationary or coming straight toward you.

The Magic Sword (whos name only the wizard can pronounce), is lying on the open book on the table.[;)]

Sorry about Gandalf.[:I] It was the only wizardy pic I could find when I did it. The effect came out of my (failed) experiments to make
foliage for trees. You have to do the face against a black background
about 256sq and then make a mask bitmap same size (black) to cover the black part of the background with the centre (the place where the face is) transparent. Then compile it like this:

Code: Select all

import BaBx 

s1=BaBx.BitmapData("TESTSHEET1","TESTSHEET1.bmp",1,"TESTSHEET1MASK.bmp") 

l1=[s1] 

BaBx.ProcessBitmaps(l1,"TrueColourAlpha") 

So ","TESTSHEET1.bmp" is the face on a black background and
"TESTSHEET1MASK.bmp" is the same but with the face cut out.

I was tying to make it so that all the black parts of the texture are transparent and all the other colours are fully opaque so that you could make branches with lots of leaves using a simple flat plane, but the leafy parts always go too transparent.

Have Fun[:D]

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Post by Ianna Keeper »

d'oh!..[xx(] Nobody can ask such a silly question as me[:D].I didnt take magic sword at the begining of game due to open slot for other weapons and then forgot it completely[:I].Anyway, I'll restart again because load doesn't work.(dont know why)

I'll work on Masklin face at this weekend.If I can do it ,I 'll shout..

btw I dont have any problem with gandalf ,but it is good to know how to do[:)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Ho Ho.[:D] It takes genius to see the obvious.[;)]

btw. I anyone gets any saves that won't load, you can mail the files to me if you like so I can debug them. I think there may be a lingering save bug with the healing spells.

make sure you get all:

(n=slot number)

n.bmp
n.sv
SaveGamen.py

plus folder:

SaveGamen_files

peterrobinsonfineart[at]btinternet.com

Bown
Dragon

Post by Bown »

Prospero, one question:

More versions for Wizard?? and new efects, magic ataks ....

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

[:)] I was intending to do Wizard versions of all the main game maps that follow on from the demo. But I have been slightly preoccupied fooling with other stuff.[:p]

If you have any ideas for extra magic abilities plz post them and I will see if they are possible.