Severance Expansion Pack

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

thewispo2005
Hatchling

Severance Expansion Pack

Post by thewispo2005 »

<b>When Severance:BoD was released, myself and a few college buddies got together to write a possible Severance:BoD 2. We came up with alot of good ideas but work commitments and family got infront. Life is more settled now and it's something we want to finish. It's pretty evident that there will never be a BoD 2.But, with the co-operation of many, i am looking to create The Ultimate Mod for Blade of Darkness. An expansion pack which will be viewed upon as Severance 2. It's going to take alot of work, looking at what we have pulled together at the moment, it's at least another 1 - 2 years in the making. I need story writers/website creators/character creators/Map builders and much more. To celebrate Severance to the remaining fans out there i call upon any of you who would be willing to assist. Interested? email me at [email protected]

your input, however small will be very appreciated and acknowledged.

Thank you all in advance, Dan.</b>

Gorgon2
Whelp

Post by Gorgon2 »

This sort of thing has been suggested before. It's a good idea but hasn't happened in a team fashion as it's very hard to co-ordinate with all the people with the abilities required dotted all over the planet.

Currently I'd say there are actually more people frequenting these boards with new ideas and different skills than there has been for a long time. I'd suggest a search through some back posts and you'll be able to find the names of those who've put their hands up for this before but if you can co-ordinate it, it might go somewhere.

PS - please turn off the <b>bold</b> [:)]

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

I was thinking to do a BOD presecuel, I mean "BOD 0", with the storyline of Blade but telling the first war against the lord of Darkness, The story is told in the game and the characters should be Frair the dwarf king, Gorlond the knight, Amlach the bowman, Nergal the blacksmith who did the weapons at Xsathra, Sawan the guide of the heroes, and Eresh Kigal who defeated the lord of the darkness and died after the battle.

You can take a look at BOD\DATA\TEXT\ and see the *.txts files

For BOD 2 I prefer a modern age like 20th century or something because the Lord of Darkness only try to get the earth every thousends of years, so I disapoint about that always be at medieval ages with swords and bows.

I think that it is interesting to discuss about mods that are posible to do, but now my first priority is to set up a 24 hours server to play BOD online, and then, if possible, try to mod for multiplayer.

thewispo2005
Hatchling

Post by thewispo2005 »

Gorgon2 you're right. i think now is the time to take on such a project. there's 3 of us on the team at the moment. if i can get enough people together, each member of the team will have a specific task to suit their skills. at a set period of time we'll get the work together to see where it's going etc. some nice ideas esfumato. send us some mail when you're ready to join the team :)

Axle Stone
Whelp

Post by Axle Stone »

Wispo2005, maybe you should contact some of the members of RAS and interest them in releasing an open source of game?? Here on forum was topic about continues of BOD and creating BOD2, you should read it.Seek out this forum.
I"d like to join you, but seems me too far from UK.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Welcome thewispo2005.[:D]

The project interests me greatly, butI don't know if I can commit to the project fully as I have a lot of projects of my own cooking.[:p] But you can count on me for any help and support with bits of code, etc.[;)]

What ideas have you got so far?

Caboose
Hatchling

Post by Caboose »

I read this topic yesterday and i think that an expansion for Severance Blade of Darkness is gona be GREAT.Congradulations to every one of you guys that are making it [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Post by Ianna Keeper »

woohoo! 3 year latency! [:P]

krehmall
Dragon

Post by krehmall »

we getting happy to early ,like the game is already exist[:p]let us get seorious so we can rest after the game will be done ,and we will celebrate then !!!!!!![:D]
i ready to take part of this work as i guess most of us ready!
i guess you esfumato right about the start of the story ,so i guess the game will be named Blade of darkness:the great war of the sword cos at some of texts of the game describes it its where its talking about the Freir the dwarven hero and why not let us this be GAME and not MOD .[^]so lets plan about what we will create!![:)]

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

I think that the best Idea is the pre-secuel of BOD.

It should be not so hard to do, as it only needs some new player characters. posible to be done.
10 or more secuencial maps. posible to be done.
new sounds, voices,...

The biggest problem is to introduce new animations.

Lets wait and see.

Daxon
Dragon

Post by Daxon »

If you need a picture for a visual result of a character idea contact to me -> [email protected] [|)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Well Folks, I don't see why an entirely new BOD can't be made as a stand-alone game in itself. Just make a folder called "BODII"(or whatever) and copy the Bin folder from the original game into it. The Bin folder contains all the engine stuff. Then it is just a question of rebuilding a completely new game from the ground up, using the files from the original game as reference.

There are a lot of improvements that have been mentioned before that can't really be implemented without the engine sorce code (multiplayer, etc). But having said that, there is a cartload of new stuff that could be used. New characters are the obvious. No reason why all the NPC's can't be new. OK, they would still have to rely on original animations, unless someone can do new ones. Then there is the TalkSystem and Allies mods, which could be built in.

So who is going to have go at it? [:p]

krehmall
Dragon

Post by krehmall »

good then[:D], we will remake it from first BOD game ,its enoght ,but if we want to make grafic update in game we should remake the textures in LED and models , cos if we make object of texture in LED larger it looks worse [:(]and the colors of new models like in the dwarf wars must have more reality and the a little looks like in cartoon (i not trying to say bad about some things i just trying that it will be done beter cos i thing for new game its just not enoght).So if exist someway to remake the textures by any programm or someone knows to paint good.
i think we standing in one position and not moving further ,we should comunicate beter we will talk not in forum cos its long story let us work in icq[:D] .Lets us all who want to take part at BODII making
,write his own ICQ number and write what he can do for BODII[:D] that we all people will decide who and at which part he will work ,
for example I am krehmall my icq is 473202320 and i can work with LED and can script but basicly and i can be good at ideas of story [:)](sorry for my english[8)]).
does anybody agree?[:)]

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

For me the problem with the BOD engine is that to port models to the engine you need Max2, that not everyone has and don't want to bother with as they work with other 3d apps i my self am a Wings3D modeler and use Max8. I remember back them when i made a sword and was Prospero that add to have all the trouble to make it game ready and it was never really game ready as the collision never worked well. So i would love to work with you guys on this idea or on the other using the non BOD engine, but i will only do the textures and the meshes because someone else will have to make them game ready.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Guys.[:)]

Can I just introduce a sobering thought here....

I took a team of professionals (20+?) working full time for 5 years to create BOD.

Don't you think it is more realistic to work individually on smaller projects that at least stand some chance of being finished?

Over the years the modding comunity has unravelled at lot of BOD's secrets. All without help from the developers. This Forum is a great source of knowledge and now that new characters are a practical reality, the possibilities have expanded considerably. NWN contains an enormous bank of readily adaptable models, objects as well as chars. Not to mention textures, sounds and music.

So lets have some new maps.[:D] Even if it's a small one for Gladiator.[8)]. In fact let's have a competition. Anything goes as long as it's a new map. Closing date 28th Feb. All non-competitors can give marks out of 10. Winner gets Mapper of the Month award.

Go ahead, make my day.[8D]

Don't know Python? Well neither did I until I had a go.[;)] You learn as you go and there is always help available.

* I shall abstain from entering btw.[:p]