LED Question

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Trinitron
Dragon

LED Question

Postby Trinitron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi all.[:)]

With your permission, I would like to use this topic in which will ask all questions concerning LED.
Earlier similar themes were created, but far have left back.

As a whole I am am tormented very important at present by questions on it:

1) Look a screenshot.

On walls I see reflexions of structures of the sky. When I fly up close to a wall - on walls there is that structure which I have imposed in LED.
On a map structures on walls are imposed everywhere. On the future lock of a structure I work stably and are not deformed by the sky. But on walls round a tower - it is displayed.

In what the error is hidden?[B)]
Now I will try to explain more in detail following questions and the possible answer-question to the second. Following questions From here follow->

2) It is necessary to put structures in LED if you do two blocks.

Code: Select all

The first: Floor - 0, Celling - 20. The second: Floor - 20, Celling - 50.
Structures between Celling - 20 (the first) and Floor - 20 (the second) are necessary necessarily? There can be at me because of it such distortions?

3) I Will try to explain.... The Example: I have a path with which I wish to fence on each side with two eminences. The path is a rectangular block. Two eminences on each side - two rectangular blocks (so easier to explain).
We will distribute these blocks so.
The right block (the right eminence) - the Central block (road) - the Left block (the left eminence).

#################################################################
#I set Floor and Celling to the central:

Floor = 0 Celling = * Left: Floor = -20 Celling = * Right: Floor = 10 Celling = * The General ceiling start up on all three blocks áäóåò in height in 150. The structure will be - NULL. Now actually question.
#To the central block I do yes the block.

The first: Floor = 0 Celling = 10 The Second: Floor = 10 Celling = 150
#To the Right block I give the block:

Floor = 10 Celling = 150 ### It is necessary to give to the right block the bottom block? The block such: Floor = 0 Celling = 10
#To the Left block I give the block:

Floor = -20 Celling = 150 ### Or it is necessary to give not such block, and two blocks. The first: Floor = -20 Celling = 0 The Second: Floor = 0 Celling = 150
On it meanwhile everything, I like have understood the rest itself. But, I cannot move further, yet I will not find out these questions for certain.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Good idea to start a LED topic. I will sticky it.

Your question is a bit complicated. I know these things are not easy to explain in words.

Thre are many different ways to construct in LED and they will all work. But as you progress you will find that some arrangements of sectors can have bad effects on the framerate. E.g. The more sectors the 'sunlight' has to pass though the more work for the engine. Also, sectors can have unexpected effects on the enemy's pathfinding abilities.

A few important points:

No sectors should overlap.

Only sectors at the edges of the map should have the NULL texture.

All sectors should be convex. That is, all the vertices in a sector should have 'line of sight' to all the others inside the sector. In other words, no 'L' shapes. The map will still compile and run OK with non-convex sectors, but what happens is that the compiler will spilt these sectors up to make a number of convex ones and it may not do this in a way that gives good framerates.

When joining sectors, a sector that joins an existing one must be plotted onto existing vertices. This ensures that a proper portal is formed. You can tell a good join if the line at the join goes thinner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
btw. Trinitron.

I have your map working now.[:)] Just need to remove some surplus code and you can have it back. The map looks OK. Better than my first efforts at any rate.[;)] There are a few sectors that overlap. I have not compiled the newer MP file you sent me, but looking at it in LED I can see a few non-convex sectors. Nothing to worry about, Can easily be put right.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:54 pm

I.e. Convex sectors are those sectors, tops which have no any structure? I have understood you, but not up to the end. If to take sector, to set to it a floor structure, and to four walls and a ceiling not to set a structure is and there will be a convex sector which wishes to adjoin to other sectors? To adjoin its four walls and a ceiling.

But if it so, when I looked through MP maps on site Big Truck, noticed the following. Absolutely on all blocks convex or not structures have been appointed (or it seemed to me?[:I]) Whether gives a designation of structures on all blocks more correct result? Or developers of game by that tried to increase capacity of all game slightly at least thus?[:)]

Concerning my screenshot.
The error means can be what I have not set a structure to the block consisting of two blocks? I have made this screenshot from mine MP a file of a map which I have given you prospero. Can, looking in the field round a tower, to tell, because of what such error? Such bug can arises because of any things, small lacks and so on. But, if these lacks on open space and over them there is structure NULL - such distortions turn out?

Still I have noticed error constantly tormenting me.

Invisible blocks and visible blocks.

I build various blocks in LED, I connect them, I do inclinations, structures and etc. I come in LED what to look the map. I start and for example I see the invisible block, completely in framerate. But it is reparable, having constructed the block anew. And now an awful error here. I come on the card and I see the block before my nose. Usually it triangular and for all size of a map. In LED this empty place in the block, and in LED is the block about three parties in the block.
Because of what events can arise such here bugs? Really because of small defects...

** prospero. You have told that you have found some not-convex sectors on my map. Can name what? I would look what know for certain.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 am

No reply?[xx(]

add to it I wish to ask there and then.

In what file the reason of can be covered what to the character after murder there is no experience? As there is an updating BOD, it was made by one person still in 2006. In which it has transformed the basic game very strongly and to the best... It already other history.
And so, it has changed practically everyone python a file in folders Scripts, Lib.
I have started fashions DalRevenage - experience is supplemented. And here when I play the amazon (its updating was based on full transformation of the amazon in athena (Goddess)) - experience comes very seldom. You kill orks 5 - experience is not present. Then you kill one - experience goes slightly. Then all anew. This error can be because of what? I can lay out here full updating, but it completely in Russian. But how many in it only. I thought: and after all it is better to use it for mods, with it they will be much more interesting.[;)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Sorry Trinitron.[8)] I have been busy and not much time for BOD. I need a few hours to check out your map properly....

The tables for Experience Reward are in file Stats/CharData.py

You can see that each race has a set value of points according to the Level. You can alter these by re-defining the table in DefFuncs.py:

from CharData import CharExperienceReward CharExperienceReward['Ork']= [ 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 80, 160, 320, 640, 1280, 2560, 5120, 10240, 20480, 40960, 60000, 80000, 100000, 120000, 150000] CharExperienceReward['Dark_Knight']= [ 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600, 51200, 70000, 90000, 100000, 130000, 150000, 170000, 190000, 210000, 240000, 260000, 280000]
You can see you get more Exp points from a Dark Knight Than an Ork.[:p]

You can do the same with the other tables, but you can't alter individual chars, only the whole race. (You can alter The Resistances of individuals)

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi prospero.[8)]

I probably was badly expressed. Now I will tell here. A heavy post for understanding of my awful translit here.

Here the first updating of game from the player -=VX=-[SHADOWS]. It is called Athena 1.1 (last final version of the first part).

//edit

Download this modification (Athena 1.1) here: http://trinitron.gamekuba.ru/athena/athena.exe (3.3 MB)

Download this modification (Deep Athena) here: http://trinitron.gamekuba.ru/athena/deepathena.zip (4 MB)

Please look and estimate this updating. prospero, you can understand and tell in what an error exparions? I understand, that it very much very long, but...............[8)]

It seems to me if to correct only this defect this updating can be used safely with all fashions. As the author has made ENORMOUS efforts.
It was very interesting to it.

<b>IMPORTANT MARK HERE:</b> it used completely the Russian version of game. Did not put on it a patch.
It has put bodloader and Gladiator MOD - all works also a patch any it is not necessary.

Here the full version of game with established by the last mod (to whom it is not a pity trafic if it at you is).
Download and come in game: http://trinitron.gamekuba.ru/blade_full ... athena.exe

Sorry high stuff, please find, OK?[:0]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:41 am

You might have to give me a little time on this one...[8)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:32 am

Hi prospero.

Please no rush. I have laid out it not for this purpose, that it necessarily would correct, only if there will be time. The Error contains or in folder Scripts, or in folder Lib. In game as names of subjects on the earth often are not displayed.

I have thought if to use not all updating, and at least a part it would be possible to improve much BOD.[8D]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 pm

prospero, with a map and sectors have understood - all OK.

Make only scripts. I on soap have sent you all folder with other technics of a writing of ways. Look, there like all it is good.

So about LED I in forces to understand, now,
But, if you there have already added something from yourselves all exactly send that MP a map file and others (scripts), all right?[8)]

Look your email.[;)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:11 am

At me such problem.

Here drawing, that I do in LED, -

And here then I look through LED, -

Here when I treat to a distant wall - this "the oval or a circle" decreases and disappears. What is the problem? what it is impossible to build such long sides and sectors? Or in something else.

It seems to me, that it is necessary to do long spaces which consist of small sectors and sides. I am not right?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Trinitron

I have just been working on your previous map. It's OK, but one thing you should do is to delete the default texture from the texture palette. Replace it with any other except NULL. I find it best to work with just three textures while building. You can set them in Tools/Default Properties panel. When you have finished one part you can do the texture with OpenGL veiwer.

Re. Your new map. There should be no problem with reasonably large sectors, but why do you need them so big?

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:55 am

Hi prospero.

About "Tools/Default Properties panel" I of it did not know many thanks, now it will be easier.

I wished to create such big spaces round a tower what then to look at a hill on which costs towers.

Means, if I wish to make such big space round a hill, for example village small or still that. Means to me it will be necessary to do any heights on such big space, what here such distortions would not be? If I come nearer in half of way to this wall - distortion practically vanishes. Here I also wish to learn is a cursor cannot simply apprehend such big space? If I on walls and on a floor put structure NULL - all OK.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Sorry Trinitron. Not much time this week.[8)]

It is hard to tell the problem from the pictures. But it could be you have two sectors occupying the same space. It's easily done. I do it all the time.[B)]

One thing I would say when LEDing. Don't do too much in one session.Do a few sectors - recompile and run the map to check what you have done. Otherwise it gets confusing.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 pm

Hi prospero.[8)]

I it will consider thanks. Please check your email.[B)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Hi all.[:D]

I had the questions tormenting me. Recollecting a vault of the first level for äâàðâà (Dwarf_m3). Running on a vault (where it is necessary to jump over the bridge, and below a precipice), I have recollected about blackout (simply example on this card to me to result easier). How semigloomy illumination in premises becomes such dark?

I wish to make the same gloomy illumination on the tower ground floor. I through ice gave to separate sectors both atmospheres dark, and illumination (Light). Here only something is not created the same gloomy picture as there, it should be set through scripts, illumination?

In advance thanks.[8)]

btw. Hi prospero.[8D] You yet did not learn the reason of why experience did not come to the character in Deep Athena?

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”