LED Question

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

Thanks for the info :)

I will be adding lights through scripts then. Of course there is a way to add basic light, without model, right?
And what about placing entities inside LED? I couldn't find any tutorials regarding this matter. Does anybody know how to use .dol files?
By the way, I managed to load 4096x4096(!) texture into Blade, just for testing purposes, and it worked fine. I must say old BoD engine still has some potential in it. :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Yeah, an Entity Spot is just a light, no 'physical' object.

o=Bladex.CreateEntity("MillLight1","Entity Spot", -53000, -12000, 232000)
o.Color=255,180,96
o.Intensity=30
o.Precission=0.125
o.CastShadows=0
o.Visible=0
o.Flick=1
o.SizeFactor = 0.2
o.AngVel=0.1
o.GlowTexture="SunFlare"

You can change the attributes dynamically, to make the light brighter/darker, change colour, etc.

EDIT\
Many functions of LED don't work correctly, so I only use it to make maps and apply textures.

For placing objects, there is a tool called EBrowser by Masklin.

I'm still placing objects by hand (through scripts) [:I]

Are you working on a map, or just experimenting?

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

Well, I will make a level someday, that's for sure. But now I'm collecting information, making scripts to ease my work with the editor etc. Let's be honest, LED's not easy to use, it lacks a lot of important things and it seems uncompleted, but still it's powerful level editor and a lot can be done with it :)

Tomy
Hatchling

Post by Tomy »

After some research I've made a couple of usable LED scripts that can help in level creation. I'm still investigating but here is one that can speed up setting up the workspace:

1. While your map is open, go to File -> Properties, and choose 'Auto Start' tab.
2. Type the following in the editing window, use Ctr+Enter to end a line:

LEDx.GridSize (1.0)
LEDx.ActivateGrid()
LEDx.ViewGrid()

LEDx.ShowMapWindow (0, 3)

LEDx.SetZoomMapView (20)
LEDx.CenterMapView (0, 0)

LEDx.UpdateViews ()

3. Accept with Enter.

Now every time you open your map you will get prepared workspace, no more setting up grid size and so on :)

Note: 'Auto Start' script is executed every time you open your map, not LED, so you have to write a new one for a new level. Most of the commands are self explanatory, but don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

Regards, Tomy.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Just to add a few observations....

LED lights are a bit peculiar. For instance, when you place them and set the hight, it is the hight relative to the sector floor, NOT the map origin.

As SR says, you can create LED lights an drag them away. The 'light' will remain in the sector where you created it, but the source point in terms of shadows will go to where you drag the light. Good example is the stained glass in the palace in Nemrut. The lights have been dragged quite a distance away and given a huge intensity (800-1000?)

Entity Spots are more versatile in many ways. They will behave differently in the rendering. But you can actually fine tune them in real time by first placing a Orbe (it has a light but no flames) and moving it with the EBrowser until the shadows are right and no flickery artifacts. Then use the saved script to create an Entity Spot in the same place. Entity spots can be moved dynamically using script.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Does anyone know how to make a half-arch in LED? There are lots of them in Blade maps, but I can't figure out how to make one with a single sector.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Select the edge that you <i>don't</i> want to curve and untick the box "include ceiling". Make the X reading so it is the full width of the sector.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks pro, that's made my day! [:D]

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Hi Pro. I have my typical question. What news about your mods? I made and building my mod now, but in noteboock. Reason - army. I hope release my mod finally in end 2011.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Trinitron.

I have got a map on the go. I keep adding bits to it though to make it more interesting. It's starting to get very complicated, so I don't know when it will be ready. Lots of new characters and I have been trying to make combat between groups more realistic. I even dragged out FugitiveIV again, but I am completely re-scripting it with mew chars.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

pro,
Do you know how to 'flip' textures horizontal/vertical In LED?

I thought it wasn't possible, so I've been making inverted copies of some textures as I need them, but now (thanks to Cuthbert's thread) I've noticed that Barb_M1 has textures that appear to be flipped horizontally, when compared to the .bmp file.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Errrr..... not quite with you. Do you mean like a mirror image?

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Yeah, exactly.

Maybe I'm just losing the plot, I'll go check again and take a screenshot...

Ok, here's a screenshot of the texture in-game, beside the actual texture.bmp:

You can see that it's a mirror image... [?] [B)]

EDIT\
Ok I figured it out, just give the texture a negative zoom factor! [:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Well you learn something new every day. [:)]

I had noticed -zooms in the game maps and wondered at the time why.

Now I know.[8D]

That could come in very useful if you had say, a door texture. Save having two bitmaps to get the hinges on the correct side.

esfumato
Dragon

Post by esfumato »

great.