LED Question

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:29 pm

*UP*

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Trinitron.[8D] Check your mail for something useful.[;)]

I haven't had time to do any testing the last few months so I haven't got and answer for your map.[:(]

Apolgies to anyone else who I have been testing stuff for. [B)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 am

Hi and thanx you prospero.[:)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Hello, at me such questions.[8)] (hi prospero, hi tptpt.[8D])

Whether it is possible to change illumination to sectors, having allocated them in group? What not to change to each sector (steps, walls, tunnels etc.) and to change at once for example to several sectors for identical illumination (a bookmark "Lights").

Too most and about wall structures, whether it is possible to allocate some sectors, or walls, what at them simultaneously to change structures?

(Now such problem has arisen, on half, less map can is constructed, but on it there is no illumination in general, and sectors already about 4500 thousand if each sector to set illumination...[:0])

Go back all mappers and modders for BOD![}:)]

Trinitron.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Trinitron.[:D]

I think I know what you mean. As far as I know there is no means of forming sectors into selection groups. If you want to change the lighting it means doing each sector individually. You can speed the job by isolating parts with the height delimiters, or by dragging a selection fence around a group, but either way it's a long job.

Maybe best to change all the sectors in one go so most of the map looks right and change only the sections that need to be darker/lighter than that. I find for the best results you don't need a dramatic difference in ambient lighting. It's better to assign different atmospheres to the different sections so you can edit the atmosphere for a whole section to tweak the lighting. You can make the outside areas brighter/darker by altering the external light on all the sectors in one go. This won't affect inside areas or areas in shadow.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 am

Greetings.

I used for External Ligths following coords:

Code: Select all

x = 200 y = 180 z = 80
Somewhere read that they the best that 100% illumination will be good. I have put for all blocks with structure NULL such illumination. I compile a map...
BAAMS, I come into game, I look from within towers at here this construction.

Game starts to show almost 0 FPS and when, I come into this building, and I try to look at top (on windows), game hangs.

Shades on a floor in this construction are rejected very well, but it is a lot of sectors and windows. Will not prompt, what co-ordinates is better it is necessary to try? Those coords, which would not cause such big loss FPS.[:o)]
Some variants, and that without illumination are not beautiful.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat May 02, 2009 11:11 am

That's a nice piece of building Trinitron. You will have framerate issues with complex architecture, especially if there are a lot of arches casting shadows. You can check the number of polygons in veiw in LED using OGL veiwer. Press the X key (or is it the C ??) Anyhow if you press these keys you get the polys outlined and a counter showing polys in veiw. 500 is a low figure. As you get over 1000 the game will start to struggle. Over 2000 is too many. You can see in OGL how the engine renders the shadows. It creates extra polys to form the shadows. Arches add a lot of extra work. Too much and the game will freeze.
The direction of External light is critical in complex maps. Unfortunately, what looks best from an aesthetic point of veiw can be too much work for the engine.
It looks as though your map has a nice misty atmossphere. It would run better if you cut out the external light altogether. Set Ext coords to 0,-1,0, effectively putting the sun below the horizon and see if that makes a difference. This will give you more scope for using torches which you can fine-tune the placement of to give a good effect.

The RAS maps are very cunningly designed to optimize framerate. The trick is to not be able to 'see' too many polys at one time. On the 'Dark Tower' map, go to the end of the cliff though the door where the minos come out. You should be able to see the tower itself from there, but you can't [;)]. Have you noticed in the game that there are strategically placed walls to cut off the veiw into the next room? There is also a trick with steps that have sunlight on them. Basically, the less portals the sunlight has to pass through, the faster the game will run. This is probably the hardest thing to do when map building. Remember, if it runs slow when there is just the Player in veiw, it will be much slower when you add enemies and objects later.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 am

Again Greetnings. Sorry for English.[B)]
Again. I had a following problem, to correct it I do not know as. I start the "*.MP" a map file. Preliminary I take "*.MP" a file of any map, for example "tomb.MP" I start it, I delete superfluous sectors for me, I keep it under the same name, "tomb.MP". I start the "*.MP" a map file, I use an option "File/Merge". I choose "tomb.MP", from "tomb.MP" sectors are loaded into mine "*.MP" a map file.
When I try, in those sectors which were are taken from "tomb.MP" to change... Addition/removal/moving, renaming and moving of the sector cause crash Led. In what there can be a reason, whether it is possible to make so, what it would not occur at change of parametres of new sectors?
In advance thanks.[8)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Thu May 21, 2009 9:13 am

UP.UP.UP.UP.UP.......[:D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Ok. Only five weeks late.[:I]

Quick answer is - your guess is as good as mine. But I will try editing the Tomb MP and see if it does the same to me. LED is a bit buggy at the best of times. I have edited other RAS MP files OK, so who knows......

Tomash
Dragon

Postby Tomash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:34 pm

I have a bad thing:( F.e.: I take a sector, select its floor, set a texture and set texture's angle=90. Then I press [ENTER] and the texture get angle=90, it's ok, but when i close the properties-window the texture get angle=89. I try to set 90 many times and every time i close the window the angle turns to 89:( The same situation with XY coords of texture - LED does what it "want" and "ignores" my comands :(((((((((
I re-installed LED but it didn't helped. May be it's the multiply errors in the massive of data of *mp-file. Can i do something to fix it?????

P.S. If i try to use the other angle(30, 50 or each other) - all works good

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:43 pm

That's strange.[B)]

Can you set 270 ?

Tomash
Dragon

Postby Tomash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:24 pm

I didn't try 270 yet, but -90 turns to -89
I can mail you the map tomorrow, if you have time to test it)

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Mini Tutorial posted at other thread. I'm reposting here because this one is sticky.

As the last thing that I need to know is how to create a good atmosphere in the game, I started a minimal map to change the lights and atmospheres to take a look about how it works.

I started a basic level with four collums to start changing the lights coordenates to see how them work. I thought that this will be easy enough but I was surpirsed when I saw How frustrating they are!.

I started a map like this:

So I wanted to see how the shadows moved while I changed the Coordenates, but I can't get these shadows correctly.

I don't know why but the map don't get the same atmosphere everywhere, All the sectors have the same properties.

Where should be the lights placed?

This is one of the options I have tryed.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>
The Exterior light set the <b>Y to about 20.0</b>. This sets the height of the sun, so if it is a minus value the sun is effectively below the horizon so no shadows.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

¿Y? didn't it should be Z?

And another thing. About the coordenates, when you are on LED, you can use the coordenates as they are or I have to change +Y by -Y and set Z by -Z?????? like while doing python scripts?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

Yes it is confusing.[B)]

With external light settings the middle box sets the height. So really they go X,<b>Z</b>,Y - although they are labelled X,Y,Z

The first box [X] moves it east/west and the third [Y] moves it north/south.

LED is the same. Coords in script have to be x1000 and the polarity reversed in the X and Y. (the Y being the middle value - up/down)

e.g
2.0, 4.5, -76.0 in LED = 2000.0, -4500.0, 76000.0 in script.

You get used to it.[:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

But this problem is only for the lights right?

To place objects with Python coordenates are plus 1000 and in this order (X,-Y,-Z) if you looked them with LED.

The Lights Window of LED is bad labelled, so the correct order is <b>X,Z,Y.</b> well
So in my example map the external light should be at <b>x=-40(West)Y=45(height)Z=-40(North)</b>

Well i have done a test. and it works better. So happy now.

<b>Well, it is not only wrong the "Y" and "Z" coordenates. the "X" is also Wrong!</b>

looking at LED coordenates you set "X" or "-X" but actually, the light is going to be at the Oposite! so "-X" is right and "X" is Left.

Another thing is the FLAT LIGHT. It's like the light came from walls, I don't know what is it for.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 am

The exterior (sunlight) is very confusing. I use small values like 2,1,1 or 1,2,1 and this makes big changes to the sun's position.

I find that setting x or y to 0 can cause some sectors to be unlit, so I use 0.1 if I want an east or south sun. Maybe that's your problem?

I use Ambient for interior darkness (one black, one almost black, like 20,20,20 - 0,0,0)

I don't use the flat colour at all.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”