Sound Files

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Sound Files

Post by prospero »

Who knows anything about sound formats?

The reason I ask is that I have previously used Audacity program to open the NeverwinterNights .BMU files and exported from there to .MP3 format. And they have all played (and still do) in BOD. But I recently tried to do some more and what ever I do they will not play. And get this: Even music that I previously exported sucessfully and is still working will not work if I try to save the same tune again. Either in .wav or .mp3. If I open a perfectly working file and save it again <i>without making any changes</i>, that won't play either.

I've tried boosting the gain and using different bitrates an such but I still get an error - "cannot open file" or "cannot get file format".

I know very little about sound files so if anyone can shed any light or sugest a solution..... [8)]

*** The thought occurs that maybe it's some Windows Update that has done this. If so, Thanks a Bunch Mircoshaft. [:(!]

****** Although the said 'bad' files play perfectly well in the windoze player.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

What software are you using to open and save the files?

Have you tried saving them with different software? My version of PSP won't load BoD truecolour bmps, so I have to load them in Fireworks, save, and then PSP will recognise them.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

I have been using Audacity (free). I tried another free one (Wavepad) but this doesn't make any difference. [B)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Very strange, is it just BoD that won't play them?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Just BOD.

http://www.petrbnsfineart.com/images/FunnyFiles.zip

mus_theme_chap1.mp3 I did a while back and it plays in BOD.

mus_theme_chap1X.mp3 I did just now from the same source in the same way without any changes and it don't work.

mus_theme_morag.mp3 Is the one I want to use and that don't work either.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Later.......

Scrub all that. [:I]

I wasn't installing the files right. (Doh! [B)])

Working OK now.[:)]

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

I noticed one thing when using the music from NWN. I put in the game theme music from NWN in format mp3, which weighed more than 2 megabytes.

I went into the game, but my file isn't read.
When I made the envelope mp3 -> wav and went into the game, I could hear the music.

I had such a thing ever if mp3 file exceeds the size of 1-1.5 MB.
This surprised me.

All the music themes (atmos+combos) NWN (nwn1 + all addons + nwn2 + all addons) can be downloaded from torrents. Although, I think you're looking for the music, which isn't on torrents.[8D]

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Hi prospero, I´ve a question about sounds effects in BOD.

In his youtube videos about BOD, listen to really cool echo effects [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSb931bW ... re=related

How can i get those effects? [:p]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Now you come to mention it, there is a nice echo on that clip. Nothing I did. Just the way it came out.[8)]It actually would be a great feature to add to the BOD wishlist. The facility to assign different sound ambience to different sectors.
On my PC, I can change the sound environment by clicking a little icon on the taskbar and selecting "Auditorium" or whatever from a dropdown list. "Sewer" is a good one.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

As a workaround for true ambient sound effects, I've made some new footstep sounds and added them as a 'Material' sound-type, so they can be assigned to textures.

It's not quite the same as dynamic reverb, but it works. [:)]

Here's a sample (you might need to raise the volume to hear the difference)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwgxf13qdJ0

IrateGiant
Dragon

Post by IrateGiant »

Great SR! [:D], I think that with these sounds can make the game more immersive. [8D]

Soon, a new wish fulfilled. [:p]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IrateGiant</i>

Great SR! [:D], I think that with these sounds can make the game more immersive. [8D]

Soon, a new wish fulfilled. [:p]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thanks IG, it actually sounds a lot better in-game than in the video. I also made wavs for the Mino, Skel, Golems, and 'General Enemigos', and new versions of some door sounds, for doors in cellars and caves. My main problem is water, I haven't figured out a way to dynamically change the default water sounds yet.

BoD already has some 'reverb' footstep sounds, but they were only used in 2 cut-scenes in the original game. The reverb is very subtle though, so I made my own versions.

If anyone wants to experiment with new step sounds, you can add them with this code:

Code: Select all

###### uses BoD's reverb step sounds 
def NewSteps():
    s=Bladex.CreateSound('..\\..\\sounds\\paso-piedra-reverb-1.wav', 'PasoEchoStep1')
    s.SendNotify=1
    s.Volume=0.7
    s.MinDistance=5000
    s.MaxDistance=7000
    Bladex.AddStepSound("EchoStep",s)

s=Bladex.CreateSound('..\\..\\sounds\\paso-piedra-reverb-2.wav', 'PasoEchoStep2')
    s.SendNotify=1
    s.Volume=0.7
    s.MinDistance=5000
    s.MaxDistance=7000

s=Bladex.CreateSound('..\\..\\sounds\\paso-piedra-reverb-3.wav', 'PasoEchoStep3')
    s.SendNotify=1
    s.Volume=0.7
    s.MinDistance=5000
    s.MaxDistance=7000

Bladex.AddMaterialStepSound("default","EchoStep","EchoStep")
    Bladex.AddMaterialStepSound("PisadaSigilo","EchoStep","EchoStep")
    Bladex.AddMaterialStepSound("PisadaArmadura","EchoStep","EchoStep")
    Bladex.AddMaterialStepSound("PisadaEnemigos","EchoStep","PiedraEnemigos")

NewSteps()
##################
Then you can assign the 'EchoStep' material to a texture:

Bladex.AddTextureMaterial("Texture_Name","EchoStep")

In the original game, the Minotaur has only one footstep sound for all surfaces (it's actually the Great Demon footstep sound), but there are Mino footstep wavs for all material types in the \Sounds folder, and the Material code is there.

To enable the original Mino sounds, edit this line in Scripts\StepSounds.py (near the end):

Change:
Bladex.AddActionStepSound("Min","default","PisadaGdm")

To:
Bladex.AddActionStepSound("Min","default","PisadaMinotauro")

jennyloves
Hatchling

Post by jennyloves »

you can return this and buy a new one. you can buy a better one, that could be find.

------------------
http://www.tiffany-mine.com