BOD Animations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Vindkald
Hatchling

BOD Animations

Postby Vindkald » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Hail to all i'm new here.

Searching in various threads, i couldn't understand if is it possible to import BOD animations togheter with rigs in 3ds MAX, and if yes with wich tool/script.

Thanks in advance.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:33 am

Hi and Welcome Vindkald [:D]

Sorry to say, there is no known method of doing this. The animation files with the extension .BMV are compiled into hex code from source .max files. There are max plugins (only for V2.5) to do this, but you can't reverse-engineer them.

Vindkald
Hatchling

Postby Vindkald » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:13 pm

So the MAX 2.5 plugins only creates/export .BMV files but do not import them?

I watched this tutorial http://tptpt.bigtruck-canada.ca/TutorNe ... wChar.html where i see models animating.

I do not watched it till the end... the animations i see are imported from NWN and then exported to .BMV?

However it is strange that a file format can be exported but not imported.

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi, all bladers!

I have decrypted some part of format of binary .BOD-files of characters and imported them (only meshes and skeleton groups) into 3DMAX. For example, meshes and skeleton groups of four heroes are shown here:

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/D ... ton96s.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/B ... tonnsm.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/K ... tonk0q.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/A ... tonh9i.jpg

All meshes of characters in 3dMAX:

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/A ... hesztt.jpg

The archive with max-files of all characters is located here:

http://uploading.com/files/2a26dd9b/Ani ... pivots.rar

I think these files are quite suitable for creation new animation and its export to BMV-files.

Also, I have finished decoding the original BMV-files with animation and imported them into 3DMAX. The archive with max-files of Blade animation scenes is located here:

http://uploading.com/files/f8fc9737/AnmMax1.rar

Now the animation of BOD can be edited in 3DMAX.

But these skeleton groups of characters do not have anchors for attaching weapons during the animation. I think this situation can lead to difficulties when animation of fight is making. Therefore now I am decrypting BOD-files in order to obtain these anchors.

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm

wow awesome!

may I ask how do you decrpyt? [:D]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Harrison,
Welcome to Arokh's Lair! [:D]

Thanks for your hard work, it will benefit all modders and maybe even inspire others to start modding. I'm sure Prospero will be making good use of these tools.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Harrison. That's quite an achievement.

HUge <font size="6">Congratulations</font id="size6">.[:D]

Just tried out one of the models. Very interesting.
I know you are still working on them, but is it possible to extract them with the texture mapping coordinates? They could be re-mapped I suppose, but it's a bit beyond my abilities.[:I]

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:10 am

This is one of the best news since a long time in Bodding. Thank you too much!

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi all!
Thank's for your appreciations! I'll try to do still more for Blade.

to prospero

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...is it possible to extract them with the texture mapping coordinates?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I hope very much that it's possible. I located the texture mapping coordinates in the .BOD-files. Now I think about how to import them into 3DMAX.

to Ianna Keeper

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...how do you decrpyt?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's very simple. Make standart object in 3DMAX (for example Box) with known coordinates of vertices and export him into .BOD-file. Open this Box.BOD file in any hex-editor (I use WinHex for this work - it's not advertisement), see the data and think... Also, about the animation. [:D]

CSJM
Hatchling

Postby CSJM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello there, Harrison! I was just going to go over to the russian forums you originate from and ask you there, but I guess I can avoid having to register another forum account after all. :)

Any chance you could share model/animation format data with a fellow russian modder? I primarily work in Lightwave, and having to learn Max is a little... well, inefficient. I thought of using LScript to make an import plugin (much like you did with Max and MAXScript), and I've got, more or less, an idea of how the formats work, but sorting out the details of what values represent what is kind of a pain. (like in the anim data, I can see it specifies number of bones and frames, then goes in turn through each frame and each bone, but I can't understand how to split 16 bytes into a set of six (xyz position, xyz rotation) or nine (+xyz scale) parameters, and the additional set of 24-byte blocks at the end that again iterates through the frames is kind of a mystery to me (keyframe length? Overall model translation/rotation?). I would've used the "make a box" method, but I can't seem to get the export plugins to work. Can you help me with anything?

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:13 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>
It's very simple. Make standart object in 3DMAX (for example Box) with known coordinates of vertices and export him into .BOD-file. Open this Box.BOD file in any hex-editor (I use WinHex for this work - it's not advertisement), see the data and think... Also, about the animation. [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

heey, thanks for the clarification. You may have started a new era in bod community. [^]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Harrison,
You converted the Vamp-on-Wyvern anm to work with the Knight (Kgt_flyonWyv), so does that mean it's possible to convert Barb's 2-handed attacks to work properly with the Knight?

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Hello guys no time no see, you maybe don't remember me but i´m a very old user of this forum a did the (bad) English translation of one of the tuts. Now this is FANTASTIC news that made me return here, i was losing hope of ever seeing BOD being remade in a more modern engine and this is a open door for that, big thanks to Harrison you became my idol :D. Prospero you are one of my idols also ;) and i would love to remape the texture coordinates of the models for you (till Harrison finds a way to export them with the textures) if you export them in .obj or .fbx, i work with luxology Modo now.

Now who in here wants to try to remake BOD in a external engine? BOD engine is a very good engine but unfortunately is very limited in this day and age (no pixel shaders and limited polygons per scene)and don't work very well with the new windows OS.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Argoon. Good to hear from you.[8D]

There have been a few people in the past who have tried to remake BOD with a new engine. Never finished though.

There is still a lot of scope for good mods using what we have. But how many people are working on any?

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Prospero i was one of them, :( , but the amount of work in the animation department was huge and would never be has good as the real BOD animations, but now that we can export the meshs and the original animations that is not a big problem anymore, we can just convert the original animations to the new engine, in a sense transfer BOD combat system to a new engine, at least the dynamic models, the worlds would need to be made from scratch but that is not so bad, because even if you can't play the original SP history on this new Hypothetic BOD we could do the Multiplayer part and fans could make their on Arenas for we to fight in.

The only thing bad of this idea and the make or break one, will be to find coders willing to make that transfer, i'm not a coder so i can't do that, but guys remember with a new modern engine BOD could look better them ever we would be able to extend it further with new gameplay and graphic options.

I have two engines in mind that could make this happen one is NeoAxis that has evolved much from the last time i suggested it and the other is Unreal UDK, i personally would like NeoAxis.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”