BOD Animations

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:32 pm

bah! I was going to make a surprise with this idea. But you spoiled it! [:(] ok I'll wait people to forget that. [:D]

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>ok I'll wait people to forget that. [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I sure hope not. ;)

Prospero can you make me a favor, could you give me the barbarian mesh in .obj format and is texture so i can test it on NeoAxis? I think i can't work now with the animations because Modo 501 has no skeleton support but i do have Blender 2.56 but i'm very green with it.

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi all!

to CSJM

Now I am preparing the message about the description of the .BMV-files format for the forum.ogl.ru. After that I'll translate this message to English (sorry for my English) and place it here.
Summary: The .BMV-file contains the rotation data for the each part of the model in each frame (16 bytes are the components of rotation quaternion) and the position data for the root part of the model (24 bytes are the x,y,z-coordinates). There are not scale-data in these files.

to Sir Random

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...so does that mean it's possible to convert Barb's 2-handed attacks to work properly with the Knight?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think it's possible by the models having the anchors for attaching weapons and by the weapons having the anchors too. However it may require laborious handwork. As you know, if the attack Bar_ or Amz_.BMV files are used with the Kgt model, it can leads to some distortions in the animation scenes.

to Argoon

Sorry, I don't know .obj or .fbx format. I use simple Maxscript commands and functions to regenerate the meshes, skeleton groups and animation scenes in 3DMAX. The study of these formats will take some time and efforts. Therefore It will be faster (as I think) to use Maxscripts for import textures coordinates into 3DMAX.

Thanks for you translation of the 3D-tutorial! It help me very much!

P.S. I'm not the idol, but BLADE is our IDOL!!!

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Harrison no need to study .obj or even .fbx 3DMax can export that directly, after you import the BOD mesh to Max, is just a matter of exporting it to .obj.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:37 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

I think it's possible by the models having the anchors for attaching weapons and by the weapons having the anchors too. However it may require laborious handwork. As you know, if the attack Bar_ or Amz_.BMV files are used with the Kgt model, it can leads to some distortions in the animation scenes.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks Harrison,
I suppose I'll just have to start looking into 3DMax myself, so I can understand the linking of anims to models, etc.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

Now who in here wants to try to remake BOD in a external engine? BOD engine is a very good engine but unfortunately is very limited in this day and age (no pixel shaders and limited polygons per scene)and don't work very well with the new windows OS.
Hi Argoon,

I'm sure most people here would like to play more BoD adventures, whether it's BoD in a new engine, or mods of the original game. I thought about doing a Blade mod for Doom3 years ago, as the Doom engine is naturally dark and atmospheric. Constructing maps would be no problem, and ten times faster than using LED, but the lack of models/animations made the idea impossible at the time.

In case you haven't seen this, Oasis of Nejeb in Doom3 by scythewraith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwsTLbWs ... re=feedlik

I agree with pro that there is still lots of potential for mods with the original engine, but unfortunately it's a very time-consuming process. I've been working hard on a Single Player mod for almost a year now, and I haven't even added any regular enemies yet (I have created some new bosses, though)

As for the limitations,
Limited polygons per scene isn't really a problem if you design your maps 'Blade style' with chunky architecture and controlled views. There is no real need for wide open vistas in a claustrophobic game like BoD. As for BoD's lack of pixel shaders, I don't think that's really an issue either, as BoD (imho) is an 'impressionist' game, where sharp realistic textures don't really belong. RAS spent a lot of time creating the 'mood' for each map with coloured lighting, atmospheres, music, and matching textures. I think it would be difficult to recreate that 'feel' in a modern engine.

Having said all that, if you really want to go ahead with this project, then I'd be happy to help in any way I can. There are plenty of Russian Bodders interested in such a project too, and they have discussed the pros and cons here (in Russian):
http://forum.ogl.ru/read/1049360382/0

I'm sure you could recruit more volunteers there [:)].

Vindkald
Hatchling

Postby Vindkald » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 pm

WOW good stuff Harrison, i'll try your tool.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:30 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>
Hi Argoon,...

In case you haven't seen this, Oasis of Nejeb in Doom3 by scythewraith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwsTLbWs ... re=feedlik

Good work but as you can see in the video the lighting is to dark, the original BOD map looks much better because of the bright light and shadows, the Doom3 engine imo is better suited to horror games or as the DarkMod as shown to thief like games were somewhat dark shadows are better.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>
Limited polygons per scene isn't really a problem if you design your maps 'Blade style' with chunky architecture and controlled views. There is no real need for wide open vistas in a claustrophobic game like BoD. As for BoD's lack of pixel shaders, I don't think that's really an issue either, as BoD (imho) is an 'impressionist' game, where sharp realistic textures don't really belong. RAS spent a lot of time creating the 'mood' for each map with coloured lighting, atmospheres, music, and matching textures. I think it would be difficult to recreate that 'feel' in a modern engine.

The limited polygons per scene is not only because of the maps but also because of the characters, with more power in this area we can use 6000 or more polygons per character or have more enemies per frame.

BOD graphic feel is easy to recreate and even surpass in a modern engine, that is not a problem at all, for example the game Torchlight was made with a modern engine (Ogre) and don't even use any pixel and vertex shaders, if we don't use normal mapping but only diffuse textures them the BOD look will be perfectly achievable, with the added benefit that the lighting for characters will be per pixel and not per vertex like it is in BOD and shadows will be shadow maps not stencil shadows, enabling shadows for alpha mapped geometry, and more important be compatible with modern GPU's and Windows OS's. Believe me this will be the only way for the BOD combat system to survive in the long run.

Having said all that, if you really want to go ahead with this project, then I'd be happy to help in any way I can. There are plenty of Russian Bodders interested in such a project too, and they have discussed the pros and cons here (in Russian):
http://forum.ogl.ru/read/1049360382/0

I'm sure you could recruit more volunteers there [:)].

Ok i will go there and see what they are discussing. :)

Also yes i want to go ahead with this but not alone this will need to be a team effort, i know that will be hard for long time modders of the original engine to like this idea want to participate or even let go of the engine they started to love, but maybe they don't need to let go of it , i don't think we will be able to make the single player part in the new engine (we could but it would take years to finish) but we can at least transfer the multiplayer combat to it with a map or two, them as i said above other people could make more Arenas.

p.s - Can someone give me the Barbarian mesh in .obj and texture please. [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Creating a multiplayer-only mod would be a much simpler project (assuming the NET stuff is taken care of), as there's no need to recreate the enemy classes or AI.

I suppose the starting point would be importing the models and anims into Neo, and see how they look. I presume that's why you want the Barb mesh?

I downloaded the NeoAxis SDK and had a quick look.
The map creation seems a bit weird, all the architecture is made of models sitting on a terraformed base?? I suppose that means you could export a BoD .bw to 3DMax, save it as a model, and then import the model into Neo as the map? That might be interesting.

maybe you should start a new thread, as we're a bit off topic... [:I]

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:57 am

Hi, all bladers!

Skeleton groups of four heroes with attaching anchors are shown here:

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/D ... ors1et.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/B ... orsu1k.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/K ... ors1f7.jpg

http://www.imagelodge.net/imgs/sergey/A ... orsv8y.jpg

The archive of max-files of all characters with attaching anchors is located here:

http://uploading.com/files/d5mcdbmb/Ani ... nchors.rar

Next models have not the anchors:

bat.BOD
Crw.BOD
Gargoyle_Stone_Form.BOD
pio.BOD
rat.bod
seagull.BOD
Shn.BOD
Wyv.BOD

Now I'm importing into 3DMAX the basic set of weapons and shields with attaching anchors too.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks Harrison, i still down't know what to do with those but your work is really important for the future of the Multiplayer BOD idea, so again thank you.

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

Hi, all bladers!

Now I'm importing into 3DMAX the basic set of weapons and shields with attaching anchors too.

Maybe now is posible to improve the colition edges of the weapons that didn't worked fine. Axes of the Dwarf and some weapons of the Amazon.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:19 am

I tried improving the strike edges on the Sharp Axe. It's possible to extract <i>object</i> meshes from the game, albeit without UV mapping for textures. I think the model is in one of the DwarfWars maps. I did try re-texturing it so it looked like the original. Flat things are simpler to skin. It's not bad, but far from perfect as far as texture goes. It does hit better though.

I'm trying to think what other weapons are a bit iffy. The blunt ones are generally no problem.

Char meshes with textures would be great. Once the model is in .max form you have complete control.

Just as a matter of interest, what modifications would people like to see with the RAS models?

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:02 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pro</i>

Just as a matter of interest, what modifications would people like to see with the RAS models?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi pro, I want to ask the same thing that I posted in "NCC" topic:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i> Originally posted by me xD</i>

i remember something that esfumato wrote about create a new armor model to barbarian, with the light armor but in both arms or also i think about implement the blade armor not included in the original game! It's possible with this news tools?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks! [;)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:28 am

Yes IR. That's just the type of thing that would be possible. You could make new parts and 'bolt' them onto the originals.

btw. The unused armour models in the game are not all that exiting. [;)]

IrateGiant
Dragon

Postby IrateGiant » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pro</i>
"The unused armour models in the game are not all that exiting."<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
[:p] Amazing! [8D]

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”