Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>

Before getting started, let me ask something.

Are bod assets are free to use? If not, codemasters will force you to stop when it starts to get serious. So what's the situation on this?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
That's a very good question. I suppose we have no right to use BoD assets for anything other than mods for Blade, but nobody seems to mind NWN assets being used in Blade.

Do you think we should ask permission? or just keep going and hope they don't mind...? [:I]

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>

Before getting started, let me ask something.

Are bod assets are free to use? If not, codemasters will force you to stop when it starts to get serious. So what's the situation on this?
That's a very good question. I suppose we have no right to use BoD assets for anything other than mods for Blade, but nobody seems to mind NWN assets being used in Blade.

Do you think we should ask permission? or just keep going and hope they don't mind...? [:I]

If they claims copyright, we'll have to delete files which will be waste of time & efforts.

I don't have very good English skills, is there any volunteer for asking permission?

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:32 pm

[email protected]

Message should mention it's for non-commercial usage etc.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 am

Hey guys,

Just a couple of questions i'm confused about..

If the models and anims are successfully ported into doom 3, are we just restricted to those models or can we then with the existing animations use newer models from other games...

if the combat system is in python, can we use these tools for conversion?
http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/co ... to-python/

http://www.swig.org

http://koichitamura.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... and-c.html

and lastly, perhaps some doom 3 modders won't mind us using some of their custom maps ( ruiner, dark mod ) for testing..

anyway just thinking out loud here, or typing from my backside..

cheers

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sfb</i>
If the models and anims are successfully ported into doom 3, are we just restricted to those models or can we then with the existing animations use newer models from other games...

Nope, it won't work.[B)]

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:15 am

I say ask permission, but they will certainly say no, now a days lawyers give their say about this stuff and they always play safe, so if they say no will we give up? By the way we already broke the EULA by reverse engineering the .BOD files, this will be a multiplayer only mod not single player so they shouldn't be afraid of losing sales on the BOD game (if it still profits anything), anything it will just make the BOD name gain some height again for them.

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:57 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

I say ask permission, but they will certainly say no, now a days lawyers give their say about this stuff and they always play safe, so if they say no will we give up? By the way we already broke the EULA by reverse engineering the .BOD files, this will be a multiplayer only mod not single player so they shouldn't be afraid of losing sales on the BOD game (if it still profits anything), anything it will just make the BOD name gain some height again for them.

If they say no, it'll be pointless to continue with original assets. Since there isn't any dedicated modeller & animator in here I don't see any option other than giving up.

Even for that you may want to continue on it for fun. However when you got something playable but can't share, then that'll be pain for you. [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Does anyone here have Lightwave?
I'd like a copy of the Deathsword model in .lwo or .ase format.

I tried exporting a .ase from 3DSMax9 but the texture coordinates are missing. I'm not familiar with the UV mapping stuff, so I probably missed something.

EDIT\
Never mind, I gave the sword a skeleton and converted it to md5mesh, works fine. [:)]

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:29 am

Barb with weapons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOdqboNj4lQ

The orientation is still 90 degrees off, but the animations are working better now.

Tomash
Dragon

Postby Tomash » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 am

Great!

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Fantastic job Sir Random!! :D, by the way are you using the Doom3 editor or the DarkMod editor? The darkmod editor is much better imo and works in doom3 and even Quake4.

p.s - Esfumato the Doom3 engine is called idtech 4 not 3. ;)

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

Fantastic job Sir Random!! :D, by the way are you using the Doom3 editor or the DarkMod editor? The darkmod editor is much better imo and works in doom3 and even Quake4.
I used the Doom editor to make the map (just a box). I'm using notepad to create the class and script files.

I haven't looked at DarkMod yet, but I'm interested in how they handled collision detection for weapons (if they bothered).

The Doom 3 melee combat AI is very basic. If a monster gets within a certain distance of the player, it plays an attack animation and the Player gets automatically hurt (unless he rolls a saving throw, like Dungeons and Dragons [:0]). There are no checks to see if contact is actually made between monster and player.

When we get the model orientation correct, I'll experiment with combat (for Multiplayer).

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:25 pm

You can go to the Darkmod forum and ask around they are a friendly bunch, they even let other moders use their assets if asked permission. And their work is very similar to the setting of the BOD world.

About sword hit detection i think the BOD system can be replicated on idtech 4, like on BOD give a physics shape to the sword edge that the engine comprehends (for example a box)and then using the idtech 4 hit detection detect when the sword box (name) shape hits the player or enemies collision shape, if the collision is detected then use that to drive some code that takes health off.

I will also recommend Notpad++ to edit the scrips because it has code highlighting to a bunch of code languages.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 am

Harrison has managed to rotate the Barb model (not as easy as it sounds), so we're one step closer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrK0zZStRRE

The attack anims are quite slow, I need to speed them up.

I have set up the player as two halves, torso and legs (Doom style) but I think maybe it should be just one model. As it is, you can start an attack and then move around (legs) while the torso plays the attack anim. This makes combat easier, but looks bad and doesn't represent BoD combat, where you can't move until your attack ends or is interrupted.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”