Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

I can't release these files publicly, as they contain Blade assets. We would need permission for that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes that could be a problem that's why i'm remaking the swords so if we don't get permission from Codemasters at least it will be one less thing to remake.

We also need someone with good English writing skills to write a letter to Codemasters, it needs to explain why we want to make the mod (BOD is in risk of not working at all in new GPU's and OS's and multiplayer portion is unfinished and not very user friendly), we need to say that this mod his not commercial and multiplayer only, and that people will still need to buy the original game to play the single player campaign and mods, we also need to make them realize that our mod has the potential to make the BOD name gain traction again and so have a positive effect on sells of the original game has also gain a new cult following big enough to worent a new game with the BOD Universe/gameplay.

edit: Nope i see maybe 10 servers but none called BOD test, i also didn't installed punkbuster so maybe is only showing server that don't require it. Also what version is your doom3? I have the latest and final patch for doom3 that you can find on the DarkMod WIKI.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Ok thanks, (no punkbuster is correct). Aare you using v1.31 patch?

The guy who made the 'Oasis of Nejeb' level in Doom 3 asked about the legal issues:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... =1&t=18175

This is one reply:

---------------------------------------------------------
If the company behind the game has gone belly up, chances are good that you're in the clear. The only exception would be if the rights had been sold in which case you'd be infringing.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how you'd determine that sort of thing though so I'd advise you just keep doing what you're doing. You don't really have to sweat getting sued because if such a party exists, they'll contact you via a cease and desist letter first.
---------------------------------------------------------

I asked for advice on using the game assets (in the same topic), but no response yet.

Does anyone know if Codemasters actually bought the 'rights' to Blade assets, or just published the game? I seem to remember that there was a legal dispute with RAS over this, and that the game assets were tied up in a court case in Spain?

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

I'm using the v1.31 patch that you can find on the DarkMod wiki, they say there's another v1.31 patch but is not correct.
About Codemasters, afaik they only have the right to publish the game, like for example Microsoft that only add the right to publish Alan Wake but Remedy is the one that as rights over the IP), the BOD IP thou i really don't know if Codemasters bought it or not, so that's why we need to send a letter asking them.

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Whether 2 years ago I asked Codemasters they're going to let out an source code of game. I was answered with support that at present they didn't consider a question on release of Blade source code.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks Trinitron, that doesn't sound very encouraging... [:(]

Anyway, I've set up another server called "BOD TEST", which is running a stock Doom 3 map.

If anyone can (or can't) see this server, please post here.

EDIT\

On further investigation, I should have opened port:27666 on my router to be able to host multiplayer games [:I]. I'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT2\

I enabled the port forwarding and started a stock Doom server to run around in. Lo and Behold, someone called 'vaginaz' joins the game and kicks the shit out of me!

Well, that's two issues resolved. I can host mp games, and the connection appears ok for people to join.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Made this topic sticky. [8D]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks pro,

I have the BOD TEST server running again. If anyone can see it, please post here.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Thanks pro, indeed. :)

Here http://www.filesonic.com/file/ZN2ttSK is the final model for the dagar (knife). For this model to work on Doom3 you need to rename the material to the path you use on your Doom3 base foulder for example "textures/swords/daga", the model is availeble in .lwo and .fbx so Sir Random can convert to .md5 for doom3.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... _knife.pngImage

Haraldzz
Dragon

Post by Haraldzz »

Dear lord, people, how do you make all this awesomeness!?!

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

With magic!!!!!......................and some work. ;)

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Ok, I started up my BOD TEST server with Blade of Doom and then I went to my friend's house and installed the mod on his PC. We started up Doom, opened multiplayer, and there it was: BOD TEST [:)]. The map name and image were wrong, but I clicked on Join and it loaded up fine. I didn't really expect it to work first time, but it did! [:D].

The player model was 'twitching' sometimes, not sure why, and the weapon collisions weren't registering, but everything else seemed to work ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f7ZB0RUDs4

I've also replicated the BoD combat attacks, so that all the basic attacks (Attack+Left, Attack+Back, etc) and Combos require the same key combinations and timings as BoD. That really makes it feel like Blade. The shield/weapon 'block' is the only thing I haven't looked at, the Barb isn't great at blocking anyway...

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Post by Ianna Keeper »

jaw drops to floor...

Awesomeness!!!

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>

jaw drops to floor...

Awesomeness!!!

Indeed!! [:D]

Sir Random try not to use to much stuff from Doom3 (textures, particles, sounds) if we want to go standalone (not require doom3 to be installed) some day we can't use any art from doom 3.

BTW if you have some complaints about my weapons don't be shy and say, i want to help not hinder you.

What do you guys think if we require to have the original BOD installed to be able to play our mod? It would be another thing to make Codemasters to give the go ahead, and also to make people to play the single player and the fantastic mods made and being made, what do you say?

Trinitron
Dragon

Post by Trinitron »

Just I've come in multiplayer Doom3 and haven't found the server. It's server run now?

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

BTW if you have some complaints about my weapons don't be shy and say, i want to help not hinder you.
I have no complaints about your weapons, but they're not original BoD weapons. I'm trying to recreate the BoD experience as close as I can, so that it looks and feels like playing the original. Adding custom weapons (or custom player skins) would be a mod for the mod.

At this stage I'm just getting stuff to work, one step at a time, until there are no more technical issues to resolve. When I get everything working, I can go back and add in all the details.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trinitron</i>

Just I've come in multiplayer Doom3 and haven't found the server. It's server run now?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I only had the server running for the test, but I will be testing it again over the weekend if you want to look for it. I'll post in here if I'm running it for a long time.

Does anyone want to try reproducing a BoD mp map in Doomedit, or converting some BoD textures to Doom materials?

EDIT\
Did anyone here just try to join the server? (09.35 gmt). I was just testing stuff, and I saw some text flash on the screen. I checked the console, and saw the message "sending challenge" from 2 different IPs (Greece and Russia) within 10 seconds of each other, and the message:
"client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:0 lXS5SA93Qys is authed"
just before I disconnected.

I only had it running for a minute... [:0], scared the shit out of me... [:D]