Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am

Actually I can make Davegh textures suitable with Doom3. First reason is to get rid off copyright issue, second reason is higher resolutions. And then create some MP maps for D3(not carbon copy of BoD MP maps). Does it sound good? [:)]

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 pm

I wish I could help you guys, but I'm just a low-poly modeler, so I highly doubt I can do anything. :(

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm

You kiddin' me? Low poly modellers are extremely welcomed in Doom 3 modding :)
Just post some pictures from your works if you want us to look at it.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

I have no complaints about your weapons, but they're not original BoD weapons. I'm trying to recreate the BoD experience as close as I can, so that it looks and feels like playing the original. Adding custom weapons (or custom player skins) would be a mod for the mod.

At this stage I'm just getting stuff to work, one step at a time, until there are no more technical issues to resolve. When I get everything working, I can go back and add in all the details.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ok i just wanted to minimize the problem of the copyright and also to make some better looking weapons, but in reality at the distance that we are seeing the weapons in the game the original ones still look good, and the new ones lose some of the small detail.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Does anyone want to try reproducing a BoD mp map in Doomedit, or converting some BoD textures to Doom materials?

I can do maps also, i will import my volcano map used on NeoAxis to idtech 4 for now.

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:54 pm

The fact is, for now I've worked only for FOnline: 2238 (which requires as less polygons as possible while still maintaining original Fallout 2 sprites). I'm still a begginer at 3D modeling and my texturing skills are next to non-existant.
Texture not by me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1w4pjffzE&list
Own texture (hence how shitty it looks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AlD2z- ... ideo_title
One of my more non-failed stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIx6bpBl ... ideo_title

Now you understand what I'm talking about :P It all looks so cartoony, shitty and overally bad.
And here is my best work I could possibly ever done, but most likely will never finish it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mff-HV4G ... e=youtu.be

For now, I've just settled with mildly helping other in FOnline: 2238 community as my work is nowhere near good (altough people there seem to accept my models quite fine). For now I can just be a simple man who watches as this great project moves on, even if wanting to help, can't.

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Haraldzz</i>

The fact is, for now I've worked only for FOnline: 2238 (which requires as less polygons as possible while still maintaining original Fallout 2 sprites). I'm still a begginer at 3D modeling and my texturing skills are next to non-existant.
Texture not by me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1w4pjffzE&list
Own texture (hence how shitty it looks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AlD2z- ... ideo_title
One of my more non-failed stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIx6bpBl ... ideo_title

Now you understand what I'm talking about :P It all looks so cartoony, shitty and overally bad.
And here is my best work I could possibly ever done, but most likely will never finish it.

For now, I've just settled with mildly helping other in FOnline: 2238 community as my work is nowhere near good (altough people there seem to accept my models quite fine). For now I can just be a simple man who watches as this great project moves on, even if wanting to help, can't.

Well, they are lower more than I thought. [:D] j/k, I think they are fine since bod is low poly too. They'll be in coherence in this manner. Maybe you can create new weapon/armor etc for bod when needed. So please stick around. [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>

Actually I can make Davegh textures suitable with Doom3. First reason is to get rid off copyright issue, second reason is higher resolutions. And then create some MP maps for D3(not carbon copy of BoD MP maps). Does it sound good? [:)]
Yeah, that sounds great. :D

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

I can do maps also, i will import my volcano map used on NeoAxis to idtech 4 for now.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ok.

How difficult would it be to apply textures to an exported BoD map? Surely it must be easier than building it from scratch?

I was thinking of asking the guy who did 'Oasis of Nejeb' if we could use his map, or if he wanted to join the project and do more maps, but he doesn't seem to be active these days.

I will have a go at an mp map myself, when the coding is done, but a replica BoD map could take me weeks or months, and I'm sure people would like to try it out sooner than that.

I should have an alpha test ready for tomorrow (around this time), if anyone wants to take part. I think I've fixed the collision detection, but now the weapon sounds aren't loading... [B)] still loads to do...

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Sure will stick around, I can't miss the moment one of my favourite games ever getting recreated!

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Haraldzz</i>

Don't underestimate yourself, you are very young and can only get better. Stuff that appears complex now, may eventually seem trivial when you gain experience and confidence.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

How difficult would it be to apply textures to an exported BoD map? Surely it must be easier than building it from scratch?

I don't think that would be very difficult, but is just a matter of trying.

You can send me a max version of a BOD map and i will see about that.

p.s - And Haraldzz they are right don't underestimate your self, in 3D repetition is key, just model something everyday and see video tutorials they are essential. I also realized now that you use Wings3D to model i also started with it, changed to Modo years ago thou, you couldn't have chosen a better 3d tool to start. :)

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm

I have to buy doom 3 to play this mod... The best thing that could happened to balde since... Prospero mods!

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ianna Keeper</i>

...And then create some MP maps for D3(not carbon copy of BoD MP maps). Does it sound good? [:)]
Ianna, don't put <i>too</i> much effort into making a BoD map, there may be some new 'developments' on that front in the weeks ahead... [;)].
If you can make a basic 'bod-style' map, that will be fine. I can send you the mod alpha files so you can check the scale.

If anyone wants to help with alpha testing, post your email here, or email me (Doom 3 required).

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:27 pm

I've a serious question. Seeing that you do, I've suspended working out of a mad (there's no inspiration as.[:I]) Whether there's a possibility, what old map BOD will be probably interpreted on new engine Doom 3? I remember that sgi1981 understood with source codes ".BW" a format almost 5 years............

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:04 pm

...And then create some MP maps for D3(not carbon copy of BoD MP maps). Does it sound good? [:)]
Ianna, don't put <i>too</i> much effort into making a BoD map, there may be some new 'developments' on that front in the weeks ahead... [;)].
If you can make a basic 'bod-style' map, that will be fine. I can send you the mod alpha files so you can check the scale.

If anyone wants to help with alpha testing, post your email here, or email me (Doom 3 required).

I already made one. [:)] It may be small in proportions for a DM map. I'll pm you link when the file is authorized.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Trinitron</i>

I've a serious question. Seeing that you do, I've suspended working out of a mad (there's no inspiration as.[:I]) Whether there's a possibility, what old map BOD will be probably interpreted on new engine Doom 3? I remember that sgi1981 understood with source codes ".BW" a format almost 5 years............
Yes, I'm sure it's possible to convert BoD maps to Doom maps (with textures). They are just databases, so it's a matter of extracting the data from one database, and compiling it in the format of the second database. If sgi1981 has already decoded the .bw format, then it shouldn't be too hard to create a program for converting .bw to .map. The Doom .map files can be read in any text editor.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”