Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:25 pm

About the video the animation movement looks better but there's some strange skipping, has if the animation is jumping some frames or something.

About doom3 scripting i found this comment on doom3world <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have seen that ID uses the key=value mechanism to create some sort of Arrays/lists. There a some script functions that operate on those keys. There are also some functions that allow you to create new key,value pairs during the execution of your script. So it should be possible for you to use these mechanisms to organize you data. (search "doom3_events.script" file for available functions)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

I'm glad you liked my short effort.[:D] It was designed for 2 players.

btw. That black texture is just a placeholder until I find a suitable door texture. Yeah, it supposed to be a door. For some reason it looks like a window in the shot.[B)] Besides, a skybox won't fit since it's supposed to be underground.

@Argoon
Your wip looks promising.[:)] To be honest, I couldn't achieve good results in daylight with doom 3 engine. Good luck on that!

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 am

a demonstration of how important bump map is:

Currently almost all normals in ColiseumGaia is really bad since I used simple tool in short time. Sorry for that.

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:09 pm

What I just realized is - The videos you guys posted never used the 2handed weapon idle animation, making some of the transitions not be as good as they should be. :P

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

About the video the animation movement looks better but there's some strange skipping, has if the animation is jumping some frames or something.

About doom3 scripting i found this comment on doom3world <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have seen that ID uses the key=value mechanism to create some sort of Arrays/lists. There a some script functions that operate on those keys. There are also some functions that allow you to create new key,value pairs during the execution of your script. So it should be possible for you to use these mechanisms to organize you data. (search "doom3_events.script" file for available functions)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The 'skipping' only happens when I record a video with fraps (30fps)

About the Key/Val array, that would work as a one-dimensional array but I still couldn't access it dynamically, because I can't pass any arguments from 'Frame' function calls. I will try executing a seperate thread to handle the player movements, instead of using 'Frame' functions.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Haraldzz</i>

What I just realized is - The videos you guys posted never used the 2handed weapon idle animation, making some of the transitions not be as good as they should be. :P
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, I meant to fix that, kept forgetting...
I'm not too familiar with Barb attacks, so I just used the anims ending with '_2w' (most attacks are _2w). However, I didn't have the rlx<font color="green">_2w</font id="green">, so I used the rlx<font color="red">_2h</font id="red"> anim instead.
Fixed now...

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Hmmm... Decided to make this To-do list for animations (regarding Tukaram):
* Dodge (all sides)
* jump (running jump, jump with no weapon in hand etc.)
* 2 handed axe attacks
* 1 handed weapons
* blocking (both, 1h and 2h)
* Weapon-based combos

I got to say, there's already very much done, You guys are doing a good job here.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:13 pm

_2w two-handed sword
_2h one-handed weapon + sheild
_1h one-handed weapon only
_AXE two-handed axes and clubs
_SP spear

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Argoon,
Have you tried using Doomedit to build maps?
It's very straightforward, you just add rectangular blocks wherever you want and apply textures. I added some detail to my test box, using a mix of Doom textures and Ianna Keeper's BoD textures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZCR6yX30I4

I also added a BoD style main menu for the mod.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Your map looks very good and fantastic job with the menu. [:)]

About my level, yes i know that i can make the walls in the darkEditor just has easely, but want to use a 3d app for the simple reason that i know it better, i can do much more complicated geometry and texturing on it.
For now the map looks very simple because i'm still learning the in's and out's of level design, i did very little work on it because i'm still experimenting with the blender .map Quake 3 exporter (needs to be enabled in the preferences) that can transform your triangle geometry to brush's (the DoomEditor/DarkEditor blocks), so i can do a level entirely in Modo using (blocks), import to blender export to the .map Quake3 format and then convert the Quake 3 .map to the Doom 3 .map with this tool.
http://www.fileplanet.com/209973/200000 ... -Converter

Here is a tutorial.

http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blend ... torial.php

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 am

Hey Guys
Just thought i'd chime in and say that everyone in this thread especially sir random are doing an excellent job. That last video from sir random blew me away, it really looked like a new game.

Anyway i'd like to help but i'm not sure where to start. I own doom 3 but aren't that familiar with editor, so if anyone hear has any suggestions to get me started or simple tasks to undertake let me know.

cheers

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am

This mod will win the award of mod of the year, if this speed of progress continues. [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sfb</i>

Hey Guys
Just thought i'd chime in and say that everyone in this thread especially sir random are doing an excellent job. That last video from sir random blew me away, it really looked like a new game.

Anyway i'd like to help but i'm not sure where to start. I own doom 3 but aren't that familiar with editor, so if anyone hear has any suggestions to get me started or simple tasks to undertake let me know.

cheers<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks sfb,
Once the characters are working, the only thing really needed is maps for them to inhabit.

Doomedit is fairly easy to use, when you get the hang of it. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and at Doom3World to get you started. If you are good with 'Lego', then you'll like doomedit [:)]

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:43 am

My third WIP of the level [:)], this was 50% made on Modo 501 (converted to brush geometry with blender .map exporter) and 50% made on DarkEditor, but from now on i will use the DarkEditor for the walls and simple detail, why, because i found that doing it on the editor is faster, i don't need to waist time converting my geometry with blender, plus i still need to remake all my texturing on the DarkEditor because by converting the poly geometry to brushs they lose the uv coordinates, and more importantly visportals plus AI work only with brush based geometry.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... t00001.pngImage

Ianna Keeper
Dragon

Postby Ianna Keeper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:09 am

@argoon

slow but nice progress.[8D]

If that statue model is this one
then you may need to optimize light sources or it's shadowmesh, since it's high poly.[;)]

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”