Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Sorry if i frustrated you some way that was not my intention, if it seamed like i was demanding something from you i assure you that is far from the truth i was just giving suggestions nothing else. :( About the torch shadow i will see about working on the texture for that then, peace. :)

p.s maybe i need to use more smiles my second post above does sound a little pretentious now that i read it again. [B)]

mikros
Dragon

Postby mikros » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:05 am

The easiest way to deal with torch shadows would be to make the torch only cast the shadows from other lights and not its own. In the case of torches fixed to walls it would probably be easy to put an invisible smaller object or do a custom shadow map for thap place. An empty-hand-filler object would work when held, wouldn't it?

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mikros</i>

The easiest way to deal with torch shadows would be to make the torch only cast the shadows from other lights and not its own. In the case of torches fixed to walls it would probably be easy to put an invisible smaller object or do a custom shadow map for thap place. An empty-hand-filler object would work when held, wouldn't it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hi mikros,
It's not really possible to have 'selective' shadowing, and even if it was, if the other lights were strong enough to cast shadows of the torch model, then the flickering torch light would be washed out.

I have tried adding an invisible torch model below the actual torch, and that looks ok but the shadow movement is very distracting when multiple torches are in view. I have left this in the script as an editor option 'dynamicshadow'.

A shadow map would be a good solution, but Doom3 doesn't support them. I did try using a decal to portray a fixed shadow on the wall, and this works fine in most cases, but materials with specular highlights still appear 'shiny' through the shadow. I have left this in the script as another editor option, 'fixedshadow'.

I also experimented with adding shadows to the lightmap, but my photoshop skills aren't great.

I have also made 'lit' and 'unlit' materials for the BoD WALLTORCH texture (which will be used in the finished torch). I blended some orange light into the 'lit' material, so the parts in silhouette don't appear jet-black. I also added 'ignite' and 'extinguish' animations, so that torches can be 'used'.

The hand torch is a different entity and doesn't really need a moving light because the player is always moving his hand (even when relaxed), so shadows will already appear dynamic.
The problem with hand torches is getting the flame and smoke particles to behave correctly when the torch is moved around. By default, the func_emitter just spits out particles relative to itself, so when the emitter is moved, the particles move with it [:(]. I'm confident I'll find a solution to this though, when I get around to it.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:18 pm

What about the func_smoke, It says that can be attached to joints, theres also the doom3 zombie thats on fire maybe its def file have something about the particles he uses? :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 am

I looked at the func_smoke, but it's not very realistic for a hand-held torch, where the smoke is constantly rising in a vertical column. When you move, the column of smoke should bend as the smoke is left behind, but a func_smoke will create multiple static emitters, each with a vertical column of smoke, so you have a trail of 'smoke columns' instead of a trailing curve. It might look ok with 'puffs' of smoke instead of a rising column, but that doesn't look too good when you're standing still.

The zombie fire effect looks like it should work ok. It's created internally by the idSmokeParticles, I need to investigate that and see if it can be adapted from script.

There are a few things that could be made better/easier with small alterations to the SDK. I didn't want to go that route, but it'll probably make things easier in the long run.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 am

I've tried to replicate BoD water in Doom 3:

http://youtu.be/XyoQG0duc3Y

The video isn't great, but the water motion is quite fluid in reality. I still need to add some shadowing around the edges, and ripples around the player/objects, and the sounds.

Meanwhile,
Harrison has been working hard, and has fixed some issues with the animations.
He has started converting other models and animations. over 1,300 anims converted so far [:0], only a few hundred to go...

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 am

The water looks fantastic, awesome job Sir Random :D... hum add a idea for the water ripples, what about using parallax mapped decals to simulate the disturbance of the water surface? I seamed to have read somewhere on the D3W forum that was possible to use parallax on decals, i need to investigate.

Btw good news about the Harrison work, my complements to him. :)

P.s - shot from the version 0.2 of my temple map. :)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... plewip.jpgImage

This is above the stairs. :)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... r_pool.pngImage

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:46 am

Thanks Argoon,
It took a lot of trial and error to get the water evenly lit, without looking 'radioactive'.

I was thinking of using an animation on a decal for the ripples. The zombie trailing fire is a 7 frame animation, so I thought I'd try something like that. First, I have to get decals actually spawning around the player's legs when he moves in water, then I can experiment with different materials and see what looks best. Maybe just a specular map of the ripple animation would do the trick, I haven't looked at parallax mapping yet.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 am

Sir Random i don't know if this will be helpful to you, but i found a script editor made especially for doom3 it makes level scripting much easier.

You can found it here.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/9091372/ ... ipter_v2_2

Has i'm no coder i don't know how really useful it will be to me but you really should give it a look. :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks Argoon,
I looked at that editor before, but it's not really for me. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like using Notepad for editing all text files, it opens and closes instantly with no fuss, which I like. I do use notepad++ to find specific line numbers when error checking, but I always end up going back to vanilla notepad for writing code. Copy/Paste and Find/Replace are all the tools I need [:)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:41 am

Harrison has sent me the Orc models and animations to test. My first attempt at scripting them as enemies wasn't very successful (floating on their backs), but after fixing an error in the code I tried again and all hell broke loose! I recorded the end:

http://youtu.be/K3lqHOhBJtg

I still have to give them weapons and add armour/footstep sounds and speed up the attacks, but I'm very pleased with the appearance of the walk, jog, and attack animations. The models move realistically, which is essential for BoD.

Harrison has done a great job with these models, and there's more to come... [:)]

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Could this mean possible co-op levels?

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Haraldzz</i>

Could this mean possible co-op levels?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I have done the basic coding for multiplayer, but I haven't even thought about co-op. Everything in this mod is implemented the same way as the original Doom assets, so if there's a working co-op mod for Doom 3, then it should be adaptable for this mod.

When I've added the monster weapons and ambient sounds, I'm going to work on refining the enemy AI to try and reproduce Blade combat behaviour as closely as I can. When I get the Sargon model, I'll be able to work on shield blocking.

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:57 pm

According to this mod - http://www.moddb.com/mods/last-man-standing-coop DooM 3 and co-op is possible (and it works surprisingly well). Me and my brother always wanted some co-op in Blade of Darkness. So far looks good.

The Pilgrim
Hatchling

Postby The Pilgrim » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Great work guys, when do u think that finally we will be able to have a new mod for multiplayer ready?

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”