Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

I love it!

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks guys,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

btw is it possible to give different colors to this "virtual vector" based on combos and were did you came with that idea?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yes, the trails can be any colour, or multicoloured, or even change colours in real time.

The idea for using virtual vectors came out of necessity (the weapons don't have bones/points where I need them).
I wanted to use the same procedure as Blade (the method you posted a link to in Ivan_the_B's thread on Doom3World):

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon (<font color="green">on Doom3World</font id="green">)</i>
It's just a strip of quads rendered with additive blending, and a texture that makes them look like glowing light. There are two points on the sword that generate the quads; one at the very tip and one a little bit behind the tip. As it moves, every so often (maybe every frame or two) the location of those two points is "frozen" in space and saved. You can then draw quads connecting one pair of saved points to the next, giving a trail of where the sword has been in space. You then let them fade out and remove them after a couple of seconds.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't have any sword 'points' to use, so I'm using the axis of the player/enemy's 'R_Hand' joint to calculate where the sword is. Then I create two virtual points (vectors), based on the weapon's length (the length of each weapon is defined in it's def file).
Then I draw quads between the points, using pure colour (no texture) as in Blade.

This was meant as a temporary fix until I had weapon models with 'points', but I don't see any reason to change it now, as it won't look any better with real vectors (and it saves having to redo all the weapons).

I think most of the hard work is done (or known to be do-able), so it's just a matter of filling in the gaps.

I still need a first-person model of the player's arms/hands holding the bow, with an animation of the arrow being drawn back. I have already coded the equipping, firing, and reloading of the bow/arrow in third person, so I just need to implement the FP model.
The Doom3 'Ruiner' mod stays in third-person for firing the bow, and it looks good for a fast-paced game, but BoD combat requires slow first-person aiming (without a crosshair), so I'll need that model.

I also need to implement the shield blocks.

Argoon, I'll release some stuff soon, but I'm constantly updating lots of things, so it's all a bit of a mess atm. I need to do a tidy up, and delete lots of old 'temp' stuff.

Tomash
Dragon

Postby Tomash » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:04 pm

really cool

mingyue1371
Dragon

Postby mingyue1371 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Great stuff![:0][:0][:0]

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Postby Crawdaddy79 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:36 am

Argoon - saw your post at Rage3D, which brought me to this thread.

Incredible work on this mod. I had no idea it was this far along.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:06 am

Awesome work Sir Random....if this was on kickstarter i'd donate.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>
Yes, the trails can be any colour, or multicoloured, or even change colours in real time.

This was meant as a temporary fix until I had weapon models with 'points', but I don't see any reason to change it now, as it won't look any better with real vectors (and it saves having to redo all the weapons).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yes it looks really nice, the BOD where more opaque but i like this ones better are less intrusive imo.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

I still need a first-person model of the player's arms/hands holding the bow, with an animation of the arrow being drawn back. I have already coded the equipping, firing, and reloading of the bow/arrow in third person, so I just need to implement the FP model.

I will see what i can do about it but anyone with animation skills are welcome to come in, i have almost zero knowledge about rigging and bone animation. BTW the Darkmod guys already have FP bow shooting perhaps they could land a hand?

Argoon, I'll release some stuff soon, but I'm constantly updating lots of things, so it's all a bit of a mess atm. I need to do a tidy up, and delete lots of old 'temp' stuff.

Ok no problem. :)

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:24 am

Hi all!

Great work, Sir_Random!

I send to you some .max files with weapons with attached trails bones (from the original .BOD files). About the "bow holding" animation - there are *_b3 (Bar_b3, Kgt_b3, ... etc) animation files of persons standing with bow (only three frames). But you can to play this animation in a loop until any key is pressed.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks Harrison,

I've enabled third-person aiming for the bow (left/right), but I can't make the model aim up or down without the SPINNER bone. Argoon is working on a first-person model, which is the best solution.

I will use the trail weapons for the enemies (.ASE), I've refined the trail code and added a fade-out:

http://youtu.be/2EShbtUxuVc

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Excellent work, Sir_Random! Ok, I'll try to remake the models to a new variant with SPINNER bone.

esfumato
Dragon

Postby esfumato » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 pm

All the videos I have seen in this thread are awesome. But I would like to fix some things that original BOD did wrong.

Lock Targets -- could be replaced by a normal aim with the mouse. You only have to move the mouse around to target the enemie wihtou having to use the lock target.

No Strafe Animation -- Add a new movement system, not like the original one were you only could cicle around. just one where you can strafe. That is a must for the use of bows.

I will stay tunned, I would like to do maps for this, I suppose the ID Engine is easier than the BOD one.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

Excellent work, Sir_Random! Ok, I'll try to remake the models to a new variant with SPINNER bone.
If the first-person model works, then there's no real need to add the SPINNER bone, it sounds like a lot of work.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by esfumato</i>

Lock Targets -- could be replaced by a normal aim with the mouse. You only have to move the mouse around to target the enemie wihtou having to use the lock target.

No Strafe Animation -- Add a new movement system, not like the original one were you only could cicle around. just one where you can strafe. That is a must for the use of bows.
Hi esfumato,
The Lock-On can be auto or manual, like Blade. You can fight 'freehand' if you want.

If you look at older videos (before I added Lock-On), you'll see the player can strafe fine in normal combat. He has the same movement abilities as the Doom main character.

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:20 pm

If the first-person model works, then there's no real need to add the SPINNER bone...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Will the "first-person model" work properly, if I take a bow, take aim, and then move the camera back, rotate it to 90 degrees, and then will rotate it in a vertical plane?

For example, as in the BOD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzK1u9kNhOY

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

If the first-person model works, then there's no real need to add the SPINNER bone...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Will the "first-person model" work properly, if I take a bow, take aim, and then move the camera back, rotate it to 90 degrees, and then will rotate it in a vertical plane?

For example, as in the BOD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzK1u9kNhOY

I honestly don't know until I try. The Doom first-person (weapon) models seem to work without a SPINNER bone, but maybe it's just attached to the third-person model, and moving with it. I thought I could just update the first-person model's position and axis through script, based on the player's viewangles.

With a SPINNER bone, the models should work like the Amazon video. If you can add a SPINNER, that would be great, I just wish I'd noticed this earlier, before you re-made all the models/anims.

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Hello all, hola Sir Random, cuanto tiempo, os sigo viendo desde este foro de vez en cuando. [^]

I´m really proud of you guys, you are makin real the dream of all blade and ex blade players, this way will make you legends, the ones that made a great game more perfect than before.

By this time, I´m working at a online shop, in future for get money and make my another proyect, designs of the suits and armors from games and movies in scale 1:1, I hope in near future make dal gurak helmet, I was now in killzone mask. Keep doing this great work, I´ll be here for any help or something.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”