Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Pilgrim</i>

Great work guys, when do u think that finally we will be able to have a new mod for multiplayer ready?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hi Pilgrim,

That's a tough question. The basic MP code is done, but the actual combat needs to be tested and refined. When I get the final models and anims from Harrison I can finish the combat scripting and then do some mp testing.

The Pilgrim
Hatchling

Postby The Pilgrim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Sweet, I just can not wait. By the way, I want to let you know that if someone wants to develop some project, I have some writing skills. Also, seems that Elveon is no longer in development, perhaps we could work with some of the working team too as well as Blade spanish team and do something great.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:35 pm

bladeghost (from Doom3World) has allowed me to use his Oasis of Nejeb map for testing.

http://youtu.be/sisCMtiQhYE

The map feels a bit small for the BoD characters, but it's an indication of what can be done.

Trinitron
Dragon

Postby Trinitron » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Sir Random.

Excellent work. I noticed some details about which I should ask:

1. When Minotaur's Axe beats Barbarian, model of Barbarian slightly twitches. So it should be in ideal or it's possible to fix this?

2. Relatively detached from character's body parts. I haven't played for a long time in Doom 3, so I don't know... Here you can chop off body parts of enemies when they're dead or when they're close to death?

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks Trinitron,

1. The 'twitching' is caused by a few things. The main problem is that the 'hurt' animation includes a step backwards, but the Doom engine overides the player's Leg animation, so only the upper body performs the animation. Another thing is I included a 'knockback' effect when hit by the Min, which I must remove. There are lots of small errors that need attention, and I see these things as I go, but it takes a lot of time to do each enemy (every footstep, grunt, weapon swing, etc, has to be scripted individually for every animation) and I want to get them all done before I start any SDK work.

2. It's easy enough to script the chopping off of limbs, but it requires that the enemy mesh has a different material for each limb. The Doom approach would be to make the enemy's limb invisible, and spawn a detached limb object in it's place. I don't know how hard it would be to assign different materials to different limbs on a mesh, or if it's even possible.

Still lots to do...

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Looks great! The mod has come a good way! Keep on like this, it really looks promising! :)

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

Thanks Trinitron,

2. It's easy enough to script the chopping off of limbs, but it requires that the enemy mesh has a different material for each limb. The Doom approach would be to make the enemy's limb invisible, and spawn a detached limb object in it's place. I don't know how hard it would be to assign different materials to different limbs on a mesh, or if it's even possible.

Still lots to do...

Afaik you can use the doom skins system to change materials on a single mesh, that's the way id used for the rocket launcher, the rockets are just made invisible when used by the use of different skins.

http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/skins.php

http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Skin_%28decl%29

p.s - Forgot to say yes is totally possible and easy to assign any number of different materials to a single model, there's no hardcoded limit either, the only limit is performance, for example you can make one material for the head and then make a skin file that changes the head material for the textures/common/nodraw one making it invisible and so on for any part of a characters body, with this system is entirely possible to simulate the original BOD wounded system. :)

here i made a fast test sample for you.

http://ul.to/0p8usynw

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi Argoon,
I still can't download from that site.

I have no problem with skins, I'm using them for the arrows and other weapons. What I don't know how to do is convert the max/md5mesh models so that they use different materials for each limb. They also need the 'mutilacion' polygons attached where the limbs are severed.

If you can do the models, that would be great.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:05 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

Hi Argoon,
I still can't download from that site.

I forgot about that sorry. I will send it by mail then.

I have no problem with skins, I'm using them for the arrows and other weapons. What I don't know how to do is convert the max/md5mesh models so that they use different materials for each limb. They also need the 'mutilacion' polygons attached where the limbs are severed.

If you can do the models, that would be great.

About me doing the models i could try but i make no promises, i'm a modo user and it unfortunately has no md5 exporter, i will need to use 3DMax for that and i'm not very familiar with it either.

p.s- It seams my multiple materials made on Modo 601 translate very well to 3DMax so it is certainly possibly for me to work on that.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Argoon</i>

p.s- It seams my multiple materials made on Modo 601 translate very well to 3DMax so it is certainly possibly for me to work on that.
Hi Argoon,
Thanks for the email. Harrison says he will try to do the meshes with a maxscript, which is probably more efficient than doing each mesh by hand.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 am

I've added a Blade-style HUD, which makes it feel even more like BoD. I still need to make the Blade fonts, and add the enemy icons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRjGnNr2Rxo

Tomash
Dragon

Postby Tomash » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 am

Great work SR!

There are some things that still make it looks not like BoD
1. Constant angle of view
2. Absence of "lock on enemy" function
3. Absence of trails of attacks

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomash</i>

Great work SR!

There are some things that still make it looks not like BoD
1. Constant angle of view
2. Absence of "lock on enemy" function
3. Absence of trails of attacks
Yeah, I've just started working on the SDK (the HUD was top of my to-do list), so now I can work on the more complex stuff.

The view angle and 'swing cam' shouldn't be too hard, I have already coded this in Panda3D.

The 'lock on' should be straightforward too, but first I have to implement some methods for detecting world entities at a distance (enemies, levers, locks, wall-torches).

The trails will be more difficult, and I think they'll have to be rendered in real-time (OpenGL) based on the location of weapon vertices (or 'trail' bones) during attack animations.

Also, the Doom particle system is not really suitable for realistic blood spurts and trailing fire/smoke, so I need to look at creating a new particle system to get these effects working properly.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 am

After a week trawling through the SDK, I have the 'Lock-On' working now, with the enemy's icon and life-bar displayed in the HUD.

I also started on the weapon trails, and have them working too [:D]. I just need to add a fade effect and time them properly to match the attack animations (they are on from start to end of attacks, for testing). I'm using a 'virtual vector' instead of a weapon 'bone', which makes things easier (no need to add bones to every weapon).

Weapon trails and Lock-On:
http://youtu.be/Atj4MBEvf_g

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

You sir are a machine i'm seeing a legend on the making fantastic job, btw is it possible to give different colors to this "virtual vector" based on combos and were did you came with that idea? How advanced is the key combo right now? Can i have access to the builds i promise that they will never leave my PC without your consent.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”