Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon May 21, 2012 6:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daxon</i>

¡Sir Random te mereces una estatua macho!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Gracias, pero yo no hablo español (excepto los objetos de Blade [:D])

There's no way we could use assets from painkiller in this project, but some of the Doom monsters might fit in as extra enemies and bosses. Trites, Imp, Pinky, Cherub, Lost soul, Cacodemon, Arch Vile, Hellknight, Vagary, Guardian, and Sabaoth all use melee/magic attacks, so they wouldn't look <i>too</i> out of place in Blade.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MBK_MBK</i>

Jajaja! Sí tío, ¡se merece una estatua y una rotonda y una calle!
Pagaría por ver cambiadas las estatuas del "Minotauro" y de "Lola Flores" de Jerez, (amorfas) por un modelo 3D del Bárbaro y con la cara de SR! Jajaja<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Lol, [:D][:I]

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Tue May 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Oh damn, so its not possible to move the 3d models of painkiller to the doom engine? damn... [B)]

Sorry Random, I thought you speak spanish haha xD

By the way it remember me the game die by the sword, long time ago in 'blade forever' forum I spoke about get the models and some ideas from that game, the blade combat system got some good things, but die by the sword got the free movement attack while walking and the combat movement editor, would be interesting mix the best things of both, but well, thats only crazy thoughts coming from my mind xD.

Mbk me sorprendistes, somos pocos aquí que seguimos viendo esto, te dejo mi correo hollowfreedom@hotmail.com para estar en contacto, yo todavía mantengo contacto con Silver, Pinchi, Raziel, Nekro y alguno más xD

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daxon</i>

Oh damn, so its not possible to move the 3d models of painkiller to the doom engine? damn... [B)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I didn't mean to imply it's not possible, I'm sure Harrison could do this if he wanted to, but the 'Painkiller' franchise is still going strong with the latest addition released earlier this year. If we tried to use those assets in Doom 3, I imagine we'd get a 'cease and desist' order from their legal department.

I respect copyrights, and I believe that the original creators of the Blade assets would welcome the idea of their work being given a new lease of life (in a free format). I wrote some games in the 80's, and I kept the copyright to some of them, but they are on sale today (illegally) on Amazon and other sites.

Here's a review of one of them (from CEOMAG 205 May 2007, in French) for which I still have full copyright, but is being sold with no money coming to me:
http://www.oricgames.com/edito,fr,112,97.html

Remind you of anything? [;)]

I don't really mind, as the game is nearly 30 years old, and is being kept 'alive' by these sites. I just hope the makers of Blade take a similar view to my (not for profit) project.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Tue May 22, 2012 3:46 pm

yeah those are being sold, you are are however making a nonprofit modification for Doom 3.

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Thu May 24, 2012 12:54 pm

As long as it's non-profit the chances are nobody is going to mess with you if you give proper credit.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Random</i>

I respect copyrights, and I believe that the original creators of the Blade assets would welcome the idea of their work being given a new lease of life (in a free format). I wrote some games in the 80's, and I kept the copyright to some of them, but they are on sale today (illegally) on Amazon and other sites.

I don't really mind, as the game is nearly 30 years old, and is being kept 'alive' by these sites. I just hope the makers of Blade take a similar view to my (not for profit) project.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I agree with you, Sir Random. [^]
I wonder what thinks the authors of BOD, if they knew that I took 2 years to learn programming, by practicing Phyton with my "Expert Difficulty mod".
I could not program if I did not like, and I take it as a hobby, not to make money.
There are developers who tell me that I waste my time if no money in it. But i think, the difference is: if you live the programming, or if you live of programming. I enjoy programming, then I'm a freak? [?][8)]
I work and earn money from graphic design, that's enough. I like the programming, and started learning to program with "Sinclair ZX-Spectrum 128K" in the year 1988, in C of the Basic +3, and Machine Code. And I loved making menus, or circles and squares moving across the screen. [:p]
Your game Land of illusion brought me old memories. I admire you, friend. [:)]

Of course that we must respect the copyright. [^] But I think also, for example, in the Linux project, in its open source and its policy of synergy. [^]
What happened to Rebel Act, that for legal and economic issues could not finish completely BOD or BOD 2... was a shame. [:(]

Just my opinion: Projects certainly grow more, if people are willing to unite and work for fun, for the benefit of all. [8D] When money is involved, the project is subject to the business, and cease to be to get quality.
Look at the great disillusionment with Diablo 3. It is aimed at a store where get better equipment with real money, because the evolution of the character is blocked. It sucks, it's a scam to hook people. [V][:(!]
Yes, Diablo 3 it's a great game with great graphics and a good physical... but, that's normal right now, is the standard of quality. The difference is in the commercial and educational purpose of the game. I liked much more Diablo 2, I purchased the original game, many of the older games are better than current games...
I also love BOD and I admire the authors. [:D] So I'm trying to improve the original game for fun, so that the game will survive longer and see how many chances it have for improvement.

Note: sorry for what before SR,[8)] was a joke. [:o)][:D]

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 am

Mbk me sorprendistes, somos pocos aquí que seguimos viendo esto, te dejo mi correo hollowfreedom@hotmail.com para estar en contacto, yo todavía mantengo contacto con Silver, Pinchi, Raziel, Nekro y alguno más xD
Hello Daxon, for over 6 years that I look at this forum. A year ago I decided to participate with the mod that I'm finishing to develop.
Of course I sound like their names, I sound a lot, maybe I already know you. [:)]
<hr noshade size="1">
Hola Daxon, hace 6 años aproximadamente que miro este foro. Hace un año que decidí participar con el mod que estoy terminando de desarrollar.
Por supuesto, me suenan mucho sus nombres, puede que os haya conocido. [:)]
Bueno, si quieres, te agrego a mi dirección, silver_sailist@hotmail.com
Gracias amigo, ¡hasta luego! [;)]

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Wed May 30, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello all [:)]

Thank you Argoon, I hope i can give a hand with anything [8)]

Interesting Mr.Random, it´s could be a problem, I dont know exactly what would be the result of this kind of act, being a non profit use. I hope we got no problem with friendware for the new use for blade, would be nonsense xD.

Mbk! Same as me so hehe.
Mine is "hollowfreedom@hotmail.com"
would be fantastic to regroup those spanish guys, but some of them lost the hope and the help behaviour over this things [B)]

Daxon
Dragon

Postby Daxon » Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Another question:

Anyone know if the 3d models of xbox blade are accesible somewhere? At least they got higher quality work (Just for know, I already like the old ones :P)

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 am

Hi all bladers!

Now we have some progress of the adaptation "SeverLimb" system in DOOM3 engine.

In the first example on Minotaur model by smoothing group marking the complex material was created. After export to .md5mesh file the alphaTest=1.0 parameter was applied to material of the "severed" part (to the Head in this case). This part of the model was hid. Also separate object "Min_Limb1" (head) was created and attached to the model at the place of the hidden part. When Minotaur was killed, this object was unlinked from the model. But this method have a huge defect - the character with hidden part and attached object looks very unnatural.

http://youtu.be/QPELWoUr0-w

In the second example SwapSkin() method that created by Sir_Random with using SDK modification was applied to the Barbarian model. It looks like the setSkin() method that where is in DOOM3 by default but SwapSkin() is applied to the animated characters. When Barbarian was killed the SwapSkin() changed the texture of the "severed" part to "nodraw" texture and this part was invisible. Also separate object "Bar_N_Limb1" (head) was attached to Barbarian model and hid. When Barbarian was killed this object was showed and unlinked from the Barbarian model.

http://youtu.be/n1xnmRXrjkI

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Great stuff Harrison,

For some reason I can't see the first video, maybe a Youtube glitch.

The severing of limbs is a vital part of BoD gameplay, worth waiting for. We can add slow motion and matrix effect later (as menu options).

Harrison
Dragon

Postby Harrison » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Many thanks Sir_Random!
I replaced the hyperlink to the video. Yes, the slow motion and matrix effect is the best solution.

Argoon
Dragon

Postby Argoon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 am

Great stuff guys. :)

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Harrison</i>

Many thanks Sir_Random!
I replaced the hyperlink to the video. Yes, the slow motion and matrix effect is the best solution.
I have implemented the SwapSkin() method for monsters and sent you a new gamex86.dll. I tested it with your Mino model and it works fine. I'll work on a func that returns the 'hit area' and weapon direction so we can sever the correct limb and give it some velocity so it flies through the air.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:58 am

Testing Harrison's new minotaur model with scripted velocity, slow motion, and extra blood! [:D]:

http://youtu.be/wOWBOthz4I0

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”