Problem with light at some points...

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 pm

Think I have cracked the key bindings.

Funs not over yet though........[:p]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

One thing I have noticed and I think it's an OGL issue. Couple of times I have killed enemies with a combo with a fire in view and got a crash. Might have to remove some fires.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I think the OpenGL bug is triggered by a combination of light and particles. Replacing fires with Entity spots seems to fix the problem, and the only real difference is the fire particles.

Did you get a CTD after the spiders, when entering the secret room? I had to remove the fires outside to get past that.

Also, when the Great Demon appears, the EnemyMagicallyAppearing FX causes a CTD for me.

I didn't have any problems with killing enemies, and in 'Window' mode I could play through the whole thing without a crash [:0]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:07 am

No more crashes.....

One thing I think would help things run more smoothly is to mop up any stray enemies that haven't been killed. If left loose after you have passed a section they can go into DelayNoSeen mode and this causes big slowdowns.

Woiwoidata
Whelp

Postby Woiwoidata » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:54 am

Hello : )

Last night i made a smooth play with the dwarf, but alas, a CTD got me in the temple with the skeletons, after you fight the stone golem. I think the CTD's either appear randomly or the thing prospero mentioned has to do something with it.

I too got a CTD after the poison spiders when i hit the wall with the banner, i the next play session ;)

Some not major bugs - when you get a power it does not count up in the F3 menu. I managed to collect around 4 but it still showed 0/6

After fighting the vampire, if you take the route with the rotating disks and go to the far right to fight the two knights a cut-scene with Dal will begin but the knight with the fire arrows will continue to shoot you and you are left defenseless.

Also i think the experience meter get's a little buggy. For example, i tried to run through the first part and get the deadly knightshade and when i hit the checkpoint in front the cave i got from lvl8 to lvl 12 without fighting anyone : ). After that the exp meter gets out of scale...

I'll try to see if it will go out CTD free in windowed mode ; )

edit : no good, i still get CTD's even in windowed mode : )

Woiwoidata
Whelp

Postby Woiwoidata » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Something weird happens...

I get random CTD's on almost any mod i try :( - Ascension, Fugitive 2, Conquest, Northern Fortress etc...

That didn't happen before!

I must have messed something... any ideas?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Could be video card drivers........

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prospero</i>

No more crashes.....

One thing I think would help things run more smoothly is to mop up any stray enemies that haven't been killed. If left loose after you have passed a section they can go into DelayNoSeen mode and this causes big slowdowns.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, I noticed the DelayNoSeen prob, but it only really causes slowdown with the console open (printing the Message over and over). There must be a way to prevent this without actually killing off enemies, maybe resetting some attributes and returning to InitPos?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Woiwoidata</i>

After fighting the vampire, if you take the route with the rotating disks and go to the far right to fight the two knights a cut-scene with Dal will begin but the knight with the fire arrows will continue to shoot you and you are left defenseless.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yeah, I had intended that whichever route you took, the bridge to the other route would collapse, but I ran out of time before I could implement that [:(].

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Woiwoidata</i>

Something weird happens...

I get random CTD's on almost any mod i try :( - Ascension, Fugitive 2, Conquest, Northern Fortress etc...

That didn't happen before!

I must have messed something... any ideas?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
CTD's are usually caused by the OpenGL bug.
If you had messed up some scripts, you would probably get the "Blade has stopped working" Windows error, or the "Player not declared in pj.py" error, or the C++ "Assertion failed" error.

Have you changed the OpenGL or Audio settings in the Startup options?

or, as pro suggested, have you updated video drivers recently?

Woiwoidata
Whelp

Postby Woiwoidata » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:28 pm

I really do not know what may be the cause : )

I switched back to Win XP today and gonna give the mods another go. There are just too many maps and mods that don't work smoothly with the OpenGL raster and the main problem is the light. I'll still test the work you guys do in the OGL, just needed to feel the good ol D3D again ; )

Putted the latest video and sound drivers, latest Direct X update, reinstalled BoD.

Just one thing - when i enter the main menu i can't see the letters. If i press the enter key to select a menu, they flash for a moment and disappear again. I tried to set compatibility and no mapping but no luck... What can i do?

edit: Funny thing is, if i set the raster to windowed mode the menus appear :)

So we can conclude it's a full screen issue only ;)

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Speaking of old mods, I finally got to play Dwarfquest by reducing the dark atmosphere for OpenGL.
If anyone wants to play it, I've uploaded the fixed map file here:
http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods/dwarfquest_gl.zip

You will still need to download the original DwarfQuest and place it in the BODLoader\Maps folder, then replace "dwarfquest.bw" with the OpenGl version. I'm sure CrazyDwarf won't mind me tampering with his mod, as it just makes it playable on modern PCs.

pro, I still haven't played through Wizard's Domain, as there are many different atmospheres and I'm not sure which are <i>meant</i> to be thick. If you want to 'fix' it for OpenGL before getting your source files back, I can email you the hex method so you can get the atmos looking how you intended them to be.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks SR. I gave it a quick look after I got the win7 PC and the outside fog wasn't <i>too</i> bad. Bit thicker than it was meant to be, but playable. The worst part was the freezer which was really thick.
I still haven't got my old PC back from my mate. So I haven't got the MP files. I might ask him if he can fix the slave HD in it so I can at least resd the files off it.

Dwarf Wars needs fixing too.

New Conquest goin OK btw. taken me a while to get a handle on the layout. I'm putting in a few action areas to stop certain enemies going mental. Done a few little tweaks here and there. Nothing drastic.
I've got the new War Axe done. Works better than the original. [:D]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Yeah, I had reduced the yellow fog slightly but when the freezer door opened it was very thick. I figured you wanted a certain atmosphere in there to convey cold, so I decided to wait until you update it yourself.

Good job with the War axe, Raukangren on the Russian forums is looking for a fix for the Dwarf weapons.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:25 am

The Wizard map is just a general practice ground and there is no real storyline to it. You don't have to go in the freezer. I can't remember exactly how it all plays out, but the enemies will respawn indefinitely. If you manage to reach the little temple in the sunlit area and enter, the map will end. But I intended this to be the start of an adventure where you play though all the RAS maps and entering the temple from any given arch will make one of the start maps load (Personalised for the Wiz). That's if you have them installed. [:D] I have, but they have no gameplay scripted. Another job on the to-do list.[:p]

I will fix all the dodgy weapons eventually. The Meat Cleaver could do with looking at. Most are not too bad. I think the Combat Axe is another bad one.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:42 am

Had an idea.[:p]

How about if I make a custom Knightshade weapon? One for each character.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 am

Go for it! [:)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 am

Conquest coming along OK......

I am going through it gradually.

Few weird things happening. The Knightshade scene went a bit weird and the Player walked right off the ledge.[B)]I'll re-write that a bit.

I've disabled the custom saving of waypoints as it won't be needed when you can save the game. Another thing that needs looking at is sometimes you can't respawn after a big fall. Think I know how to fix that....

Getting a regular crash in the spider room when jumping through the tapestry. Might be the lighting, but I'll check that bit.

I might remodel the golem lava pit a bit to give more room to fight him.

The door that closes behind you as you enter the vamp room needs moving back slightly as I got stuck there.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”