tracing OpenGL crash/bug /atioglxx.dll

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

cieply
Dragon

tracing OpenGL crash/bug /atioglxx.dll

Postby cieply » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:55 pm

just have a problem with ati 4850 in Marakamda: at last door (temple door) game crashes (only using openGL)
ive found that it's a known problem (http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=2983) but there are some issues I want to emphasize
I've tried to do something with it but so far got to the point where removing $windows/system32/atioglxx.dll solves crash problem (so I'm sure it's a driver's issue) but game looks, well... what can I say if there is no red channel at all.
this pushed me to find gdebugger (http://www.gremedy.com/) and for one time I thought it's done cause I was able to run it within debugger but after restart it doesn't work anymore :(

so question is how can I trace/debug the exact error so I can aviod it
I've tried ollydbg but still no success
i'm not that good in assembler :((
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: tracing OpenGL crash/bug /atioglxx.dll

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:31 am

I've noticed that OGL is a bit sensitive to certain lights. It doesn't seem to like the bonfires (Hogueras) at all. Doesn't always do it and that's what makes tracing these bugs very difficult. I have had sections in mods where I have had regular crashes and it's usually near a light source - mostly bonfires. Removing the light usually fixes it. But I have had bonfires where I had deliberately tried to provoke a crash by putting mulitple chars near it and having a big fight and it's won't crash. :shock:
With d3d there are certain points where you can depend on a crash - with my setup anyway. All in all OGL is pretty stable and it will handle situations (in mods anyway) that I would have almost bet on a crash. It's just the wrong combination of events.

There is a part in the Nemrut map that crashes more often than not. It's where you go up the big stairway (near the rune) and into the room at the top. That's OK, but go though onto the brigdeway and the game freezes. There is a particle system of blowing snow right there and that might have something to do with it. Now it's a simple matter to diable the torch near the door which I'm 99% certain is the culprit. Problem is, finding which torch it is in the scripts. Easy enough to do with the EBrowser, but you can't get near the thing without a crash.

The Marakamda one that you mention could probably be fixed by removing a light. I'll see if I can find which one...... :?

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

you'r right with these fires
all these crashes happen when you have certain fires in view

with mentioned Sir Random's advice and yours I can see what is happening when i get similar crash in Xshathra (Volcano_M14) just behind last locked door (don't remember name L) and I solved the problem
thanks a lot

although I still think it's a openGL driver's in combination with raster fault because on my old TNT it never happened
if I had choice I would use d3d, honestly - controling there is better (imo), is lighter and doesn't change gamma/brightness settings on it's caprice

but I want make a demo, kind of SDA/demo and on ati d3d simply doesn't work
Last edited by cieply on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:39 pm

btw,
there is certain area in Dal's tower (Tower_M16) after metal golems - the "labyrinth" with flame skeletons thats is totally dark - worse than Abyss even, is there any way to add a light (just a liiittle bit) to this place?
I mean a "sector" light cause I've tried "Entity Spot" (again Sir Random's tip: http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... 23&p=25060) but they are visibly point lights but what I want is just a little bit of "general" light so I can see something more than just big black hole
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I think when I did 'Dal's Revenge' I tweaked the atmos in that area. I remember altering the red mist as that's too thick in OGL.
Or maybe it's in a updated version that I never finished.......... :roll:

Anyway, you can control entity spots in script.

o.Visible=0 # makes the light source invisible.

You can also alter Intensity/Color/ and flicker on/off. Crank up the intensity to about 30 and you will see better.

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

will check it
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

entity (trigger) arrow

Postby cieply » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:48 pm

(don't want to make new topic)

how can I draw a 3D line (similar to laser from Al Farum temple /Desert_M13/)
from spot to spot
doesn't have to be fancy, just to be
like for example
a ligth in spot

Code: Select all

o=Bladex.CreateEntity("i1Light06","Entity Spot", 974.0,-33713.0,25059.0) o.Color=99,99,99 o.Intensity=0
which is lit up

darfuncs.EnterSecEvent(-19900,-32600,25300, lampa1_on) def lampa1_on o=Bladex.GetEntity("i1Light06") o.Intensity=30
and I want to draw a line from (974.0,-33713.0,25059.0) to (-19900,-32600,25300) so I can see where is the trigger point and if need to correct it

perfectly if I also could draw a cube (semi transparent) that is the sector size big, so I can see whole sector as it is
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:48 am

You have to create an "Entity ElectricBolt"

tx,ty,tz = -19900,-32600,25300 x,y,z = 974.0, -33713.0, 25059.0 bolt1=Bladex.CreateEntity("Bolt1", "Entity ElectricBolt",x,y,z) bolt1.Target = tx,ty,tz bolt1.Position = x,y,z bolt1.Damage = 0 # 1 for damage enabled bolt1.Active = 1 # 0 for invisible bolt.MaxAmplitude = 20 # 0 for dead straight - increase to make it wriggly bolt.MinSectorLength = 1000000 # not important bolt1.InnerGlowColor =10,10,10 # r,g,b values bolt1.CoreGlowColor = 20,20,20 # r,g,b values

The only way I can think of to do a semi-transparent sector is to put a misty atmosphere in it. :D

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

apropos sector lights yet - after whole night digging code I think there is no way to make a sector lighter, just use spot lights (which is still spot) or recompile a map which is not an option (there is no source of this map anyway)
in the mentioned area in Tower_M16 it's meant to be so dark and I found a kinda solution to this - use sword of Ianna L)
the same in Chaos_M17
Last edited by cieply on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

importing blade

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm

what is proper way to import blade into python?
i tried to see what actually are some data structures (like for exmaple light have: Intensity (int), Color (int, int, int), Flick (int) and so on...) which in game console looks like <Py_ObjectA2C3F187>
and any try to import blade by:
$ cp Blade.exe Blade.pyd
import Blade
windll(Blade.exe)
CDLL(Blade.exe)

fail and without something like header files to those structures I dont' know what they are and how to use them
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:39 am

You might find things easier with this.....

http://www.petrbnsfineart.com/bladestuff/mods/TOWER.zip

8)

This is a big map and takes a lot of navigating as being a tower it has lots of levels. But you can use the floor/ceiling limiting feature in LED to isolate slices.

Had a quick look and I think the skel maze is around 34 units up. Set limits to 33/35 and you should be able to trace the sectors.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:57 am

Here is a big picture. The sector selected is the start of the maze going up the tower.

http://prospero.powweb.com/images/towermp.jpg

cieply
Dragon

re: bolt; map/tower

Postby cieply » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:44 pm

1. thanks for lightning bolt, that's exactly what I need, and works like I expected

2. will try with the map, but don't expect miracles, I'm not good in it - enough to say I had a problem making a simple room in quark which is IMO easier than LED
Last edited by cieply on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

rOpengl's last chance

Postby cieply » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

i'm actually irritated and p1ss3d with ogl raster for many reasons and most important are:
1. control of the mouse (strange isn't it?) - it's so "quantised", so unpredictible and wouls say unsmooth - don't know what to do with it!
2. too big contrast between light and dark places, so it's very hard to record it in

actually I am trying to use 3dfx wrapper but nGlide I found is sooooo slow with fires that it's impossible to play
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

Re: tower.mp

Postby cieply » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I won't pretend that I know LED, but playing with tower.mp guided me a little bit - I found out why there is so dark in Chaos_M17 and Tower_M16 maps
when I was trying everything in LED menu on selected sectors I came across on atmospheres menu and discovered that they are very simply "packed" in the beginning of .bw map and that in these two there is dense, black fog in some areas and that's a reason it's so dark there
so thank you pro (you really are a pro), I geuess it mostly solves the problem, at least with these areas
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”