BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

piltrafus
Dragon

Re: BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Postby piltrafus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:47 am

khairaoui,
sorry about the late reply. I've been away from the internet for a few weeks.
If you haven't solved your problem yet please tell more about your machine: laptop or desktop, graphic card model, operative system, other mods installed, etc.
Let's see if we can make it work for you.

khairaoui
Whelp

Postby khairaoui » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:33 am

hi piltrafus thanks for ur reply,
my system is like the following : Desktop with core 2 duo 2.8 Ghz , 3Gb of RAM , Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 128Mb.
system type 32 bits

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:35 am

Maybe the problem is with the graphic card. Have you ever used an ENB successfully with any other game? Nvidia Quadro do some things diferently compared to the geforce series.

Also make sure you rename the "video" folder as is mentioned in the instructions. try going to nglide_config.exe and set "screen resolution" to "by app".

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:19 pm

You can forget about trying to run ENB on that video card. Quadro series alone is not made for gaming stuff and from the specs I could find, it's not even of the powerful sort.

themaxmeister
Hatchling

Postby themaxmeister » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 am

Hey there piltrafus, awesome work on the mod, and the enb tweaks! The whole light mechanic, amazingly, manages to elevate one of my favorite games of all time.

However, there's one thing bugging me, and that's the 4:3 aspect ratio. (I'm somewhat saddened to realize this actually does bother me, especially when I remember being fine with it back then... oh the times...) Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw you mention in some thread on here, that you had the game running in widescreen (no stretching, naturally). Would you mind sharing your technique? It would really make the whole thing sing for me.

In any case, I really appreciate all the work you've done for this game, and that you've decided to share it with all of us. I don't know if you're still working on BoD, but I am looking forward to whatever it is you do next. Thanks!

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

themaxmeister,
thank you very much for your feedback. I'm really glad you are enjoying the game with the mod.

You are right about the widescreen hack. I did mention it and as a matter of fact that's the main feature of the next version of the mod. I'm working on it but it's going slow. I have it working but sadly is a bit of a hack and requires to render the game at a higher resolution than the screen (2560x1440px) and then crop the desired useable area (1920x1080px) to show it fullscreen. The problem now is that the cropping is done after ENB had to process the full 2560x1440px image. A very powerful card is necessary to run the game with ENB at 2560x1440px at 30pfs, and then you only would be using a portion of the resulting image. Is not very efficient and most people, including myself, wouldn't be able to play smoothly like this anyway.

The proper solution is to crop the image before it goes into ENB, so the expensive GPU effects are only calculated over the smaller final image. Way more efficient so almost all mid-range GPU's can run it widescreen.

I solved everything else I need, like custom FOV for the camera and a repositioned HUD so it fits a widescreen ratio. In my opinion the game looks spectacular in a 2.39 cinemascope ratio. I'll post some images if I have time later.

The plans for now are to try to find a way to do Widescreen properly and release a new BladeOfLight Widescreen version in a neat package so it's easy to install and setup. If I can't solve it properly in the near future I'll release a set of files for those who want to try it anyway. Patience my friend :)

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 pm

WIDESCREEN PROCESS VISUALLY EXPLAINED
Original Render

Cropped area from original render

Display cropped area fullscreen

Apply custom camera FOV

The final image is similar to the original 4:3 ratio with extended view on the sides for widescreen display

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:12 am

Some Widescreen examples. the image ratio is not 16:9 but 2.39 cinemascope.
This game looks very good in that format. Hopefully I can make it work efficiently.

themaxmeister
Hatchling

Postby themaxmeister » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:32 am

Oh wow ok, I see what you're doing! That's a really good workaround. Hopefully you'll manage to fix the rendering order. In any case, I'm super stoked to hear that you are working on it! Both widescreen ratios look great, the former seems suited for pure gameplay, and the later for a more cinematic experience.

I don't mind waiting one bit, it's not like the game is new anyway (although sometimes it feels like it playing your mod). I'm happy to hear you'll release the incomplete files if you can't make it work, because I'd still like to try it out, regardless of low fps.

Oh, by the way, have you tried reaching out to Boris? Last I heard, he was busy with important family stuff, but he might be able to help out at some point, perhaps specifically with the rendering order. If the order can't be altered, he should be able to render the shaders at a lower res, basically achieving the same goal. e.g. AO at 3/4 res running at 1440p should be fairly equivalent to 1080p at full res in terms of performance, but I don't know if all the effects can be scaled down independently like his AO can.

Alright, now I realize I'm running on forever about stuff you probably already know, but have you also tried rendering the game at 1080P, then upscaling it to 1440p? It might look a bit lower res after the cropping process, but with AA, it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyway hahaha good luck!

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:08 am

Hey fellow BODers

Did anyone try to run this mod on Linux using Wine? I am thinking of switching to Linux and wonder if my favorite game would work with this awesome mod. WineHQ states the game itself works, but I wonder if 3dfx nGlide wrapper and all that ENB "Voodoo" magic works in Wine. Can't really test it right now cause my gaming desktop is overseas right now :D

blsevenc31
Hatchling

Postby blsevenc31 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi. I've searched the web and read some threads on this mod, but haven't found my problem. After installing the game and the mod I got a picture of some ancient spot and that's all... No menu, no reaction to кeys or mouse. Killed the process. Tried several times. Reinstalled the game, the mod, installed the gorentity mod. Did not added two lines in the menu.py and it runs smoothly. Enjoyed the amazing new game, really charming, but my weapon won't cast any light. The F1 and 1 keys manipulation did nothing, which is natural without those lines. Added the lines in the menu.py - got same beautiful yard and nothing more. The problem must be obvious, but I couldn't fix it. Could you help me, please. Surely I can play without any light from my blade, but the mod has it as one of the most attractive and usable features, so I hope to play it properly. Thank you.
P.S. I was playing from a loaded game, haven't started new one.

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:38 am

from your explanation it seems to me this is an obvious case of a typo in the menu.py file. make sure you copy/paste the lines from the instructions text file to menu.py without any modifications.

blsevenc31
Hatchling

Postby blsevenc31 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:06 pm

Of course. I just been adding them separately. It's ok now. Thanks again for your work.

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:31 am

I can confirm the mod doesn't work on Windoze 8.1 Core (N) x64
Game itself runs fine with nGlide and with all the settings in the instructions. There is no NT compatibility mode though.

As soon as I installed the mod, BOD crashes after the intro.
When I had Win 7 Ultimate x64 BladeOfLight_ENB Mod worked flawlessly on the same PC.

Seems like there's some issue with directX9

Code: Select all

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: Blade.exe Application Version: 1.0.0.1 Application Timestamp: 3acde141 Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1 Fault Module Timestamp: 52d93459 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000151e3 OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.98 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 4016 Additional Information 2: 401629131ca4b51a19620ea02f4aa296 Additional Information 3: 4656 Additional Information 4: 4656a2f9fa83b611c2fd755333501be9
Sad sad face :(
I've had nothing but issues with Win 8.1 for the past few days since I installed it. I hate the GUI, my phone no longer connects or charges with USB, lots of compatibility problems. It's Win VISTA all over again!!!
The only reason I'm keeping it for now is because Arma 3 runs slightly better on it

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 am

"Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll"

That library refers probably to the ENB itself. That's what is crashing. I have no way to test any of this.
thanks for sharing the info anyway. It's always good to know how it works on different systems.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”