BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

sfb
Dragon

Re: BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Postby sfb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Ok I understand that now. Is this also the reason why Glide doesn't like larger textures? In D3d the hd textures are fine but in Glide it either crashes or displays them as grey.

It's annoying because i wanted to use these textures... http://blade-of-darkness.bigtruck-canad ... ht_res.htm

Anyway hopefully someone on here answers your technical question soon. I'm assuming it will be either Prospero or Sir Random, maybe pm them if you don't hear anything.

cheers mate
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:58 am

You are right SFB, I guess that's why HD texture mods don't work with the voodoo1-2 (glide) renderer. Mipmaping creates smaller versions of the textures to apply them to distant objects and acute angles. Those smaller maps help save memory and reduce flicker. Without mipmaping the full texture has to be loaded for every object, even if it's only a pixel big on the screen. I guess the HD textures without mipmaps make the renderer run out of memory pretty quick.

On the other hand I solved my issue. Now the mod can be started from the F1 menu. Every time a game is started/loaded we have to open the F1 menu, hit the "1" key and hit F1 again to close the menu. That registers the mod keybindings. After that we can press the "1" key in game to trigger the weapon light on or off.

[rimg width={NUMBER1} height={NUMBER2}]{URL}[/rimg]

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for the explanation, it's clearly evident you know a lot more about this than i do. Judging from your pics the textures look quite good anyway, so perhaps it's not such a big deal after all. Just a shame those great textures are sitting there unable to be used.

Glad to see you got your issue sorted and the new pics look fantastic. I'm really looking forward to this.

Also i've got a pretty good gfx card ( gtx780)...would this handle the mod with blood enabled or is performance just to bad all round to consider it.

Anyway thanks again for all your hard work mate....i'll stop bugging you now..hehe

cheers mate
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Sfb, I saw those textures online. They are a work of art in themselves. It's a pity that the BOD glide renderer is crippled in that aspect.
However it doesn't mean that a solution won't appear eventually, so if you feel inclined to take those HD textures and bring them to the game via MOD, please don't feel discouraged. If you have the knowledge and time please go ahead and do it.
A mod with HD textures sitting around ready to use will serve as a great motivation for somebody to try to fix the mipmapping issue.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am

I'm getting a bit old and lazy, so i'd only really do it if it worked with your enb. I considered doing a few more levels a while back but lost interest. Basically your enb will be what I use from now on...no pressure hehe..

Also I noticed that this wrapper http://zeckensack.de/glide/ has an option for mipmapping, perhaps it's possible after all.

I might jump on the Zeus forums and ask, can't hurt...

cheers mate
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Would it be easy to do a test level at 512x512? See if the engine can hold it? Maybe 1K is a bit too ambitious.

Edit. I'm obviously talking about an straight replacement of the original textures for an exact high res replica. I have no idea if that is more or less an automatic process or it needs manual tweaking for every object. But probably you are right. Is not worth the effort unless is a quick thing to test.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:01 am

Yeah i was thinking of resizing a few just to see if they work. I'll give it a test over the weekend, should be pretty easy.

I posted on the Zeus forums about it, haven't heard an official response yet but a few other people have been asking about mipmapping so hopefully we'll hear something soon.

It's just annoying because i wanted to use the skybox i made for my other mod with your new enb...and i really wanted to reskin some characters even though they're really hard to do.

Anyway keep up the good work..

cheers mate
sfb

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:44 am

Ok i've played around with a few different texture sizes and come to the conclusion that anything over 256x256 doesn't work. I was hoping at least 512x512 would work but sadly it does not.

However i've managed to find a few "hd" minecraft 256x256 texture packs that look pretty good. I know who would have thought minecraft of all games would come to the rescue. Anyway some of the textures look really good so i might consider implementing them in a few levels. At the very least i should be able to make some objects look better.

I don't want to spend too much time on it though, especially if the mipmapping issue is resolved. I'd much rather be using high quality textures from the beginning if i decide to have real crack at it.

Anyway i got the skybox working and it looks really good.

cheers
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:26 am

Sfb, I wouldn't put any more efforts to it. The textures in BOD are great. They don't need replacement. The only thing they could need is more resolution. But if you say it doesn't work beyond 256x256 then there's nothing to do to them.

That limitation has just cast a doubt about the compatibility of the "3dfx voodoo 1-2" raster and nglide with the most popular mods out there. If bigger textures crash the game, what happens with bigger maps? Do the Fugitive series work with that renderer? I really hope so.

Has anyone tried?

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:37 am

Blade of Light v1.0 is out.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/blade-of-light

I hope you guys have a look and I'll love to hear feedback about it. Colors, lighting, playability, bugs, ideas, etc.
I have a couple of ideas for future versions. I'll see if there's interest in this one first.

release video
http://youtu.be/NLf0dQgWp4E

Enjoy

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

Congratulations Piltrafus! :D
Looks really really great !! :D

I love it! :mrgreen:
Gooooood work! 8)
Loose your ghosts, because they chain suspiciously your freedom.
My Youtube channel, tests with Hyperborean Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MBEASTKING1980
Web site of Hyperborean mod:
https://sites.google.com/view/bodhyperboreanmodbymbk

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 am

Guess it's time to buy a new computer just to play Blade of Darkness with graphical mods. :lol:

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Wow what a nice surprise to come home after a few beers to see this mod up and ready to go. Congrats and thanks for all your hard work.

Ok i've been testing/playing for the last few hours and these are some of my initial observations...

1.It's awesome...but you probably knew that already
2.I noticed that in the enblocal.ini has ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false.....i set it to true
3.Sometimes the light will not stay on the weapon

Ok apart from those minor issues my major questions revolve around dof, bloom and colour correction.

I've tried lot's of different settings for dof, including some of my own custom skyrim ones, yet i'm unable to tone it down. Unfortunately the current dof settings are giving me a headache so i'd really appreciate some help with this.

As for the colour correction, i noticed it's set to false. Is there a reason for this as I've enabled it with some decent results.

I've also lowered the bloom as it's quite blinding in some levels. Below are the settings i've changed...

[COLORCORRECTION]
UsePaletteTexture=false
UseProceduralCorrection=false
Brightness=3.0
GammaCurve=2.00

[BLOOM]
Quality=0
AmountDay=1.5
AmountNight=1.0
BlueShiftAmountDay=1.0
BlueShiftAmountNight=1.0

[LENS]
LenzReflectionIntensityDay=0.3
LenzReflectionPowerDay=0.85
LenzDirtIntensityDay=0.3
LenzDirtPowerDay=0.85
LenzReflectionIntensityNight=0.5
LenzReflectionPowerNight=1.0
LenzDirtIntensityNight=0.5
LenzDirtPowerNight=1.

Anyway all in all it's a much welcomed graphics update for Blade. As for the textures, i'll probably play around with the skyboxes and some objects while i'm excited about it.

cheers and thanks again mate
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 pm

MBK,
Thanks. I hope you have fun with it.

HAraldzz,
You won't find a better excuse to buy a new computer :)

By the way, I'm curious to know if it works or is too slow for any of you. So if you guys use it please post here the graphics card model and general performance impressions. So other people will have a reference of what to expect.

Myself I'm using a laptop with an nvidia 460M. Playing at 1280x720. 20 to 50 fps. Some areas drop to 15fps briefly.

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Sfb,
I forgot to add this to the Readme.txt: DOF is not compatible with beers :)

Thanks, for the feedback.

The DOF in games is a problem hard to crack. Some people like it, some don't. The problem is that its function in film, aside of its aesthetic values, is to guide the audience focus to an specific area of the screen. In games you have your mouse to guide your camera/focus around the world and sometimes the DOF effect is not focusing where you are actually looking so it causes eye strain.

Here's how DOF is designed to work:
- I've teaked it mostly for the knight but it should work similarly for the others
- Use the Camera positions to control the DOF. The closer the camera is to First person view the more the focus will be in the environment. The farthest from the character the focus switches to the character himself.
- Use the mouse wheel to switch camera positions quickly to control the DOF.
- I use the far position to explore, and the second farthest to fight. I get a bit closer to the character to get "perfect focus" on the environtment in special ocasions or to fight in narrow spots.
- You can switch it off completely in the enbseries.ini

"1.It's awesome...but you probably knew that already"
Thanks. Always good to hear. Almost all the glory goes to Boris at http://www.enbdev.com for providing the tools.

2.I noticed that in the enblocal.ini has ForceAnisotropicFiltering=false.....i set it to true
Back to the mipmap issue. Doesn't the distant textures disappear with that on? Don't you get dark/black triangles in some geometry? Let me know if it works just fine for you.

3.Sometimes the light will not stay on the weapon.
Do you mean you can't turn it on? or it just disappears? Can you explain a bit more? Try to restart the level/load the savegame, see if it works. Remember that you have to activate the mod with "F1, 2, F1" every time you start/load a game.

Now about the rest.
You seem to be more of a tinkerer than the usual player. Just like me. If your aim is to tweak the ENB settings to your own taste I'll recommend you to download the BOD ENB from http://www.enbdev.com. And start form there.
I removed and changed many parts of the original ENB files to achieve a specific goal. Didn't want color correction as this mod is about enhancing the original, not changing it. So that part of the code is crippled/removed to optimize performance. And bloom and highlights won't behave like the default so they will be counter intuitive to tweak.

What I'm providing with the MOD is a specific playing experience based on tested modifications. The bloom is high to blind you when you walk/look from a dark dungeon to the bright exterior. To create a nice animated flare every time you turn your weapon light on. To make fighting over a blinding white patch of snow a bit uncomfortable to your eyes. If that makes you drag your foe to a shaded area to fight better, then the environment lighting affected your strategy. Good. That's intentional. On a screenshot it would look better with less bloom and lower brightness, but is more fun to play with an environment that influences your strategy. Those are my choices of course. And that's what this mod is. Providing a solid and entertaining new playthrough of the game based on this specific choices.

I'm saying this because I don't want to talk about tweaking the ENB per se. Is a bottomless pit of tastes and possibilities :)
Feel free to use anything I've published to create your own version. However I would prefer that discussions related to ENB tweaking or creating alternate versions would go into alternate conversations. Probably better suited to the ENB forums themselves as you'll find more knowledgeable people there.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”