BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Haraldzz
Dragon

Re: BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Postby Haraldzz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:52 pm

My system
GeForce 8400GS
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
3GB RAM
Windows XP

My previous experience with ENB has not been great, is all I can say. Infact, I have problems running BoD in some cases above 30fps due to the archaic engine and its faults on some renderers. I remember having more frames per second using my old computer, as odd as it may sound. Still, I'll download it and see what works and what happens. My computer is really old, but so are the games I play. :P

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:55 am

HAraldzz,
that's an old card. I don't think she's going to like what your throwing at her :) Let us know how it goes.

Sfb,
if you are still using my files you can lower the DOF by editing this on enbeffectprepass.fx

change
#define DEPTH_OF_FIELD_QULITY 1
to
#define DEPTH_OF_FIELD_QULITY 0

You'll get less defocus and it will be faster. Double gain :)

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:49 am

My system is of the year 2005:
Ati Radeon X550 128MB
Intel Pentium 4 3.4GHz
3GB RAM DDR2
Windows XP Prof SP3 32bits.

Unfortunately something did not work in my system. I've been trying different options, but the game crashes at the start and the screen goes blank. :( :(

I think Nglide works perfectly on my computer. The game goes faster with other graphics options and the performance is superior even at maximum details. :)

I think that I do not understand well how to configure the mod... Any ideas please? :?:

Greetings and Thanks. :mrgreen:
Loose your ghosts, because they keep suspiciously your freedom.

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 am

MBK,
I googled for your card and it seems it only supports shader model 2.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R300
the mod needs shader model 3.0. Sorry.

I'm glad that at least you got nglide working.
The mod install is easy as you only have to drag the folders in the zip to the game folder.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 am

MBK,
I googled for your card and it seems it only supports shader model 2.0
the mod needs shader model 3.0. Sorry.
Oh, I did not know that about pixel shader. Well, I'll test it in a better computer. :)
Thank you very much Piltrafus :D

Congratulations again, for your great work! :D
Greetings Sfb. :mrgreen:

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:55 am

piltrafus, hehe yeah i had my dof goggles on...

Ok i'll start off with performance.

On a 780gtx, i7 @4.3 and ssd i'm getting solid 60 fps with ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true and blood enabled. Occasionally i'll drop to 40s with the weapon light enabled in crowded situations. It can drop lower than that at times especially when running or looking toward certain light sources, however i suspect that's an old blade d3d bug as it rarely happens in opengl.

As for the ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true setting, i feel with dof enabled it's hard to see those glitches you mentioned so the trade of is worth it in my opinion. Also regarding the dof, i really like those alternative settings so i'll probably use them from now on.

I can't reproduce that weapon light bug, it just happens randomly but not very often. When it does happen it just flashes and thats it. I could hold down the 1 key or keep pressing it but i fear that would be like playing severely intoxicated ...anyway it's not a big deal.

I like your approach at handling fov via the mouse wheel, kinda similar to skyrim. I'll have to try it out..

Regarding the aesthetic tone of this mod, i completely understand you motivation behind it. It creates new gameplay opportunities and enhances the best parts of the games visuals. I just think some levels bloom settings are a bit overblown but i think you mentioned that yourself.

Anyway you're right, i am a tinkerer so that leads me to my next questions...

I can't for the life of me get the gui working in game. I hit shift and enter as usual but the mouse still only controls the player whilst the pointer keeps refreshing itself. So i can't actually click on anything or edit values and so fourth. Hopefully i'm missing something simple as i want to try a few things form my skyrim enb.

You mentioned colour correction is disabled but it still seems to work when i enable it.

Anyway i agree that this thread shouldn't turn into a enb troubleshooting forum so i'll leave it at that.

Once again thanks for all your hard work, it's appreciated.

@MBK... hopefully you can get your hands on a cheap 760gtx ..it will be worth it mate.

cheers guys
sfb

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 pm

My system:
GeForce 8400GS 512MB VRAM
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
3GB RAM
Windows XP
Alright, I can make a report of my ENB experience with Blade of Darkness. Good news: The frame rate is stable. The bad news: I can count the rendered frames per second just by looking at it - all four of them. Indeed, the game is running at a constant 4 fps with the graphical mod. Tried tweaking it around and achieved a bit more acceptable 20 fps but at that point most of the magic was lost and would enjoy more playing at 60+ frames instead of color corrected BoD at 20. Time to get a new processor and a new graphics card. :lol:

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:09 am

HAraldzz,
thanks for the hilarious report. I'm sure is hard to kill those damn orcs at 4 fps :)

Sfb,
your card seems more than able to run everything you throw at her. Do you mind telling me the resolution too?
The ingame enb menu doesn't work. Blade doesn't have native mouse support I think.

Thank you both for the feedback. With the information I have I think the mod should work with any desktop nvidia card model x60 or higher. no matter the generation.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 am

HAraldzz,
maybe you had the matrix cheat enabled...hehe

piltrafus,

That's too bad about the gui, looks like i'll just have to do it the hard way then. I've managed to implement a new dof/bokeh effect from one of my skyrim presets. It has more of that bokeh effect which i liked in skyrim...anyway i'll play around with it some more.

I'm running at 1920x1080 on a 24inch. It's a pretty standard set up these days, but it's funny to see a 12 year old game struggle on some of this new hardware.

Anyway i was wondering if you could show me where the code is that handles better edge detection for textures. I wouldn't mind bumping it up seeing as my card should be able to handle it. The only reason i ask, is that i'm going to retexture some objects, however with a few more smoking mirrors i might not have to.

Ok i'm having a lot of fun with this ...thanks again mate

cheers
sfb

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 am

Hey piltrafus,

Just thought you might appreciate this link...

http://www.destructoid.com/blade-of-dar ... 9387.phtml

In other news, i've tweaked your enb settings to fit my new skyboxes....hopefully i'll get a few pics up soon.

cheers mate
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 am

Yeah, the mod made the rounds into some gaming sites. It got a few downloads.
I hope some people discovered the game thanks to that.

Thanks all for the help putting this together.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah, the mod made the rounds into some gaming sites. It got a few downloads.
I hope some people discovered the game thanks to that.

Thanks all for the help putting this together.
Congratulations piltrafus :D

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Hey piltrafus,

I tried sending you a pm but for some reason it didn't work...

Anyway i'm seeking your permission to upload my new enb mod on moddb.

It's basically an altered version of your enb mod with my custom skyboxes. I've also changed a few weapon light settings for better performance.

Obviously i'll credit yourself and boris as well.

Hopefully this sounds ok.

cheers mate,
sfb

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Sfb,
I haven't discontinued this mod and I'm about to release an updated version with some bug fixes and tweaks based on user feedback. If you have some feedback to share about how to improve performance I would love to hear about it. that's exactly why I started this post. to ask questions to the modding community and get feedback.

What you are proposing, based on the words on your post, is very tricky. Any creative environment constantly deals with this situations. Let me explain some basic etiquette and then you do whatever you want:

- If you take another person work and idea, modify a few things and you consider is a significant improvement on the original, then you should make it public. However you should state clearly that its a modification of another people work. Probably in the Title itself.

- If you take another person work and you use it to create a significantly different idea then it becomes your work and you deserve the right to name it, publish and promote it as something new.

It's a fine line and requires some maturity to see the difference.

In this particular case we could be facing some of the following situations.

- If you are offering some ENB settings then it's not a MOD. http://www.enbdev.com forums have a section specially to publish settings. Actually You can publish them anywhere you want as "SFB ENB settings".

- If you are offering ENB settings + a pack of textures to work better with your specific settings. Then it's a mod. publish it as "ENB+texture pack by SFB" of your own making giving the right credit to all the people who deserves it.

- If you took my files, modified them, and you are offering a mod with really dark visuals and the ability to add light to the sword to explore and fight in the darkness... then it has been done already. Probably you should publish something like this as "Blade of Light ENB+MOD v1.0 modified by sfb". The modification of a modification.
If this is the case I'd prefer for you to not doing it as is my project and I'm still working on it.

- If you took my files, modified them, and added them to your own new mod concept where many new things happen, and having a light in the sword is just a small part of it... then of course I can wait to see what you have in your hands and feel free to use anything you need from my work. (fyi changing the skies is not enough to enter this category).

In any case, do whatever you want of course.

sfb
Dragon

Postby sfb » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:39 am

Hey Piltrafus,

Sorry mate i should have been a bit more clear...

"- If you are offering ENB settings + a pack of textures to work better with your specific settings. Then it's a mod. publish it as "ENB+texture pack by SFB" of your own making giving the right credit to all the people who deserves it."

Yep that's exactly was what i was thinking mate. Basically as you know i really liked most of your settings but found that there was way too much bloom and flares outside. However when you tone them down, the indoor environments really suffer. So after a lot of tweaking i realised it was the skyboxes themselves causing or letting through rather alot of the bloom and flares. After a few days in gimp, editing, polishing and basically designing new darker skyboxes i've finally got a nice compromise.

The changes i've made are as follows...

Bloom, ssao and flares toned down a bit.
Different dof from one of my skyrim presets.
New brighter and better looking fire.bmp.
New brighter weapon light.bmp.
Light radius altered for better performance on weapon light.

Basically i found that by brightening the image it allowed me to tone down the settings without losing any of the effect indoors.

I did consider just releasing the skyboxes but they are really reliant on my new enb settings.

So in conclusion perhaps i'll just call it what you suggested and not include the weapon light part of it. It's only a small change really, anyone can change a bmp if they want to.

All credits to yourself and boris as i mentioned, i'll just credit myself for the skyboxes.

All in all I really just wanted to offer a slightly toned down version of your mod. Unfortunately making new skyboxes was the only way i could really achieve it. Perhaps there was an easier way, but i kept coming to the same conclusions.

Ok hopefully this ok, i really don't want to step on any toes here i just want to offer an alternative to the community.

Let me know what you think ...if it's all a bit complicated, i could just send you the skyboxes and settings and let you add them to moddb as an alternative version so it's all on the same page (and so we are to hehe)

ok let me know...
cheers
sfb

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”