BOD runs on Linux flawlessly

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

matas55
Whelp

BOD runs on Linux flawlessly

Postby matas55 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:54 pm

So I have finally talked my sister into trying GNU/Linux on her Sony VAIO laptop. :twisted:
It had Win8 preinstalled.
I've installed Linux Mint 17.2 on her 30GB SSD. The thing boots in seconds and works perfectly. Every single thing from bluetooth to Sony touchscreen worked out of the box. I didn't have to install a single driver. It works wonderfully on her laptop.

And I've been messing around with it for the time that I visited her.
I installed BOD GOG version using WINE 1.6.2. It installed without a problem. Runs great without any bugs both in OpenGL and 3dfx nglide.
Even mods work great.
BODLoader installs and works great through WINE.
Blade of Light ENB or any other wrapper type ENB doesn't even work on Windows 8 but it works on Linux Mint.
Gorentity Blood Mod only installs through BODLoader and works great too. Although standalone setup doesn't run in WINE for me.

I'll test some more mods and report back but so far the game runs Platinum through WINE :D

cieply
Dragon

Re: BOD runs on Linux flawlessly

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:22 pm

That's great! I tried once but all I got was no textures at all. I suspected luck of good linux driver for my crappy, to be honest card (Intel 945). I don't say there is none but I just don't have it in my slackware as I don't play under linux at all. I have to say I admire your attempt - it just proves how capable modern OS (here linux) is - you don't need super duper bloatware like windows 9000+ to run soft L)
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am

I really love GNU/Linux. I am nowhere near the expert power user and still don't know ins and outs of it. But based on my good and bad experiences so far it's my favorite OS. I love how lean it can be, how flexible it is and that's coming from a noob user. I'm thinking of trying a more barebones minimalist distro like ArchLinux, Slackware or Gentoo. From the things I read online and documentation I have found I'm leaning towards Arch.

Now only if Arma 3 would run in Linux I could ditch Windoze forever :D

cieply
Dragon

re: linux

Postby cieply » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:08 pm

only if Arma 3 would run in Linux
probably the last and only serious engine that used to run on linux was id software's id Tech 1...4. There is Rage == id Tech 5 but after bethesda took over id software they destroyed everything to the point where John Carmack left. Now there seem to be no one (correct me someone if I'm wrong) who would care about portability to such niche OS like linux.

c'est la vie

but hey, except gaming it's so much better for me either - I don't need bloated antivirus and works "straight from the box" with practically everything I need so maybe there is a chance after all
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

ETTiNGRiNDER
Hatchling

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:22 pm

What about LED and other modding tools, do those do OK under WINE as well?

cieply
Dragon

Re: What about LED and other modding tools...

Postby cieply » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:03 pm

You have to test.
Game works and so all mods - it's not an issue.
LED works, BmpToMMPCompiler compiler works but SGIMMPWorkstation is having problems - at least that's what I experienced (every time you access new directory you get messagebox with something like this: Access violation at address 004268D8 in module
'SGIMMPWorkstation.exe'. Read of address FFFF03C0., then after clicking ok you can proceed. Maybe SGI knows what to do with it...)
To avoid this I wrote my own mmp-decompiler which is console program and works fine under wine or natively in Linux, but I digress.
I don't know about TPTPT's stuff, I never used it and don't even know how - I guess I didn't feel need to use it so I didn't learn.
3DSMAx-2.5 - I couldn't run it - first it couldn't find paths, then after altering "[Directories]" section in 3dsmax.ini it said "Default material DLL not loaded" - I didn't know what that means so I couldn't solve it.

in few words - it's not possible to say everything works flawlessly but if you're determined you can solve it or use Virtual machine to run some windows just to use those programs if necessary.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”