New Maps and Mods.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: New Maps and Mods.

Postby prospero » Sun May 20, 2018 4:40 am

Thanks Cieply.

I have fixed (I hope) all known code errors/missing files and a few little details.

http://www.petrbnsfineart.com/bladestuf ... tch001.zip

All the other console error messages are either 'normal' or non-critical. :D

livid
Whelp

Postby livid » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

Hello again. Thanks for the tips Prospero, I managed to find the last one and finish the map. Very cool! :)

If you still want feedback, I have a couple of things you'd like to know. The last agitator had the same problem as the dwarves. He didn't attack me during the fight... not even once! That made the fight a bit boring. I'm thinking it has to do with saving the game. I remember the dwarves actually attacked me at some point early in the game.

Also, I think I receive too little damage. I don't even need to use the shield most of the time since my enemies deal like 50 damage at higher levels. Even red combos deal peanut damage. Never did I get hit "hard" enough to make me take a more careful approach to the fight. Both you and game dialogs say the player needs lots of potions but I think I only had to use one potion in the entire playthrough, so maybe something is wrong in my game, or that's the way it is.

And last question. There's a combo for the Black Sword called "Eagle's claw" (Attack + FB) which has a cool animation I'm not familiar with. Is it a new animation or an unused one from the game? I'd like to know more about it. The anim is "Kgt_g_23" but I can't find it in Knight's combos and I don't recall seeing it in game so that makes me think they simply didn't use that one.

Oh and I forgot to add in my first post that Vinculanus is a great character! Nice attacks and combos that flow perfectly in addition to some classic Knight combos. I love that you included Ragnar's sidestep attacks. I've always wanted to do those.
Well, that's all from me for this map. Good luck with your other projects. Every time someone releases a new mod, my day gets much better!

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 am

Just had a runthough and got my arse kicked. :oops:

The Eagles Claw is a heavy damage/low energy combo. I can't remember just what Knight attack it comes from. :roll:

I tried to make the combat of the NPCs more interactive than the main game. The code is quite complicated, so some
anomalies may creep in. Instead of going straight to the Player they are set to go for the nearest enemy. Also, if fighting
and attacked by another enemy they will switch opponents. If someone creeps up from behind some will execute the back
attack. The Player has a 'list' in his data and when he locks onto an enemy all available allies should come to his aid. This
works fine most of the time.
The soldier guards have a fairly basic combat system. The Captains (with the winged helmets) have a bit more finesse.
The big bald guys who appear now and then are spawned when an innocent civilian is killed. They are very tough and deal
heavy damage.

cieply
Dragon

some errors

Postby cieply » Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

There are few issues I wanted to mention:
- I couldn't pick up full life potion @ (68000, -7000, -94000) # this one may be solved already or maybe it's the one mentioned before by @livid
- there is bad or no texture @ (65500,-9000,34000)
- personally I don't think you really need additional space for potions, you can always go back and get few and there are not many (apart from "***spam***") along the way anyway
- there was a time when I was failing after one or two deaths beside the fact I was on level >= 4, then after restarting the game it has gone
- you can easily end up in the prisoner standing @ (42000, -4000, -1000) while attacking as you go forward attacking and in the same time get stuck in slipping animation
-fire arrows not always work, sometimes they don't get incinerated and act like normal ones

- not sure if you intended it - one can easily gen on rooftops @ (66000, -10000, -44000). If it's intended then fine, I like it - it's not like you can get anywhere this way - you can't.

some propositions as well
- foliage on trees is too transparent, should be almost opaque (at least way more than now) - not only doesn't look natural, it doesn't look at all. it ruins whole effect of smart trick you utilize. May even be some more of them.

- flame arrows fallen from killed enemies are unusable - it's pity cause recycling is only way to get them and they are only reasonable way to get rid of archers
- it's a pity you can't feed dog, dies very easily if won't manage to make him level up
- guards rot at main gate - they can't be called like dog (something like 'follow me' in short range for some limited time or something
- maybe some guards should have bow as they are arrow fodder at court yard with the tree like in shooting gallery
- grenades could leave smoke after explosion, like burnt corpses do - first few times I thought these boxes I was hitting killed me not the grenadier upstairs @(20000, -1000, -45000)
- I'm already lost - don't know what to do next and there is nothing that would give me any hint

Canals are indeed vast.
Dark trinity rocks!
Last edited by cieply on Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon May 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks. :D

The trees were an experiment. That is the best I can do with them. They are on big sheets, which makes
them very low poly and don't impact on performance. They look sort-of OK in the particular twilight ambience,
as if they are picking up illumination from nearby lights. I left them in purely for interest.

I deliberately didn't give the guards bows. The snipers are not valid enemies to them. If they were they would just try
to chase them and generally get confused. The Player can use a bow but very rarely needs it with the ranged attacks he
has with his magic weapons.

Flame arrows are set to burn out and become unusable. Good reason for this. The snipers can in theory fire an unlimited
amount. If you get too many the game slows down and eventually crashes. I put the ambush in to test the code. So you have
to use them in a map very sparingly.
*The first arrow they fire is not lit for some reason.

Getting stuck in opponents can happen. I will put in an emergency kill-key in case of that situation. :wink:

Some guards are set to stay at their posts. They will go and fight and return when finished. You wouldn't go
out and leave the place undefended. :lol:

The dog sometimes does very well. Gets up to level 12+. Other times he runs off and you never see him again. :roll:

All in all the game is quite easy for an experienced Player. Once you get a few kills in you level up fast. Higher level
enemies are dangerous. If you lose a life you lose a level and all the benefits - weapons are de-graded and you can lose
some combos. If you get too low you need you allies to help you.

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 pm

The trees were an experiment. That is the best I can do with them. They are on big sheets, which makes
them very low poly and don't impact on performance. They look sort-of OK in the particular twilight ambience,
as if they are picking up illumination from nearby lights. I left them in purely for interest.
I can see they don't make big performance impact and if so why don't make them bit better. You asked of opinion about the map and that's what I think - leafs shouldn't be that transparent and could even be more of them (I mean those sheets).
Getting stuck in opponents can happen. I will put in an emergency kill-key in case of that situation.
I meant this particular guy on the slope, he can be placed on the flat ground and stop being a problem.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm

That's as opaque as I can make them. :|

It's quite a tricky process placing the leaf-sheets. Maybe the top has died off. :lol:

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 pm

I have to believe you. Is that in any tutorial/manual/etc. you know of? In yours on bigtruck-canada there is rather about programming maps - I just only want to read and understand how it works as LED and all that kind of stuff is not my cup of tea. Even GtkRadiant was "too difficult" for me (although I was pretty good with and qbsp and quakec even) and it was simple and intuitive tool. So I get math better than "LED kind of stuff".
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 am

I found few other glitches:
- bad/missing texture @ (51000,-11000,-33000)
- artefact texture @ (64000, 500, -104000) (it isn't big glitch I would say)
- bookshelf @(-44000,-1999, -91000) - you can walk on this like on ladder in quake and end up in ceiling or get killed by that ceiling (ed:now I think that such stuff happens in the game all the time, don't think you can do something about it)
- whet you get killed while in dialogue mode (near tavern door) then you stay in this mode and cannot attack any more.
Last edited by cieply on Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

livid
Whelp

Re:

Postby livid » Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 am

- whet you get killed while in dialogue mode (near tavern door) then you stay in this mode and cannot attack any more.
Wait, why are my dialogs so big like this? I thought it had to do with this mod in particular because I recently played other mods that use TS and dialogs were like in Cieply's picture, way smaller and sometimes with a background.
Just curious.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks Guys.

The missing texture on the barriers is weird because it is derived from the same file
as most other objects in the game. Works for me. :roll:

I modded the text for the TS to make it more visible. The Original TS does have a background but
I'm not keen on the way it blocks out what is going on behind. I modded the colours so they contrast
with the background. Same as all my other mods. Also, when the TS was first released most people used
a lower screen resolution. If anyone wants smaller text I can easily make a custom patch. :D

I have taken steps to ensure you don't get into combat while in a conversation. I'll check the Tavern door. :D

Never climbed a bookshelf but I'll check it. :wink:

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm

I'm not sure about dialogs' fonts but when I run game in console (opengl) they are huge as well but not in fullscreen.

To me it looks like the greatest font is taken or the other possibility they are scaled so much with gargoyles/background. And I checked that in d3d and no such thing happens although d3d has it's own issues.

if you sheath glowing sword it will glow forever.
BTW. why, every time you un/sheath weapon console says 'Light torch'?
Last edited by cieply on Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue May 22, 2018 2:10 pm

It's the window size. You have to resize the window to >1200 width.

R-click the header bar and click Size. You should get a little crossed arrow cursor. Use the direction keys to
expand the window and click on the window when done.

There are lots of print statements in the code. I have disabled most but I may have missed some. :D

cieply
Dragon

window size

Postby cieply » Wed May 23, 2018 5:50 am

I tried to resize window and it didn't change anything - the font is still as big as it was (windowed mode). In fullscreen it's better, maybe even too small but there are not many options of regulating it with bitmap fonts like here. I noticed that when the fonts are so big text is not wrapped and goes beyond the screen - that's why it may be a problem if you experience it.
By trying to resize the window I discovered better way of doing that - dragging it with a mouse in opengl mode is rather annoying and most of the time you end up reducing it to post stamp size - for example: (in game console)
import Raster
Raster.SetWindowSize(1024,768)
will resize it to desired size without any hustle.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

small suggestion

Postby cieply » Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

DeadCountWidget is too high - it covers inventory widget and masks descriptions

Lowering it 50p will make it more usable and clear:
--- counter.py.oryg 2018-05-23 09:43:08.531250000 +0200
+++ counter.py 2018-05-24 00:05:14.875000000 +0200
@@ -19,7 +19,7 @@ wDeadCountText.SetAlpha(1)
-Scorer.wFrame.AddWidget(wDeadCountText,10,50,
+Scorer.wFrame.AddWidget(wDeadCountText,10,100,
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”