Read if you are experiencing errors / bugs

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Face The Slayer
Whelp

Read if you are experiencing errors / bugs

Postby Face The Slayer » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:01 pm

OK, maybe someone can sticky this thread so people can post bug fixes that they have found, to help those still having trouble.

BUG: Crash in Forge of Xshathra (sp?!) when killing DK near where you get Knight heavy armour.

DESCRIPTION: After the door opens and you jump across the lava you see a Dark Knight with a 1000 potion. If the enemy display at the top of the screen shows more than one DK, as soon as you kill him the game will crash.

FIX / WORKAROUND: This error only seems to occur when you have saved somewhere earlier in the level. If you don't save until you reach this point, you shouldn't see this problem.

-----------------------------------------------

BUG: Cutscenes get out of sync

DESCRIPTION: Some cutscenes don't play properly, which can be a problem if they are the ones you can't skip. The most annoying examples of this are

1) At the end of Oasis of Nejeb, when you walk into the big room with the pillars and are attacked by 4 skeletons. Your character will just wander into a wall and try to keep walking while the skellies hack him/her to pieces.

2) In the Abyss just before you meet Meskalamdug for the second time. Your character will run round in a circle and off the edge of the platform into the abyss.

FIX / WORKAROUND: I fixed this error by enabling vsync in display properties. Look for "Wait for vertical refresh" in ATI Catalyst Control Centre (select "No Preview" from the 3D menu at the side and scroll down to find this option). If you don't have ATI CCC, look for a similar option in the 3D card-specific settings under Display Properties. Alternatively keep hitting the Print Screen key while the cutscene is playing, to slow the framerate.

If you still have problems with cutscenes after enabling Vsync, then I don't know what to suggest, though the Orb cutscenes in Orlok (when you collect it and when you place it on the ground later) can both be skipped by pressing [ESC]. It's only really a major issue with cutscenes that cannot be skipped.

-----------------------------------------------

BUG: Saving Game Causes CTD (Crash to Desktop)

DESCRIPTION: Just as you select "yes" to save a game the screenshot is taken for the load/save menu and the game CTD's. Loading the game again loads an old game that was saved in that slot previously, not the game you tried to save.

FIX / WORKAROUND: When saving wait about 10 seconds before hitting the final "yes" to confirm. (allow the reverberating menu selection sound to stop playing completely).

Re: Read if you are experiencing errors / bugs

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:00 pm

Hello,

I'm having this weirdly mixed up images. This "F1" one and the loading screens during the launch of the game. This happens only with the rOpenGL graphic setting but it's the only setting that is playable for me. I only chose windowed mode to be able to capture the screen otherwise I play in full-screen mode. If anyone has/had similar problem or knows how to fix it, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Deer

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am

Just another weird bug. I've had it happen with menu images but never with the info screens.

Quickest way, which I did years ago is to find the .jpgs in the game files and print them out. :D

They are in Data/Tb/+language+/CharacterName

The colours need correcting, but are still readable as they are.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 am

hello i am having a issue with taking no damage. I am at the very first boss of the game after i picked up the power potion. I did not use it, it was in my inventory but after that i am invulnerable to everything. What causes this problem ?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 am

Yes that is a known issue that can happen in certain circumstances. It's something to do with the swinging pendulums rather than the potion. Only easy solution once you are invincible is to carry on or reload from a pre-pendulum save. You should go back to normal damage on the next level.

Clonest

Postby Clonest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:52 am

So my problem is I got the GOG.com edition of the game installed....it installs fine but when I go to configure my settings and then launch the game I get this error after a black screen pops up "MEM_RESIZED_FAILED" followed by a Micrisoft Visual C++ runtime error, something along the lines of abnormal program terminator etc......any help guys!?!?!? :cry:
i've tried every video mode/driver/resolution whatever you want to call it but nothing work, any specifics specs I should set it to or what?

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:48 am

So my problem is I got the GOG.com edition of the game installed....it installs fine but when I go to configure my settings and then launch the game I get this error after a black screen pops up "MEM_RESIZED_FAILED" followed by a Micrisoft Visual C++ runtime error, something along the lines of abnormal program terminator etc......any help guys!?!?!? :cry:
i've tried every video mode/driver/resolution whatever you want to call it but nothing work, any specifics specs I should set it to or what?
I found a solution to this problem, simply go to the folder where your game is installed Blade of Darkness/Data/video ... rename the folder "video" to something else, it should skip the intro, but the game finally loads, only problem now is MY SCREEN FINISHING LOADING AND I ARRIVE AT A EMPTY ROOM AND EVERY BUTTON I PRESS Says something like "no command selected" , the glitches just don't end for this game do they? :x

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:52 am

I don't have the GoG version, but I believe it uses the nGlide 3DFx wrapper.

Try setting the video to 3DFx Voodoo1-2 and the Audio to Miles2D

You should see the 3DFx logo after the intro movie. If it works, you can change the game resolution by running "nglide_config.exe" in the folder Blade of Darkness/Bin/
Mods: http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods

"The only solution is to solve the whole mystery, and return home as soon as possible."

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am

I don't have the GoG version, but I believe it uses the nGlide 3DFx wrapper.

Try setting the video to 3DFx Voodoo1-2 and the Audio to Miles2D

You should see the 3DFx logo after the intro movie. If it works, you can change the game resolution by running "nglide_config.exe" in the folder Blade of Darkness/Bin/
Thanks!, that actually worked too :D

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks!, that actually worked too :D
Cool, enjoy the game!
Mods: http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods

"The only solution is to solve the whole mystery, and return home as soon as possible."

cieply
Dragon

bone fire/many fires in view in rOpengl renderer crash

Postby cieply » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 pm

BUG:
rOpengl renderer crashes when many bone fires are in view
# mentioned already here: (Crash in Marakamda)
and here: (Re: tracing OpenGL crash/bug)

DESCRIPTION:
1. in Marakamda (Ruins_M4) passing temple door causes crash
2. in Xshathra (Volcano_M14) after passing Dungeon door and fighting with first Dark Knight (at left to the door) crashing in this lateral "corridor"
3. any other bonefire related crash you can find

FIX / WORKAROUND:
bonefire related crash can be workarounded by avoiding to see these fires or temporal using different renderer
- save game, and load it in d3d renderer, go through and save again to be able to get back in rOpengl
- avoid (imo more useful as it doesn't involve much hustle):
-- after unlocking temple door turn around and go through them backwards - it works, I've done it numerous times ( check this video )
-- don't fight in the lateral corridor - pass through and go forward to next two knights, the first you've left will come anyways and you will avoid crash
Last edited by cieply on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Jonny_Segment

Postby Jonny_Segment » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 am

Firstly, this is for the GOG version. I do still have my original CD but I didn't fancy expending the effort required to get it to run :P

I had pretty much the problem described here:
Just as you select "yes" to save a game the screenshot is taken for the load/save menu and the game CTD's. Loading the game again loads an old game that was saved in that slot previously, not the game you tried to save.
except I didn't get a crash to desktop, the game just froze (I could often Alt-Tab to desktop, then go back to the game, although for some reason without any HUD objects (health bar, att/def levels etc), which was always a sign it hadn't saved properly.)

In my case, this only happened when trying to overwrite saves from previous levels. If I started a new level, I could make a new save and keep using it for that entire level.

ANYWAY I managed to solve it by going to my game's Save folder, and deleting everything inside. Yes, everything *(apart from a mysterious .txt file called 'No Borrar'. I didn't trust it :P ). It had two folders, one called 'Save 1' and one called 'Save 2' (or similar), plus various files relating to either Save 1 or Save 2. I rather rashly just deleted them all, but now everything seems to be fine, and all my saves are intact. I have no idea where saves are actually stored, but apparently it's not in the Save directory :P

If you try this, obviously be careful and maybe make back-ups of the contents of that folder.

TLDR: Had trouble overwriting old saves; deleted everything* [see above] in Save folder; now fixed with saves inexplicably intact :)

Carne Seca
Hatchling

Postby Carne Seca » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Well hello forum 8)

I've registered an account here mainly to the intent that I may let you know I've come across what's probably the closest thing to a perfect setup for running BOD.

All crashing, freezing and blinking/black screens are gone (Sargon's intro anybody?). That nasty video stuttering is almost completely gone (leave any of the turn around keys pressed for any amount of time and you'll see what I'm talking about). Videos play back correctly, which personally I had not been able to watch from within the game in well over a decade. Slow menu selection, gone. There may some issues remain that have been inherited, originally already a problem on systems from the very BOD's era, but so far as I've been re-playing this masterpiece, one has yet to manifest itself (which doesn't mean they won't, for it stands to reason that what was broken then should still be broken now)

I discovered this entirely by chance, I wasn't looking for it. I just happened to have this computer laying around, that someone had entrusted me to have repaired, but never bothered to return and pick it up.

Sticking to an old GF6 video card with non-contemporary drivers worked well for very much everything except BOD, only now have I realized.

Here's the setup, the relevant parts that is:

. CPU = Intel E5300.
. Socket = 775 LGA.
. Northbridge = Intel G41 rev. A3.
. Southbridge = Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1.
. Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset.
. 32-Bit Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.
. Latest FFDSHOW.
. Latest DirectX and drivers.
. Blade Of Darkness...and here's the catch...Spanish version 1.01 (yes, it does make a difference stability-wise)
. Direct3D Permedia Raster (yes, this one, as it improves the aforementioned stuttering and performance for fire/smoke and similar particle effects)

The even better news is, this particular piece of hardware can be exceeding fast (relatively speaking, of course), given the right CPU and enough memory, so it's not like you'd have to keep 2 computers around if that were an issue with you.

Well, that's it, hope someone will benefit from it.

navary

Postby navary » Fri May 08, 2015 10:39 pm

Severance: Blade of Darkness

OpenGl patch fix screen miss menu!
linck:
http://www.moddb.com/games/severance-bl ... ngl-raster

Install:
Uncompress the zip file in the folder (Path)\Bin\Raster, where Path is where Blade/Severance has been installed.

Setup: Config : Color : Gama 2 or 4 : Brightness 2 or4 : Contrast 8 or 10

Character run round in a circle ( Bugged Events )

EX..In the Abyss just before you meet Meskalamdug for the second time. Your character will run round in a circle
and off the edge of the platform into the abyss.

ATI Catalyst Control Centre:

FIX / WORKAROUND: I fixed this error by enabling vsync in display properties. Look for "Wait for vertical refresh"

in ATI Catalyst Control Centre (select "No Preview" from the 3D menu at the side and scroll down to find this

option). If you don't have ATI CCC, look for a similar option in the 3D card-specific settings under Display

Properties. Alternatively keep hitting the Print Screen key while the cutscene is playing, to slow the framerate.

Nvidia Control Panel

Manage 3D Setting => Global Settings find "Vertical sync" make it "ON"
Manage 3D Setting => Program Settings
1 Select a program to customize: Blade of Darkness(blade.exe)

2 Specify The Setting for this Program: click on Restore or "Vertical sync" make it Use global settings (on)
it is the same for step 1 :D

ETTiNGRiNDER
Hatchling

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi BoDders. I was going to play through Blade again but hitting a problem that's really getting in the way... when I go to the Mines of Kelbegen level, seemingly one of three things happens with as far as I can tell no rhyme or reason as to which (restarting after dying or loading a save from this level has the same effect):

1) I get lucky and the level loads and plays normally.
2) The loading bar fills up, then the game locks and makes a jittering sound (as if the first part of some audio is being repeated very fast)
3) The loading bar doesn't fill up all the way, and the game locks.

When the game locks, it's a total blowup... I can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL out so I have to hit the system power button. Not good. Anyone had similar happen? Khazel Zalam and Tell Halaf don't exhibit the same problem so it seems to be related to the map, somehow.

Stuff:
Using the GOG release. Looks as if you can't file for support there any more since they stopped selling it.
Using the 3dfx Voodoo 1-2 graphics setting, but changing it to a different one didn't seem to make much difference (and have worse issues on the visual front).
Sound setting is Miles. Not experimented much with others.
Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450.
System's on Windows 10. I don't remember having this problem before that but it's been quite a while since I played that far.
Closing down other programs (browser, IM, etc.) didn't appear to make a difference.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”