Read if you are experiencing errors / bugs

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

cieply
Dragon

Re: Mines of Kelbegen crash

Postby cieply » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:22 pm

I have never experienced such behaviour but from your description I drawn conclusion that you should try different sound setting - "DirectSound3D Software Emulation" is the most compatible one and "DirectSound3D 7+ Software - Pan and Volume" is also known to work very well (there are subtle differences which I don't exactly remember as I use the first one mentioned and stick to it as it works but I remember from forum discussion/s that other ones also have application but everything depends on your circumstances - experimenting is the best way to check it and you can't screw anything really this way). If you have done everything what is "required" to run the game in windows7+, like using rOpengl renderer, compatible sound settings as the most basic ones you shouldn't have problems with running game.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Sir Random
Dragon

Re: Read if you are experiencing errors / bugs

Postby Sir Random » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 pm

It's strange that it works sometimes and not others, have you tried changing compatibility settings in Win 10?
Mods: http://daniel.brayforum.com/blademods

"The only solution is to solve the whole mystery, and return home as soon as possible."

ETTiNGRiNDER
Hatchling

Re: Mines of Kelbegen crash

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 am

Ok, after some wrangling (and rebooting) it appears that it is in fact renderer related, using the 3dfx Voodoo 1-2 has this problem (and it doesn't seem to make much difference which wrapper is used). For the record, when trying different sound systems, DirectSound3D Software Emulation made the problem worse (locked on loading any level) while DirectSound3D Pan + Volume was about the same as Miles stability-wise (this with 3dfx, at least). Why it triggers specifically on Mines of Kelbegen (and only sometimes, at that)? No idea.

I've got ahold of SGI's fixed rOpenGL version now, and that takes care of the atmosphere issues with GL so I think I'm set to go.

ETTiNGRiNDER
Hatchling

Solid squares appearing in place of GlowTextures - probable fix

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:40 pm

I guess the best place to put this would be here.

I was experiencing the "big rhombus" error with GlowTexture talked about over on this thread and looked at cieply's attempt at fixing it, but it was noticeably wrong by the screenshots (his fix was making the game use a different image for the GlowTexture than the intended one, and had nothing to do with making one image act as a mask for another one as he seemed to think... I'm pretty sure it's simply working because he made it use an image that was loaded through Bladex.ReadBitMap as I detail below). After ruling out the image itself being corrupt in the Data folder, I tinkered a bit and think I've found a pretty simple fix:

In Scripts\InitParticleSystems.py, you'll notice that some of the flares and stuff are loaded with Bladex.ReadBitMap and others with Bladex.ReadAlphaBitMap. For the line that loads an image for the offending GlowTexture, change ReadAlphaBitMap to plain ReadBitMap and it should work. You can't see the results by reloading a savegame from the area you were having the problem, though, unfortunately (I guess it already remembers loading it the "wrong" way?) I tested it using IronLord's "Nirvana" map as a quick test case so you might do the same if you have the issue on the rainbow stars in that map.

Obviously, you'll want to backup InitParticleSystems.py and I would guess delete the .pyc version once you make changes to make sure it recompiles.

Why this works, and why it's wrong in the original game scripts, I don't know... possibly another inconsistency with the OpenGL renderer?

Edit: Confirmed that this works (for me at least) on the opal gem Birr in Nemrut if the game is started with the script changes I described. Haven't gotten to the skull trap in the Temple of Ianna but I don't see any reason to doubt that'll be fixed as well. Here are the fixed lines in InitParticleSystems.py:

Code: Select all

Bladex.ReadBitMap("../../Data/Flare magico 128.BMP","MagicFlare128") Bladex.ReadBitMap("../../Data/Estrellita2.bmp","StarParticle")

cieply
Dragon

Re: Solid squares appearing in place of GlowTextures

Postby cieply » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:55 pm

I tested your stuff and it works - in fortress of Nemrut, gorge of Orlok and even in temple of Ianna. Finally I got what all this actually does, so thanks for that.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”