Vista again...

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

anderoo2
Whelp

Vista again...

Post by anderoo2 »

Firstly, hello again to those of you from the original BOD forum from back in the day (where I was anderoo, not anderoo2)! If you remember me, anyway. If you do, you'll recall I was (and am) a huge BOD fan, but I now have a serious problem.

IT WON'T WORK!

I bought a new computer - a laptop running vista (I know...). BOD seems to install OK but double clicking on the desktop icon makes the CD spin but nothing else happens. I can't get the damn thing started.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, I'd love to be able to play it again.

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Please help if you can - it's windows vista home premium, intel core duel processor @ 2HGz, and a modern nvidia graphics card

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Anderoo.[8D] It's going back a bit now, but the name does seem familiar.

Can't help much though. Never had a laptop and never had vista. There are a few members who are a bit more clued up than myself. I'm sure someone will be able to shed some light. There have been a few issues (check the back posts) with vista. Then again there are a few with XP, which don't seem to affect everybody the same way. Never heard of the launcher failing to initialise.

So calling all PC experts. Help this guy out.[:D]

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Thanks for the reply Prospero, I remember you from the old days! No sign of Johnvoodoo... [:D]

It is wierd. I've read all the relevant old topics hoping for a solution, but my problem seems different in that it won't start at all. Some old games work fine (e.g. Half Life) and some like BOD and Drakan (my two faves [V] ) don't.

It's great to see there's still a BOD community going.

Vasja
Dragon

Post by Vasja »

Why your CD player spins upon the Blade.exe launch ?
What does it search for there ? Be sure you lanch Blade.exe
from the installation directory, at second - may be No-CD patch will get you to the initial menu ?
#
Blade doesn't need any Windows installation - registry changing,
dat files modifying, just copy all directories tree to your hard disk
and start ..//Bin//Blade.exe
#
Get to the initial window "Game launcher" at first.
#
Shw32.dll ? Has it been stolen by anyone ?
Where do you install Blade from ? Is it licensed CDisk, zip archive,
self-made CDisk, self-extracted archive ?
#
Why is it absent ? Look at your /Blade/.../Bin directory, he lives there. <font color="green">Shw32.dll</font id="green">
Wellll, has laser disk installation passed ? There should appear Blade directory tree with all stuff.
#
This thread should be completely deleted !
Step by step, explain, how does your CDisk installs BOD ?
Step by step and what do you see in your hard drive.

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Cheers Vasja. I'll try the no CD patch, got to be worth a punt.

Is there a chance it's just not installing properly? I remember on my old computer it took forever to install, on my new one it takes hardly any time. Maybe something to do with vista's over the top self-protection?

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

OK< I uninstalled it and copied the files from the CD to my hard drive, double clicked on the blade exe and now have the following error message:

Blade.exe - Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because shw32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I tried to run the exe from the previous installation (before uninstalling and copying the files) and got the same error. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for the help so far...

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

No, it hasn't been stolen, and it's a legit CD bought with my own pennies! Same result whether I install it properly or copy all the files onto my hard drive. Do you know what that 'missing' file is?

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Cheers for that Vasja - I put that file in the Bin folder and now it's asking for mss32.dll. I think something weird is happening - presumambly there ought to be a load of files in the Bin folder? All I have is the blade.exe...

brian
Dragon

Post by brian »

Entire contents of my Bin folder
Hope it helps

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

Thanks for that Brian, you're a star :)

With all that lot I can now launch the launcher, so that's a start! However, there's npw a new error. When I've done the set-up and click play it now says:

player1 not declared in pj.py

Any ideas? Thanks again in advance.

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

I think it's just not installing properly for some reason. I tried it on a work PC and it installed and ran fine. When I tried reinstalling it at home I noticed that all the installation screens (the full screen pictures with the red progress bar at the bottom) are missing - it's just the Windows file transfer windows.

So, I'm going to try installing it on my work PC, copying the whole Severance folder onto a DVD and then copying it onto my home computer.

In better news, I finally got Drakan working :)

Edward Sassenach
Whelp

Post by Edward Sassenach »

I just can generally say about Vista-it is designed with super clever security in mind(question is such OS is good for business not for gamers) so Vista supresses some files in some games because of it.If running application as administrator won't help...

anderoo2
Whelp

Post by anderoo2 »

That's kind of what I suspected Edward. How do you run it in administrator? I'm not very technical, as you've gathered...!

johnvoodooo
Whelp

Post by johnvoodooo »

I remember u anderoo mk1 ;) hows it going m8. i should have mentioned u in my chrissy thread.. but i did'nt so i'll say Merry Xmas here :) anyway!.. gotta run.. toodle pip till next time.. have a good one :)