the reason of no strafe

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

gorilla325
Whelp

the reason of no strafe

Postby gorilla325 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:27 am

i wonder if anyone knew the answer for the designers to make this game without strafes?

i stated my guess before, i will state it again here.
my guess is that without strafe, designers forced players to lock on to enemy.
so the combo in the game would be then be smoothly executed. some people said that they can play BOD without locking on.
however, i felt it's easier to kill enemies with locking on.

i was watching Rune 1v1 gameplays on youtube. while i was admiring them, i also felt the game was very different, gameplay wise, comared to BOD. so i found some BOD gameplay video to watch. although i ventured to come up with a guess, i am still baffled though. so, let's say what if we have strafes for BOD, would the experience became something like RUNE totally? i guess there must be some skills involved in RUNE, though i did not see much except jumping around. :p now i think about it...RUNE is actually more like star war jedi academy...

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:30 am

Coz they fcked up/ it slipped their minds.
Strafe would be extremely useful in non-combat situations; opening doors ,avoiding traps & cliffs etc.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:28 am

Some people play using the keyboard only. Others use mouse to steer. Personally I'm a keyboard-only man. Only touch the mouse to shoot arrows. It depends on what you are used to. Die-hard FPS gamers probably will find the controls awkward. Not having strafe has never really bothered me to be honest.[8)]

mikros
Dragon

Postby mikros » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Like gadunz, I miss the strafe outside combat.

I guess that they thought that strafing and lock-on were redundant and chose the latter.

Vasja
Dragon

Postby Vasja » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Strafe is absent and will be absent. It is not a quake.

gorilla325
Whelp

Postby gorilla325 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:40 pm

yes...it's is absent... but why? were there many third person ation fighting PC games without strafes at the time BOD came out? from the games i know, there're none... :p

i did not play many games though, here're what i played: Rune, Oni, Heavy metal FAKK2, star war jedi knight. oh, wait, there's another third person action fighting PC game without strafe, which was one must fall battlegrounds. and that one needs to have lock on system, just like BOD. no strafes is a conscious design choice...

lock on and no strafes...these two must be one the reasons why BOD different from other similar games, like rune and star war jedi academy... however...with strafes they could still add lock on system in there...

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:54 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vasja</i>

It is not a quake.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Quirk.

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:05 pm

The designers really wanted you to lock onto enemies in order to steer your Combos more effectively.
Had they made a strafe, people might have played BoD more like Rune, which (while fun), hardly has any depth to the combat.

I still think they made a mistake. No strafe turned allot of people off. While I'm used to it now, I agree that a strafe function would be good. There's a strafe mod but it just doesn't feel right.

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:45 pm

You can't get strafe mod without respawn IIRC, which I hate.

Queso
Hatchling

Postby Queso » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:51 am

If you had pay a lil more attention to the movements, animations and physics in general, you would likely conclude they did this solely for the sake of realism. Nobody really strafes in real life, it just doesn't come naturally to the type of morphology the player models are based on.

Almost forgot, hello forum :)

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:38 am

I & every other able bodied person I know can move/walk sideways ("strafe").
You must belong to a society of deformed cripples.

Queso
Hatchling

Postby Queso » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:51 am

Of course we can, but we normally don't ;)

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:54 am

We also normally don't fight to the death with swords in castles, either.

Queso
Hatchling

Postby Queso » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:20 am

They aimed at keeping the movements real, not the situations the player is put through.

Just watch people in a gallery. Is anybody strafing? nope, they all turn before walking into the next section ;)

Obviously strafing is implemented into games just for convenience.

gadunz
Dragon

Postby gadunz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:32 am

People in art galleries aren't fighting.
When I did 3 yrs of judo & 5 yrs of Okinawan Goju Ryu karate, sidestepping was essential & taught.
But not in fencing, where for 2 hrs every week for 3 yrs I was constrained to a narrow rectangular piste. 1 foot over the line was penalised.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”