Widescreen and BOD.

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Severance doesnt really support 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio which all new screens use today.
However Most screens have an aspect ratio settings in the screen menu, that will automaticly (at least on my screen "BenQ E2400 HD") change when a game
doesnt have the widescreen option.
Personally i loved my screen when i found out about that option, since i dont have to worry about games that doesnt support widescreen.

So, click on the buttons on either side of the monitor and when you find the monitor settings menu look for screen settings and then search for aspect ratio settings.

nightdragon
Hatchling

Postby nightdragon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:22 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does BOD support widescreen?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
24" 1920x1200. BOD works fine.

RGR

Re: Widescreen and BOD.

Postby RGR » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Ah, but is it STRETCHING? The distortion in SBOD is terrible when stretched to widescreen. Dozens of mods for this game and NOBODY has the skill to make a widescreen mod. Enclave and Die by the Sword both supported widescreen out of the box and came out the same year.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I got no idea how to change it through other means than what ive said before (which btw is the fastest and easiest way imo)
and that is to set the monitor settings for picture aspect ratio to 4:3 when ever playing a non-widescreen game,
on some monitors theres an Auto setting where you dont have to change it everytime you play a 4:3 game.

arokhfan
Whelp

Postby arokhfan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

with my LCD 22 inches, I just set the aspect ratio to 4:3 all the time. The screen will automatically stretch to fit the screen resolution. I even wonder what is the full screen option for since at 16:9 and 16:10 it will stretch to full screen.

Although you can run BOD in widescreen but the characters become much shorter. 4:3 ratio is the best to look at.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 am

I suppose you could always play in window mode. Then you can have it whatever shape you want. Only prob is you can't seem to change the video settings. And a bit of the energy bar gets cropped.

arokhfan
Whelp

Postby arokhfan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 am

A side question: how do I know the native aspect ratio of a game. I usually base on a circle, if it is round then I decide it is the right ratio; but some game it is not easy to tell. Even there is only 2 ratio to select either 4:3 or widescreen. An example is "Mount and Blade", I am not sure it is widescreen or 4:3.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 am

If it doesn't say in the regular video options you can always look at the resolutions, for example 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are 4:3 resolutions.
And another easy way is to look straight down or up and spin around and see if the ground, ceiling or sky makes weird wavy lines,
because then you will know that you have the wrong aspect ratio or resolutions.
However, if that doesnt work, (e.g. a game you can not look up or down in) then you only need to tilt your head to either side while you look at objects.

For further information on resolutions visit these pages:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... dards4.svg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions

Crawdaddy79
Dragon

Postby Crawdaddy79 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

A lot of games don't have a "native" aspect ratio. BoD is one of the few that do, and it's a 4:3 ratio. I play at 1280 x 960 and deal with black bars around my 1920 x 1080 monitor to keep it "square". If I were crafty, I could edit .ini settings in my video card driver installation that allowed for 1440 x 1080 resolution (maximizing my 4:3 potential), but I'm not as crafty as I used to be.

Other games will naturally allow you to go widescreen without stretching the scene (Bloodrayne, for example).

Not sure about the comment above about Enclave and Die by the Sword coming out in the same year... DbtS came out way before BoD, and Enclave way after.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”