bugs with the knight ?

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

bodfan
Dragon

bugs with the knight ?

Postby bodfan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 am

3 bugs with the mine:

1. when the lava cutscene is done, the feet of knight did not move readily. He died nearly a dozen times.

2. when he reached the top with the rune, he just stood there, he body swayed a little. Clicking the window key made him move again.

3. At the end when knight put the 3 gems into its appropriate sockets, the game became very weird: knight walking around aimlessly. I clicked the window key more than a dozen times, then it fixed it.

windows XP 32 bit.
Mind you, I ran without these bugs in win2K pro years ago.

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:12 pm

I also experienced those problems and I don't think it's only for the knight.
The problem is, if I'm not mistaken, with direct3D. Go with opengl and you should be fine. Sometimes d3D works but it's hit and miss.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:05 pm

How do you set up with OpenGL? the launcher setup only provides D3D. I have nvidia card.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

you download the OpenGL raster and put it in the game folder, ill update this post when i find the link

(edit)
http://www.thecrawdaddypage.com/reviews ... raster.zip

not sure where you put it but there are more files with the same file name.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:23 am

I tried using the OpenGL but the colors leak it looks pretty bad. Come to think about it, when I played BOD on my win2k, there was no bug and the same setup w/o OpenGL.

bla
Whelp

Postby bla » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

I play severance two ways. With d3D which is graphically the best option, until it inevitably fails, especially on those areas you mentioned and with opengl if I want to progress without hiccups. Opengl doesn't look as good but you can tweek it. I have gamma at 10 brightness at 15 and contrast at 10. Try to find the settings that suit you best.
There is also a patch that corrects some fog bugs like in gorge of orlok

Yavor
Whelp

Postby Yavor » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm

In addition to d3d and opengl, you can also use 3dfx glide.

You simply need to install a glide wrapper.

After I hit the gorge of orlok fog bug with opengl, I decided to look for another renderer. I tested the 3dfx glide option by using zeckensack's Glide wrapper. You can get it from

http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/

To my surprise, the game became incredibly beautiful compared to the opengl version, even though I was using 640x480 resolution. The much higher resolution on opengl can't even be compared to the 3dfx option in terms of overall graphics quality.

As a side note, the d3d renderer always crashed at the beginning for me, and I was unable to get it running.

So I finished the game with that 3dfx wrapper, and there were no bugs or problems save for a very small character portrait corruption which happened once, but that was the only bug I encountered. On the other hand the game looked old-school and fantastic at the same time. All in all, the 3dfx renderer did make a great difference.

There are other glide wrappers as well, but zeckensack's wrapper worked great for Blade of Darkness. Just make sure you select "most fancy shaders" on the limit feature set, and set texture memory to 16mb in the glide wrapper configuration. The other options do not need to be changed. Also, I recommend you play in 640x480 since 3dfx works best at that resolution. It might seem low at first, but make sure to try it out at least once. It's simply stunning.

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Yavor</i>

In addition to d3d and opengl, you can also use 3dfx glide.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Yavor, that's very interesting. I was/am a big fan of 3dfx glide (I still have my Voodoo 1 + 2 cards).

The objects look much better with 3dfx, they can look 'washed out' with OpenGL.

I tried running my mod with the wrapper, and all the textures look like they're covered in a growth, and the skybox is dark and distorted, but the chars and objects look great! I've no idea why this is...

Yavor
Whelp

Postby Yavor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:42 pm

I think that it could be due to a couple of reasons.

First, I tested the wrapper on a Geforce Gts 250 card using Windows Vista. It's very probable there might be problems if you are using an Ati/Amd card. Some wrappers work better on Nvidia, others on Ati and I guess it also depends on the operating system.

As a suggestion, did the original unmodded game work okay for you?

You can also try a couple of other good wrappers, but I haven't tested them on this game.

The first one is dgvoodoo. It's no longer updated but it's still one of the best.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/

1.50 beta 2 works fine for Need for Speed II SE for me.

There is also a new one called n-glide. Looks very promising and development is ongoing.

http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

I haven't tested any games on n-glide though, because either zeckensack or dgvoodoo works great for my 3dfx games.

And finally, I should mention that I used the 1.01 patch for Blade of Darkness.

I hope you manage to get it running properly, because 3dfx looks astounding for Blade of Darkness. Don't forget to fiddle with the different settings for each wrapper. Sometimes you need to change one or two options to get it running properly for your system.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:31 pm

You said wrapper-glide produces astounding images as compared to OpenGL or D3D ?

Yavor
Whelp

Postby Yavor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I can't comment on d3d, because I couldn't get past the menu. Fonts were missing, and commands weren't registered. I just couldn't get it running on my system.

On the other hand, compared to opengl, the difference is colossal. Simply put, 3dfx makes it look immensely richer while retaining that old-school feeling. All this in turn gave me a fantastic overall impression and I really loved the game. I shouldn't forget to say that using 3dfx also fixed all the bugs I was having in opengl, and the game became very stable as well. Highly recommended.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:49 pm

I only used wrapper-glide when my character entered the temple where he is going to challenge the necromancer the second time. The other times I stick to D3D which has better graphics and resolution. But wrapper-glide did save my day that time. Thanks.

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks Yavor for the n-glide tip.[:)]
I had tried other glide wrappers a few years ago but could not get them to work with BoD.
n-glide works really well and is really easy to setup.
It is a great option to Opengl & D3D.
I've also been trying to get BoD to recognise the <b>enb D3D</b> but no luck so far.
http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

Yavor
Whelp

Postby Yavor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Glad it worked for you Brian. It's good to know that n-glide does the job as well.

Regarding enb D3d, I think that's the first time I hear about it. Is it supposed to be some kind of a direct3d wrapper? From what I've seen on the website, I think they have to support the game first, but I may be wrong. I am curious how Blade of Darkness looks in direct 3d mode. I am also eager to compare it to 3dfx.

Hmm here is what I read in the enb website:

"Some versions of convertor included in graphic mods, check them also if target game won't work properly with convertor you are using. At this moment only direct3d8 to direct3d9 (dx8 to dx9) convertor is done, but i'm still planning to create versions for dx5,6,7 and opengl."

Hmm that means that Blade of Darkness won't work since it's Directx 7.

brian
Dragon

Postby brian » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 pm

I forget how old BoD is sometimes. I did not realise it was directx7. No wonder my experiments with enb were going no-where[:p]
In answer to your question:
Yes, enb versions are made for certain games. But you can experiment with them on unrelated d3d games. It can be a hit-and-miss affair but I have found some decent results.
Here's hoping the dx7 converter arrives at some point.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”