Do you like to block ?

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

How many times did you use blocking ?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

0%
33%
lower than 25%
67%
from 25% to 50%
No votes
from 50% to 75%
No votes
from 75% to 100%
No votes

Total votes: 3

arokhfan
Whelp

Do you like to block ?

Postby arokhfan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I myself never block !

Afterthought: Blocking maybe a good thing vs orcs and trolls but need both practice and good key control map. I have decided to try another round starting with Sargon(1) after I completed this round.

(1) Sargon is my favourite character by far, next comes Zoe. Naglfar and Tukaram are about equal, Nag is without reach and Tuk is slow, very slow.

Anyway, I enjoy the game greatly, even better than before.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: Do you like to block ?

Postby prospero » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:37 pm

I'm more of a dodger. 8)

Blocking with 2-Handed weapons is a nice feature, but in practice it isn't very useful. And you risk breaking your weapon. I think in all the time I have been playing I have only had one 2H weapon break and that's when I was trying to do so. :P

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Blocking with 2H weapon can indeed destroy it but only, purely theoretically - I noticed that weapons are somewhat resistant to damage or don't know how to call it - check yourself that blocking with, let''s say spear chaos knight's attack doesn't damage it that much. And they get repaired when go to next map.
I never checked what is the exact value and what are the factors of it however, so cannot say definitively why is that. Simply - because I usually play with Amazon and blocking with her is not very effective method - rather to avoid attacks than "simply" block.
Last edited by cieply on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:23 pm

The only time I remember ever using block is after my character is stunned by a blocked attack. After someone blocks my attack, I either try to block myself as fast as possible, as they'll try to get the jump on me or I just dodge backwards. Dodging sometimes doesn't work, blocking works if the enemy goes in for the attack. Mostly played as Tukaram, and his blocking animation is just horrible, but it helps in very rare situations. VERY rare.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:47 am

block is something i did on my first playthrough but after a while during that time i lost too many shields, and only carry shields that give bonuses, its far cheaper to just dodge attacks.

If there would be a BoD 2, blocking is something that needs a real good look at.

Carne Seca
Hatchling

Postby Carne Seca » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 pm

When I first played BOD, I didn't even care about tactics, combos and special moves, let alone blocking. I just went through the whole thing like some sort of giant blander missing the jug :mrgreen:

As I matured in the richness of BOD, however, I figured I'd much rather use all of those things mentioned above than to save every two steps!

Yes, blocking is still a must for me even close to 15 years after the event, but I agree it's a lesser necessity for the better skilled.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”