[Bug] Need a bit of help, please. Game does not start up or even provide error message

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Vitiate
Hatchling

[Bug] Need a bit of help, please. Game does not start up or even provide error message

Postby Vitiate » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 am

Hello,

Will just bring over what I have posted on another forum.

General specs of my computer are (will provide more if needed):

-Intel i7 - 4770K CPU
-16 GB DDR3 RAM
-Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 770

Installed the game on my main drive (SSD) into my GoG folder. Everything seems to be proceeding fine. However, when starting up the program, nothing visible happens. The only telltale sign the program ran was that the process uses all my remaining CPU power. No error messages pop up, not even a black screen - it is as if I did not run the program at all.

Using Task Manager, I try to check to see if it is running in the background. Technically, something does. The program starts up rundll32.exe and keeps going (I interrupt the program after 5 minutes). In the Applications tab, nothing shows.

While I do not think it is due to the Video trick, I try renaming the folder as well as changing the .mpg file into .avi. Same result. Messing around with some of the compatability settings do not cause the program to run either. I tried messing with the Nglide_config application but I am not familiar with it enough to know if I am using it correctly. However, I have tried removing (cannot seem to uninstall) the file for that version of Nglide and going for the most recent version instead. Still nothing.

If anyone has some potential solutions, I would love your help. Thank you in advance.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Re: [Bug] Need a bit of help, please. Game does not start up or even provide error message

Postby MBK_MBK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am

(Using goog translator...)

Greetings,
I am not sure if I could help you, but when I have tried to play BoD in a new computer, I also have the same kind of problems.

I will put here some text that I say before:

"Well, as you know, it may be due to incompatibility with Windows or with the graphics card.

The game worked well in Windows XP...

The problem of the black letters, is corrected with the OpenGL graphic mode.

The problem with the video of the beginning, depends on if you have the old codecs or not. To save the conflict, modify the name of the video or delete it, or go to the part where the code is running the video and comment it with #. So the video should not provoke anything, but it will not be seen either.

The other compatibility problems with software and hardware, could be solved if we configure the executable file (Blade.exe) in "Windows XP compatibility mode". It is not 100% sure, but it should work."

...If BoD does not works well, may be due to hardware or software incompatibilities. Sorry, I hope some friend can help you better.
Loose your ghosts, because they keep suspiciously your freedom.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Re: [Bug] Need a bit of help, please. Game does not start up or even provide error message

Postby MBK_MBK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am

Or maybe, the code of the game is well?
The .dll files and the executable .exe are well?
Some virus have erased or corrupted the BoD files?... :?
Loose your ghosts, because they keep suspiciously your freedom.

Sryml
Dragon

Postby Sryml » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 am

There is indeed a problem with this, run Blade.exe, and the task manager will see it launch rundll32.exe. Sometimes waiting for a dozen seconds of game window will appear, and sometimes it will never appear. You only need to run Blade.exe twice quickly and the game window will definitely appear.

I have previously released an optimized configuration that solves this problem with a batch script that can quickly launch BoD.

Vitiate
Hatchling

Postby Vitiate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 am

MBK_MBK,

I would like to say first that I appreciate you taking the time to try to help a stranger. The game is an old (but looks to be good!) game and, usually, communities that form from them will move on after some time. As such, it is hard to find people that will try to help newcomers with issues that may come up.

I have read and tried to apply your solutions but it still does not allow the game to run. This is likely due to difficulty that may be not apparent.

Having said that, I have tried Sryml's solution and it actually allowed me to run the game without issues (so far, aside from having multiple .exes run at one time)! I have not played far yet so I cannot say more.

MBK_MBK, thank you again for trying to help. It is appreciated!

Srmyl,

I tried your solution, and while it is counter-intuitive, it actually worked. So far, I have no issue with anything else. Thank you for your help!

I do have one question (and perhaps it may lead to more questions); how did you know of this bug? Looking at the forums, it is not a bug that does come up often.

Sryml
Dragon

Postby Sryml » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Vitiate,
This may be a neglected problem that has plagued me for a long time. I often do some game debugging (on the win7 system), my game crashed hundreds of times, every time I reopen the game I have to wait for it for a while.
I don't know why I don't care about this bug because it will always run successfully. But recently, I decided to find out the cause and fix it.

As MBK said, the game worked well in Windows XP...
So, you can guess that this bug is caused by the system. In win7 or higher, there is a game manager that comes with the system. Press the Win button and there is a game option in the sidebar of the Start menu.
[img]

It will automatically collect the game information you played. When you run a game, the system will run rundll32.exe to call a library gameux.dll, which is the case in many old games.
This library will update the game information online. When there is no network or no game information, it will block all the time and the game will not start. This is a bug in the win7 system, I have never used this game manager.
Since win xp does not have the file gameux.dll, this has never happened before.

I found three solutions:
I have provided a batch script Blade-QuickLaunch.bat, which runs ".exe" twice. When the second ".exe" window appears, the script will automatically close the first Blade.exe and rundll32.exe. This is a very effective method.
I have perfected the script and updated it to 1.1.

Rename the gameux.dll file so that it cannot be loaded.

Code: Select all

At C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll
change into

Code: Select all

gameux.dll.bak

Modify the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\
There is an item like "S-1-5-21-284290709..." which contains some custom game information.
Just change the data of a key ConfigInstallType to 4 and the game manager will no longer check and update the game.
Multiple game versions need to modify the key ConfigInstallType in all items.

@echo off

set r=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX
for /f "tokens=2" %%i in ('whoami /user ^| find /i "%username%"') do set "SID=%%i"

for /f %%i in ('reg query %r%\%SID%') do reg add %%i /v ConfigInstallType /t REG_SZ /d 4 /f

pause

Copy the code to a text document and save it as DisableUpdate.bat. Running it will automatically disable the update information feature for all current games.
One defect is that if you add a copy of the game, its ConfigInstallType value defaults to 3, and you need to re-run DisableUpdate.bat once.

These three methods work well now. :) :)

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”