Similar games?

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
Gameguardian
Hatchling

Similar games?

Post by Gameguardian »

Are there any similar games like Drakan out there. I don't have the full spectrum of games for PC in my head, since I mostly play console games. I can't remember any games for consoles except for Dragonheart for PS 1, Eragon for PS 2 and of course, Drakengard 1 and 2 for PS 2.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Do you mean wide open, exploration-heavy games, or sword, sorcery, archery type action games?
Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat is decent... Morrowind:Game of the Year Edition (for Xbox) is a little different, but killer, nonetheless. Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath hack and slash titles are great...
Then there's the GTA games for exploration and wide open awesomeness.
I can't think of any other Dragon games, and I don't know why they aren't there.
I'll let you know if I think of any others.

Nice to meet you, Gameguardian. I play mostly console games, too.
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates is one of my all-time favorite games.

Gameguardian
Hatchling

Post by Gameguardian »

Hey, nice to meet you too =) Always nice to make new friends! Yeah, I've played most of the above-mentioned games, and there are dragons in Baldur's Gate if I remember correctly (both the PC versions and Dark Alliance 1 and 2). Champions of Norrath and Return to Arms are probably among the best multiplayer hack-and-slash adventure games out there.

Ohh, and I almost forgot The Bard's Tale for PS 2, Xbox and PC. That's a great and wonderfully crafted game =)

I just love medieval fantasy games, they have a certain magic and explorative loveliness that other genres generally miss. My favorite genres are;
RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Shadow Hearts, Star Ocean etc.),

Action/Adventure games (Drakan, Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dark Chronicle, Starfox Adventures, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Onimusha etc.),

FPS:s with good stories or great multiplayer modes(Metroid Prime, Red Faction 1 (a classic), Timesplitters etc.),

And of course titles like Beyond Good and Evil, Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos, Castlevania and many more. All great games that deserve gamers attention =)

Anyway, long post =) But it's great to be here and it's great to see that games such as Drakan still live out here on the Net. It's the true love of games that make gamers real gamers.

Have a nice one and I'll be coming round more often now that I've found these forums.

Thanks!

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Wow, you came close to my collection there. I've played nearly every one you mentioned.
Sorry I couldn't give a more specific title to scratch the Drakan itch... but it's a mysterious loner. There aren't many like it. It's a no-brainer of a formula. It could be a winner nearly every time if people would just MAKE them. There's no excuse to make a game that isn't as good as Drakan because it's already the giant upon whose shoulders they could stand. It's the baseline benchmark. Must be a tough call though, because Drakan is Magic... kind of in the same way that the movie "The Princess Bride" is Magic, and likely won't be topped anytime soon. Just a brilliant combination of well-balanced elements.

Gameguardian
Hatchling

Post by Gameguardian »

I couldn't agree with you more, but I sincerely hope that some game company or another do make a new game like Drakan. I played Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King last year, and thought, WOW, this is a free-roaming RPG/Adventure world indeed. And yet I hadn't played Drakan back then, and even though Drakan came out three years before, the world here is at least even, if not in a bigger scope than Dragon Quest VIII.

Anyway, these are both great games and I don't mean to offend any players who love Dragon Quest, but I'm just saying what you were saying. There is no excuse for not making another game like Drakan for today's consoles. The next title that MAY, I repeat, MAY be a good dragon game could be the upcoming LAIR for the Playstation 3, which will be released later this year or in 2008.

And while we're at it, I might add another game with dragons and while it is a grand game, you only hunt dragons in this game - Monster Hunter by Capcom (which makes for an experience that will never be as touching as the bond between dragons and their riders). Good-willed dragons like Arokh, Draco (in Dragonheart the movie) and Saphira will always win over games and movies that only depict dragons as hideous beasts (like Reign of Fire).

So no, upcoming games and movies have a long way to go if they plan on outwitting the sheer beauty and marvel of the Drakan world and atmosphere!

That's my opinion =)

Gameguardian
Hatchling

Post by Gameguardian »

And one more thing before I forget; if you like Drakan you must play the Summoner games. While they have one or two bugs too many, they are both wonderful adventure/RPG/real-time action games with great story and many wonderful moments!

The first Summoner is available for PC and PS 2 and Summoner 2 is out for PS 2 and the somewhat makeover game Summoner 2: A Goddess Reborn is available for the GameCube.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Excellent recommendation! I have both Summoners games.

I share your wait-and-see attitude about LAIR. I hope it's great, tho.

I never got to a Dragon in Monster Hunter. It either didn't hold my interest long enough, or another 'more anticipated' game muscled it aside... I don't remember which 8^)

Erugeboren
Whelp

Post by Erugeboren »

Hey all,
I haven't posted in years, can't believe i remembered my name/password on first try, lol.
But I stopped posting cuz it's too painful for me to wish for another game like TAG and not get one. Sure there are plenty of good games, but none that compare to TAG at giving me the magic feeling.
Drakan is a game that I can only compare to a good book, or possibly to a complete alternate life I remembered while dreaming one night.

What sets it so far apart from any other game I've played is how immersive the game is. Even 4+ years after playing the game, I constantly remember the feeling I got when ever I would just stop and listen to the sound fx in the game and gaze at the scenery. The sound of footsteps walking through the earth convince my mind its left my body and found its true home. The sound of the wind rushing through Arokhs wings is so beautiful it almost makes me cry! I absolutely love this game, (too much obviously) but I can't stop hoping for another game to compare to it. The closest Ive gotten so far is Morrowind, but despite how impressive it is, it seems to lack the special magic Drakan is full of.

Im kicking myself cuz I sold the game a few years back cuz I was low on funds and wanted a new game, and of course I had already played through Drakan too many times to count, and explored every patch of earth and sky in the game 12 times over. But I keep coming back to all the fond memories I acquired spending 18+ hours a day playing it when I first rented it back in the good ol' days. I must buy that game again. I swear Ill play it over and over until my PS2 crumbles into dust, and the acid and oils from my hands corrode the controller away.

Thank you surreal for making such a beautiful game!!

Erugeboren
Whelp

Post by Erugeboren »

hey sorry i got off topic.
The only games I'd have to add are Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. They do wo well at making a magical world you get to explore, with top notch artistic beauty.

elyorch
Hatchling

Post by elyorch »

On the PC there's a game called "The I of the Dragon", maybe you'll like it, it's just about dragons. I haven't tested it, but for sure it won't be as great as glorious Drakan ;)

You can try the demo here:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/iofthedragon/downloads/

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Hi, Erugeboren... I remember you!
As to your points, well said.

Thank you, elyorch, for the link. I may download and play that, but I haven't yet.

A fellow called Zeoc put out a Mod for Drakan:OOTF with a mechanized Arokh.
That was one of the cooler, more inventive mods I remember from the Drakan realms.
THAT would be a decent idea for a dragon-oriented game. Even if it pitted Dragons/Riders against Mech-Dragons instead of just riding the mechs... there's potential.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

I played Eragon (the game of the movie) a few times before the novelty wore off.

But it's inferior to Drakan.

Basically, the problems are mainly with Saphira's integration into the game engine.

1: when Eragon is flying with her, she's stuck to some kind of track. Unlike Arokh, you can't choose where to go (other then up, down, left or right). And she doesn't land.

2: When she does appear apart from Eragon, all she does is fight. You can't do anything with here other then choose targets (sometimes).

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

How are the ground fighting (with Eragon) parts?
How are swords, bows, magics?
Any worth to the game?

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

Eragon's fighting style varies throughout the game, with the addition of Za'roc and special magic powers.

At first, he has an ordinary sword and a bow.

This sword is later replaced by Za'roc, which is more powerful.

Later on, he uses his magic to push or pull objects and enemies.

Then he learns to shoot magic arrows and shoot a stream of flame from his hand.

Other then this, he can direct Saphira to attack specific targets by pointing.