Gameplay choices

Stuck? Need a cheat? Post your hints / tips / spoilers here.
Budgie
Hatchling

Gameplay choices

Post by Budgie »

Just finished Drakan TAG for the first time, and was wondering if anyone out there who's played a couple of times, what their feelings were about how to choose the experience points.
On the first run through I generally selected Melee skills and eventually built that up to 8 at the expense of Archery and Magic.
Anyone played just with (say) Archery as first choice or Magic Skills?

How does the gameplay vary?
More enjoyable?
Just curious to open a discussion......:-) <font face="Verdana"></font id="Verdana">

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I played through mainly as a warrior because I found that the easiest way of defeating my enemies (there's nothing like a good sword!) I maxed out my melee skill at 8 like you and spent my other points on magic. I never bothered with archery skills.

It is possible to play through at melee level 1 provided you find ALL of the elemental blades quite easily. This way you can spend your skills on magic and archery and just use the level 1 skill melee weapons such as the abforementioned blades and the sword you get from defating the skeleton lord in the catacombs. If I remember rightly, the mournblade has level 1 skill but you only get this by selling your elemental blades to the Surdana blacksmith before you enter the point of no return in the desert.

I'm going to try and do this the next time I play the game.

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

I think it works better as an archer instead of a warrior I've played it with each of the different choices and archery worked best for me

hubertdorm
Whelp

Post by hubertdorm »

<font face="Courier New"></font id="Courier New">
Try giving your archery points a seven. You can buy a bow in the desert that does 29 damage, I believe. That is better than the Bow of the Order. I couldn't use it the first time...all my points were in melee.

Snotmaw
Dragon

Post by Snotmaw »

I find using 8 in mlee the best because it is easier when I have to fight but it all depends on what typs of weapons you find most useful.

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

though I really like the archery weapons you still ought to have a decent amount of magic levels because there are some places where you have to use spells to get past certain obstacles

Snotmaw
Dragon

Post by Snotmaw »

Remember that you can always have different skill levels every time you play the game.

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

melee is strong in about the first quarter of the game but then for about the last three quarters melee is somewhat pathetic unless you get the mournblade

Erugeboren
Whelp

Post by Erugeboren »

How does Level 8 Magic look like, i like the Level 3 Fireball, it is very powerful, but what about higher level lightning and ice, i was wondering if any one has focused on magic

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

the fire ball is okay my favorite is the spinning blade spell though it's somewhat gruesome what it does to the enemy