Drakan2PC questions

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
ASSASSIN
Dragon

Drakan2PC questions

Post by ASSASSIN »

Some questions about da game...

1. Do you want trading be implemented in the game? Money for items, it would be.
2. If you want trading, do you want NPC<>player trading or player<>player trading too?
3. Opinions are waited about the combo system. Right now a Diablo2 combo system is in plans - you can predefine the move you will do, and then you can activate it with a key or serie of keys. Is it okay to do it this way?
4. Archers. I know this is rather a minor question, but what would you rather like? Shall the ammo define how will the bow shoot (ie explosive, poisionous, vampiric etc); or let there be one generic arrow "ammo", and the bows will define the damage (like "Bow of Fire" or "vampiric bow" and stuff)?

Replies would be welcomed as this game is made for you, so I would like to hear some voices about it.

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

My thoughts:

1. It's a good idea;
2. NPC<>player and player<>player is cool... but that raised me a question: will D2PC be something like DO:TQ (btw, is it still alive?), or that's part of the multiplayer section?
3. I didn't play Diablo 2, but if it is what I'm thinking, I don't like. Drakan was a 3rd person game, and Diablo wasn't: that camera angle never made my style;
4. Arrows make the effect, not bows, IMO. The only thing a bow can add is perhaps more speed, but the magic is in the arrows. So, the first option is what I'd choose.

BTW: Shouldn't this project deserve a section of its own, like Joaxin's Relic?
Just my two cents :)

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Will see if it deserves it or not. :)

Multiplayer - more Drakan like; however, I *can* make DO:TQ like Multiplayer mode either. Depends if people will need it or not. =) In case you don't want a REAL MMPORG where you can travel in a whole country and do things like building houses, it aint that hard.
DO:TQ is not alive now btw. It has been changed into Exyst, and though this may sound blasphemy I don't know if, how and when is it going to be released... (I can be too pessimist though [:D] )

Combos - I meant:
Drakan:OOTF uses combos in a way that you type something, and get a combo (Here's the name from: key COMBinatiOn). So far, my idea about Drakan2 was that you would have only ONE key to press to launch a combo - however, that combo would be customized by you (what moves does it involve, how long is it, etc). You could have more combos set, though. Will have to look into it, but hopefully the base idea is clearer now.
Diablo2 was only mentioned because it was quite the same there... well, sometimes. :)

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

To tell the truth, I'm used to the D:OOTF gameplay, and the change to the D2PC might be brutal... but hey, I need something to blame when I'm on a bad mood :)

1) Multiplayer: Honestly, I wasn't very fond of the DO:TQ idea... it was something like World Of Warcraft, games only made to play online, thing that I've abolished from some time. So, I'm not the right person to talk about online gaming... but it ain't such a bad idea, now that I think of it.

2) Combos: Hmm, quite frankly I'm not aprehending the idea... but still remaining on Diablo, like clicking with the mouse on the floor to make the character run, click on an enemy to attack, RTS-style... or am I focusing a completely different matter - that's the stuff that I most hated on Diablo - ? I'm still very confused here...

I had a question to make, but was able to forget what it was. Darn.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Forget Diablo then :) It's nothing that way. What I meant is you will have the normal attack of weapons, and an alternate attack - this will replace the Drakan combos. You can have as many combos as you want, and you can define them yourself (ie what steps will it contain, what should it do, etc). But not much Drakan:OOTF style "typingmadness"... this way, at least. =)

D2PC can have the same style of playing like D:OOTF had, as changes can be rewerted to OOTF like. After release, I might make a multiplayer mode for it where you can play in OOTF gameplay - no skills, no classes, no stamine just OOTF style hack-n-slash. :)
IF I make DO:TQ liek multiplayer too in, it won't be too much World of Warcraft like I think - you can battle NPCs and have your life there, but it will basically a singleplayer game without an end and with other players (the server will save your char when you quit, and when you join it will load it back).

And good luck calling back that question =)

Dragon Jak
Hatchling

Post by Dragon Jak »

Howdie Arokhs lair peoples ;) (my first post here)

Hey Assassin,

I like your ideas a lot. I think maybe you should drop the diablo
comparason since it seems to be confusing people ;)

Just say, Drakan Style Combat, now with enhanced "one click" "you pick" combos. sounds cool no? [:D]

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Well, I thought it would not create but reduce confusion but indeed I will drop it now =) lol

heyas btw =)

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Blast, that one was lost forever.

OK, the idea is something about clearer now, and it might be a good idea to do it. As for the MP, well... I'm not planning to use it a lot, at least not at first. I said the same about Unreal Tournament, and I ended up joining a clan. But that idea of the character sounds interesting...

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Hehe =) okies.

Well, I don't know to what level will I let singleplayer be gameside customized; I'd rather like the maps determine the singleplayer games' styles, but I will have to look deeper into that.

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Hmm, I didn't quite get that one. I'm kinda tired today, and upset, and my brain ain't working right. [:(]

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Aaw, what's wrong?

What that meant basically, is that I'd like to make the maps in single and multiplayer be customizable, so they can be suited to the needs of the players. :) I wonder to what level can I make it, though. :S

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Late lunch, with a ton of roasted chicken and an even bigger beer, got me down the whole day. Couldn't make it to a football game I wanted to go. An arrangement for my weekend is looking even more depressing. That kind of stuff. Argh.

Oh, I think I'm beginning to understand it... but perhaps that would be something for the latter stages of the development...? Because I think that's one of the things that could wait until the project in running smoothly. But, of course, it would be neat to have a kind of editor, make maps - that's gonna be done, right? - , edit the main levels... My thought.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Actually, customizability options are being built into the game on nearly every level. :) I think it's better to make it run customizable already - it might look more horrible to me at this point, but will spare me the time I'd need to rewrite the whole thing again after to make it the same customizable. :)

Editor - there will be. :) For sure. Don't worry about that. :)

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

lol
I'm not worried about it. If editing/creating maps it's like doing it like Unreal Tournament of D:OOTF, I'll just leave it alone. That's waaaaaay too hard for me, and I already have to think on my university projects - Assembly, and stuff =f.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Well, depends how you mean it. It will be a mix of the two... but not as complex as UT I believe, as Quake2 (and hence Drakan2) has no "built-in C" language, which UT had. :) And I will try to make all stuff user friendly as well... Hope you understand it's not the main point at this level of completeness, but later it will be becoming more and more important.