will Surreal ever make another Drakan?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Navaros
Whelp

will Surreal ever make another Drakan?

Post by Navaros »

they seem to be doing ok seeing as they made "The Suffering" which is a pretty popular console game

so i'm wondering if they're ever gonna make a new Drakan or not. not that i'd play it unless it's for the PC and has Arokh drawn PROPERLY like in OOTF (the TAG Arokh looked like a babyish POS out of Tele-tubbies or something [:(]). i'm just asking cuz i'm curious. [:D]

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Likely not...
Midway just bought Surreal, tho, so we should e-mail them like crazy to show support for the idea. I mean- if $ony and Surreal aren't interested... maybe the guys and gals over at Midway are!

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

If for the PC: Image
If not: Image

[;)]

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

LOL!!! Well...um... shown :D

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Outlaw Wyvern</i>

Likely not...
Midway just bought Surreal, tho, so we should e-mail them like crazy to show support for the idea. I mean- if $ony and Surreal aren't interested... maybe the guys and gals over at Midway are!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Really? That means definitley no more Drakan games then. I thought Midway just owned the rights to Surreal's game, 'The Suffering' and Surreal remains an independent developer.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

As independent as it was with SONY, AT.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ASSASSIN</i>

As independent as it was with SONY, AT.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well, yeah. I meant they are not owned by a software publisher like Rare are for example; they were a Nintendo developer who got bought by Microsoft to make exclusive Microsoft Xbox games.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Well, most publishers DO try to make companies make the games they want to. So did happen to Surreal + SONY -> only PS2 Drakan. Happens. :)

Navaros
Whelp

Post by Navaros »

i know for a fact that Sony owns all the IP rights to Drakan so Surreal would not be "allowed" to make a new Drakan game unless Sony says they can.

and Sony could even screw Surreal over and give a new Drakan game to another developer to make; like Eidos screwed over the creators of the Tomb Raider games by giving the next one to a new dev.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Well, I just had a look at Surreal's site and yes, they have been bought out by Midway. This means that Surreal definitley won't be making a Drakan 3 unless Midway buys the rights back from Sony which is extremley unlikley. The only other way is for Sony to get another developer to make Drakan 3 for them which again is extremley unlikley as the game flopped big time. Its no longer in production and won't even get a budget release so I doubt Sony would invest money into the Drakan franchise.

I also noticed on Surreal's site that all the Order of the Flame stuff has gone and most of the Ancient Gates stuff such as desktops etc have been deleted.
This is a shame because I would have really liked to see a Drakan 3 even if its in a few years. Seeing it on the Playstation 3 would be awesome.

I'm gonna try Drakengard as it came out yesterday but from what I have heard, it does not come close to the Drakan series.

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

A-ha... so, they want to kill Drakan... the fools...
... we won't let them.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

AT, I would rather not like to see Drakan3 on Playstation3. I would prolly go mad.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Lol, yeah. <i>If</i> (yeah right) Surreal did make a Drakan 3 it would be almost certainly for a Sony console unless some miracle happened.
However, now that Surreal have been bought out there is no chance of the game being made for any platform. Looks like Drakan 3 might be down to you to make Assassin...

Keep us posted on your PC Drakan2 project.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Uhoh, going rather nice... and slow lol. I dithced Quake2 (tho kept the files if I would feel like changing my mind - unlikely tho), and jumped to Ogre3D as engine ( http://www.ogre3d.org ). I would be happily making the game and stuff if my exams didn't kick in. :/ Uni ya know...

And assi going to prague today as well ^_^

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

OGRE is a very interesting looking engine. The effects are what's wanted, yes!

But thinking again, Why not make a development team, for your game, and produce it. If you are making a new game, then why not! You will have the experience etc that comes with releasing a game, even to patent it to some degree. Sure make it similar to drakan, but stop there, dont let sony have infringment rights. Ohh still have dragons if possible, to ride etc, but using new engine etc. maybe from start, decide to produce it within the next year or two.