Crashes - Win2k / AMD

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Faerith
Dragon

Crashes - Win2k / AMD

Post by Faerith »

Seeing the notice about windows 2000 and AMD processors being buggy with drakan, I just wanted to start a post to see if any owners of Win 2000 or XP got multiplayer crashes to desktop / other crashes that cause drakan to be somewhat unplayable in certain areas.

I'd just want to post a bit about my computers here
- since I had an itel pentium 4 with radeon (win2k) that ran drakan fine. I now have 2 AMD computers, they all run win2k.

-Sepron64 2800+ 1.6ghz
1gb DDR 400
Geforce4 440MX
VIA chipset
-- this computer run single player fine, but crashes to desktop after a minute of multiplayer.

--Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2ghz duel core
1gb DDR2 800
IGP (chipset graphics) Geforce 6100
Nvidia Nforce 430 chipset
-- This computer runs single and multiplayer fine, however in developer mode, selecting a different skill level causes a crash to desktop

+Drakan is patched with the 445 version, win2k is service pack 4

If anyone else has strange crashes with AMD computers, or has drakan running flawlessly, post your findings and comp specs here.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I used to have a AMD Duron 1.3Ghz running 2K SP4 and an ATI Radeon 7000. As in your case, single player worked fine but I got frequent crashing to desktop in multiplayer. I never managed to fully resolve the issue but it was greatly improved by adjusting my router's firewall settings and opening ports 27045,27046 and 27900 both TCP and UDP.

The game works fine on my new machine however with is a 3.4Ghz P4, XP SP2 and a Geforce 7600GT AGP

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

I didn't know you guys spoke Greek!

Honestly... I feel like an old man while reading that because you two are so ahead of me.
I'm not very computer-literate, so with regards to the level of techtalk you just posted... I'm wondering if all that is actually simpler than I imagine.
Sorry that this is, if not off-topic, then at least in no way helpful... but I did want to make the comment.

This is a great example of what I meant:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arokhs Twin</i>

I never managed to fully resolve the issue but it was greatly improved by adjusting my router's firewall settings and opening ports 27045,27046 and 27900 both TCP and UDP.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I don't mean to sound like a rube, but that just whooshes right over my head.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

hehe, at Outlaw!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

LOL, you have to know basic networking to understand that. I juat assume people know about these things but it will be a lot harder to explain it step by step unless I know exactly what Internet connection and router he has. The ports I mentioned are the TCP/IP ports Drakan uses to communicate with a server and these need bypassing on any firewall otherwise the game will not work on multiplayer.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

I notice the game works fine on my computer that is hooked up to the internet.. both computers run ZoneAlarm.. It's just a guess but perhaps something is not sending over the network to the client computer. The client will work on the internet perfectly and I know it works for other games over the network too, just not drakan

Another thing i've noticed, is that you join in on a multiplayer game on the client and it will run for approximatly 30 seconds give or take, however it gives a ping reading of 0, afterwards the debug says 'lost UDP connections to server' UDP issues for drakan over a network perhaps?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I remember having this problem years ago but I can't remember how I resolved it however it was definitley firewall on my router related.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

hmm.. well perhaps it's just the operating system. I noticed sometimes thatit can't obtain information from the server computer about the internet (DNS/DHCP) it's only happened on win2k / win2k computers.. I'm on dialup but i'm betting that it's only the bad network condition that's doing it, not the internet speed.