Arokh cant breathe fire in 445 patch?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
sparker599
Hatchling

Arokh cant breathe fire in 445 patch?

Post by sparker599 »

I just installed the 445 patch(downloaded it, unzipped, ran the SETUP.EXE file) for the Drakan on the PC and now Arokh can't breathe fire! [:(!] the gold thing in the bottom right just stays empty all the time. Is this supposed to happen? did i install it wrong? Has anyone else had this problem?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi,
It's not supposed to happen. The only thing I can suggest at the moment is backup your saves, uninstall and re-install the game and then re-patch it. Sounds like some of the game files have become corrupt.

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

I just reinstalled it and did the patch again and he still doesnt breathe any fire. Should i just reinstall it again without the patch? I'm not interested in multiplayer and there isn't much new stuff in single player, anyway.

EDIT: Is it possible to play the rest of the game without Arokh breathing any fire? Or should I just use the 442 patch instead of 445 ?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Are other breath weapons OK? There is definitley a problem with your copy of the game, its not normal for that to happen. However, you can continue to play the game without fire though one part of the volcano level may be difficult without it.

Best thing to do is play the game without patching it and then install the patch so you can play add on levels.

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

How do i try out other breath weapons? i haven't got that far in the game yet, but i do know how to use the level select thing in developer mode, which may help me to get to a part where i can try out other breath weapons.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I'm curious as to why your breath does not work. I seem to remember this once before, cant place it though!

What is your pc made out of? OS video card etc!

Is this a valid copy of Drakan, The original cd is over 700 mb in size. Some knockoffs are around and are only about half this size.

You might want to try the Drakan Gold Pack, if your files are corupt.

The problem with playing through single player mode, is that eventually the allwarren bug is going to hit you, along with lots more that the 444, 443, and the 445 patch corrected.

When you did a re-install, did you go into explorer and delete the drakan folder, for sure before installing again?[8D]

I like a good challange![;)]

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

My pc is 2.4GHz single-core, Windows XP, 256 MB graphics card, 1Gb of ram.

But i think my problem is the copy of the game (it's not valid, only 428 megabytes). I'll just get another copy, the gold pack if i can. BTW, what extra stuff is in the gold pack?

I was wondering if that allwarren thing was going to cause problems for me. Now i know it will if i don't get the patch. Thanks.

Yes, i did delete the drakan folder(actually, i deleted the psygnosis folder, too) every time i did a re-install.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

check out my website for the Gold Pack, and whats installed with it!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

There's your problem then. If it's only 428Mb then you have a pirated version. Go and buy a geniune copy if you can; there are plenty on ebay.

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

Arokh still can't breathe fire. What I'm doing is starting the game in developer mode to start on the Grimstone Mines(that's where I was when I wanted to switch to the 445 patch, and you can't use original saves with the 445 patch) and then use cheats to get my stuff back. Could using dev mode in single player levels have something to do with fire breathing? I just tried multiplayer levels and found out that fire breathing does work in those ones, and other breath weapons(at least the electricity one) do also.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

LOL! I just tried to start The Grimstone Mines from developer mode and guess what. My Arokh's breath was gone too! And that is always happening, in every level. So here's what I think. At the start of a level Rynn doesn't have any weapons at all, so why should Arokh have. Are there any cheats to give Arokh his breaths? If you want to start in Grimstone Mines then don't forget to give him also poison breath.
Well, in the last resort, I can give you my Grimstone Mines too hard save if you want.

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

does anyone else have a save at the grimstone mines? I could use a save from before that, too, then get to the grimstone mines. Or I could even use a save from a bit later and just use a walkthrough to find out what happened. Is it possible to change the difficulty(easy, medium, hard, too hard) of a saved game? if not, i prefer that it's on easy mode, as I'm not really good at this game. Sometimes I have to use cheats just to get by on easy. I'm just not too good with these controls, so maybe that's why.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Hey, sparker599, just use <b>Gimme Fire</b> and <b>Gimme Poison</b> cheats. That would be the end of your problems...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yes, you only get fire when you meet with Arokh. Starting an individual level in developer mode always starts with no weapons for either character. I assumed you were starting a new game and he couldn't breathe fire when you eventually got to Arokh or it was working till you applied the 445 patch.
The console command "gimme fire" without the quotes will force the game to give you the flame breath weapon.

To change the difficulty, you can edit the drakan.cfg file and change the value SetDifficulty to 0,1 or 2 with 0 being the easiest.

sparker599
Hatchling

Post by sparker599 »

And I assume that 3 is "too hard" difficulty?