Drakan patch - if your game crashes on GeForce

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AXE</i>

Sad to say but your academia is going to consume you and your project. We have seen it occur a few times. Wish you best of luck with all your endeavours, and if you do make it, we will all play it!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hah! My university didn't only not consumed my project, but even openly support me in my endeavours. Today I had talked to my programming instructor and he proposed to help me with work on my project! I was suprised as never before had I seen such dedication from someone who has been teaching me, to helping me out with my work. But as this instructor said, there is nothing more that he can teach me as I have knowledge much beyond ordinary student of first year (in example I wrote my own small OS few years ago). We will begin our cooperation probably by writing application for online role-playing sessions (ever played D&D?). It will be something like Fantasy Grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com) but will be completely free instead. I'll make every attempt to start dragon online game as our next project. I had plans for free dragonriding MMO with strong accent for role-playing (with heavy use of Game Masters) but also intense battles. I'll keep you updated.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Well, this sounds really damn cool, but, hmm, too unbelievable. Are you going to write this game from scratch all by yourself? Or maybe you're going to use that C4 engine, or maybe you'll work in a team. I just can't imagine someone to write a 3D game by himself in a short time period. But, well, it seems that you really have got a great potential, so who knows. BTW, is your main subject in the university game development? Just curious...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shelim</i>

PCSX2 can emulate Drakan2 successfully from very beginning to end (with proper settings of renderer). On my machine it has steady speed of 24 - 26 fps. Unfortunately sounds are synchronized to 50 fps and are very choppy. Nevertheless if you have dual core processor and GeForce 8+ you could give it a try.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Bit late for this reply but I thought I'd let others know. I have finally got round to trying this & I managed to get Drakan: TAG working on my PC and PCSX2 emulates it well. My PC is too slow though - I experimented with the renderer settings etc and could only get 9-25fps on a P4 3.4Ghz with a AGP Geforce 7600GT graphics card.
When I finally get a new PC with a quad core CPU Ill give it another try...

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eris</i>

Well, this sounds really damn cool, but, hmm, too unbelievable. Are you going to write this game from scratch all by yourself?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not by myself. I'am going to start this as university project with full cooperation of other students who will want participle and our programming instructor (who already said that I may count him in).<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eris</i>Or maybe you're going to use that C4 engine, or maybe you'll work in a team. I just can't imagine someone to write a 3D game by himself in a short time period.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I do not yet known which tool we will use, but we won't write everything from scratch. Just too much work. Instead we will buy educational license for some 3D engine. And definitly not "short time period". I anticipate that project will take at least 2, 3 years. But I am not afraid, as I've worked before on very long project (Polish MMO which I started in 2004 and is updated on regular schedule)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eris</i>BTW, is your main subject in the university game development? Just curious...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hehe, you guessed it. Exactly subject is "Graphical programming and game developing". I've long searched for such degree in Poland

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shelim</i>
I anticipate that project will take at least 2, 3 years. But I am not afraid, as I've worked before on very long project (Polish MMO which I started in 2004 and is updated on regular schedule)
Oh, that means we'll have to wait 2-3 years until you start the dragon game, well, maybe by that time I'll learn some DirectX too and will be able to help you...

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

And here comes the good news!

BUGAGA!!!
GeForce 7600 GS graphics card,
Pentium D 3.00GHz CPU,
PCSX2 PlayGround emulator with all the hacks enabled,
640x480 resolution
and you get a nice 25-40 fps rate! Really suitable for playing [;)]
[:D][:)][:p] I'm so happy!!! WOOHOOO

I finally found out what Outlaw's signature meant lol

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

^

"I finally found out what Outlaw's signature meant lol"

Excellent!

I haven't had any luck finding an emulator for Macs. If anyone comes across a link for something useable, please let me know.

ERIS... I've longed for a particular screenshot from Drakan:TAG for many years. If you're able, take a screenshot of Toadfist, the boss in Shadowmire. The scene I want is after he speaks, there's a close-up shot of him that pauses for just a second...
If you're able on a future playthrough, maybe you could try to screencap it?
Only if it's no trouble.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Also Bonegrinder, Flesh Mage, and the full-color Jasaad from the next to last battle...

I've wanted stills of so many D:TAG moments, I hope I succeed in finding a PS2 emulator for Mac.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

As far as I know there is no such thing as emulator for MAC. I've read PCSX2 source code and I found that it contains multiply assembly parts, which translating to MACs will be pain in the neck (Assembly is totally non-portable, so basically you'll have to rewrite everything from scratch)

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Outlaw Wyvern</i>

Also Bonegrinder, Flesh Mage, and the full-color Jasaad from the next to last battle...
Sure. I'll try to capture all the main characters. I'll show you the screenies as soon as I finish playing. Also I'll try to backup the saves in case you don't like the pics to make new ones....