Server Connecting Problem

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Eris
Dragon

Server Connecting Problem

Post by Eris »

Ok, so here's problem. I connect to a server through gamespy and everything goes ok for about 30s but then I get kicked. During this 30 seconds the ping stays very high. Though the scoreboard always says the ping is 0 but everything that I pick up reaches the inventory almost at once. Disabling antivirus and turning off firewall doesn't help.
Could this be caused by closed ports on my provider's side? If he's using proxies.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Could be but its doubtful ISP's close ports for gaming unless you are on a basic limited service. I had this problem which went away after I had configured my router's firewall correctly.

This topic may help:-
http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2685
Note the screenshot of my router's special applications page as this has a working port configuration for playing the game online. The other screenshot is mainly for running a dedicated server.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Yes, thank you, it was my router indeed. And when I connected directly, without using router I was able to play. But unfortunately when I tried the same thing after 2 days the problem was still there. Which means the problem was both in router and in ISP. Let's see if guys from ISP's customer service pick up the phone sometimes : ).

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Disabling the router's firewall is not generally a good idea due to the security risk. As long as the ports used by Drakan are open in the router's firewall you should be OK.

Your ISP should not be blocking these ports unless you have a very basic connection that is severeley limited i.e basic access just for web/email. Some British ISP's have such services for about £5 a month which prevent you from using high bandwidth applications e.g games. Don't know if this is a similar policy elsewhere.

Try checking to see if your ports are open on online sites such as Shields up! at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Using the example above, if a port shows a status of 'stealth' it is being blocked by a firewall somewhere. A status of 'closed' means the port is not blocked but showing as closed because the application that is using it i.e Drakan is not running. A status of 'open' should show if Drakan is running and the port is not being blocked. The ports you need to check are 27045, 27046 & possibly 27900 if you are running a drakan server.

Note that a fail <i>is</i> exactly what you want (on Drakan specific ports only, all other ports should pass) as the site link I gave tests your security. The fail is indicating a port is open and hence a program can get through which is exactly what you want.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Hi. Sorry for answering so late. I'm still having this trouble with connecting. I tried every kind of configuration on my router but nothing helps. I've checked the link you gave AT and it always says that 27045, 27046 and 27900 ports are closed. BTW, it doesn't matter if the game's running or not. And I get the same result when I connect both through router and without it.
When I first time passed this test it gave me the status of stealth, but it changed to closed after my ISP gave me a stable IP. Before that the packets were going through 5 different IPs and my global IP was changing every second (strange stuff, I've never met such connections before). That was probably causing the problem.
And now I can play freely when I connect without router, and get kicked when it's on.
My current router configuration is the one that I found on Axe's site (I've got a D-Link router too) but that doesn't help either.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Wow! That definately covers the ranges of ports, yet it is still a problem. You can always use the dmz zone, but that disables the hardware firewall. Hmmmm!

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Maybe something's wrong in this part:

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Try disabling the filters and leave the special applications & virtual servers pages as-is. You seem to have it set up correctly but it has to be the router that is causing the problem. I think it's going to be a matter of experimenting with settings.

You could also try updating the router's firmware as I once had a D-link dsl-504 and a firmware update cured a lot of problems and made the firewall configuration a lot easier. However still I remember getting disconnected from servers quite often during busy times but it wasn't as bad as before the update. My D-link router eventually died and I changed to a 3Com. Since then I have not had any problems.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

It is the Firewall settings, First make it for an IP range, 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.199 ; Then make the Protocol for * which is "all" ; The the important change- make the PORT RANGE 27000-27999.

Hope this works!