Multiplayer issues

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Faerith
Dragon

Multiplayer issues

Post by Faerith »

Time for another mechanical meltdown thread, hopefully we'll be able to share some awnsers.

For a time i've been noticing how my drakan game will not work over my network computer.. now, it says that, sometimes there is an error connecting, that a Firewall may be interrupting joining.. It will not connect even when said firewall is off.. in that case you just restart drakan and it's fine..

But my main issue here is connecting to servers.. after 30 seconds to 1 minute it says 'connection lost to server' this both using gamespy and without.. It does not give me any ping reading at that point either.

Anyone got some ideas?

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

I had exactly the same problem because of my router. Check this threads if you have a router at home:
http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2685
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2728

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

I have a wired router - There isn't realy any settings or software that I got with it to manipulate the ports..

If it helps I run Zone alarm on my systems.. would that screw up anything.. if so, whats a beter firewall?

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

What's the brand of your router? Usually the software is installed on the router itself. Without software the router will become more like a simple switch...

Have you tried to connect with Zone Alarm disabled?

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

I shut down both zone alarms. it doesn't make a difference really.

it works on the computer directly connected to the internet, and i can join for 30 seconds on my networked comps before they kick out.. And it is some cnet router, probably a bad idea to haveit but meh :P

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

I checked the CNet routers and nearly all of them had this "Web-based GUI Configuration / Management" line in the specification. And the ones that didn't have had some kind of filtering features, so there has to be some place where you could adjust the configuration. So, do you know the IP of your router? If not, check your internal IP with the ipconfig command in the command prompt and if it's something like 192.168.0.63 then your router's IP will probably be smt like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2. Same goes to 10.0.1.123 kind IPs, the router will be 10.0.1.1 or 10.0.1.2 etc.
Write the IP in the address bar of your browser (e.g. http://192.168.0.1) and the page that will ask a password from you will be your router's page. Hope you know the password hehe...
Anyway, what's the concrete model of your router?

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=NW05100*oops* not technically a router. just a network switch

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

emmm, I'm out of ideas... : (

The_Dragon_Lord
Whelp

Post by The_Dragon_Lord »

This may sound like a stupid question but since you did not mention it did you install the 445 patch? if not it could be as simple as that

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

I allways install it :)
Drakan works fine on my server, again.. so i'm thinging it absolutly has to be something to do with the network..

The_Dragon_Lord
Whelp

Post by The_Dragon_Lord »

its good to here you have yours working i cant get mine to work properly. There is something wrong with the dragon.rfl that is conflicting with vista ill get it some day though. Its good to hear yours if fixed

TDL

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

you could allways download an older OS..

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Listen, Faerith, maybe you've got smt wrong in this part of your config:

set ServerQueryPort "27046"
set ServerGamePort "27045"
set Client_GamePort "27910"
set Client_QueryPort "0"
set EnableAlternatePortSelection "1"
set NumAlternatePortSelections "20"

I'm not sure about this AlternatePortSelection thing, but AFAIK it is needed when you've got more than one computers at home. You can check out the readme of the 445 patch...

And there's also one thing. I remember having problems because of my provider, is your server connecting from the same provider as the other computers?

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

all mycomputers use the same gateway.. I discovered that the ports 27045/6 will not open on myclient computers though.. which i have litle to no idea why..

But i'll try your awnser above and see if it works

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Windows have built-in firewall, accessible from control panel. Be sure to disable it, or create exception for Drakan.