Win 7 testing

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Faerith
Dragon

Win 7 testing

Post by Faerith »

It came up in a conversation, weither or not drakan will work in windows 7. Is anyone going to try it?

I started to download it.. but it's going to take me about 3 mounths I think.. yay dialup :D

So I'll let everyone know how it goes sometime in the near future!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

We are shortly getting a developer's preview copy at work so we will be testing it when it arrives. I will see if I can test Drakan on it.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

That's convenient!

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

good stuff! unfortunatly for me i'm only getting 100mb per night

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

The good news is that it runs on windows 7!

now for the bad notes: (my computer issues)
-Frame rate is much slower by about half 60 down to 30
-Fullscreen flicker: it leads up.. i got a mouse pointer pinned in the image, otherwise if that doesn't happen it will flicker in fullscreen mode with a black window box frequently, it can be disruptive.
***(note, this seems to be resolved if you start drakan on the desktop only (windows are open but not shown on screen)
-Crashes if you attempt to get out of the game to windows via ctrl alt del, doesn't alt tab into windows (xp onward x.x)
-Crashed once in alwarren (too much going on possably?)

These are just a few tests. i'll keep trying.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

Well. It runs flawlessly now.
-make sure task manager is not running to prevent window flashes
-use Win98/2k compy mode to fix random crashing

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

And what about other common crashes? The intro cutscene crash?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Thanks for the update. I haven't tried it yet on Windows 7 as we still haven't got our beta copy from Microsoft.

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

No cutscene crashes here, no alwarren crash at all.. it runs smoothy, just when you try ctrl alt delete out of the game to desktop it crashes like ruddy nora.
so remember to quicksave!
I had issues playing it on 1024x786 so i downgraded the res to 8x6, no more in game crashes (this computer is outdated by 2 cpu generations now)

This is an AMD + Geforce 5500fx, i'm sure if it runs on this that it won't have too many issues with other computers. Hoorah for pre-good news!

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

@Faerith - never ever initial cutscene crashed on Geforce 5500fx card. This bug happen only on 6600 and newer cards. I suspect that it is because of some method of old DirectX which Surreal used to copy frame from frame buffer which is no longer supported on modern architecture (or, more precisely, modern drivers).*

So, you did not provide answer whether or not cutscene will crash :)

* - a bit of technical info: Everytime when Surreal programmers used that techinque of bitblting frame in memory, they should check the return value of function to test if it's null. And they do it, so the game runs smoothly and don't crash everytime when someone change menus. *But* they forgot to do this once... in leaving the "difficulty choose" menu. When you select any difficulty, game will crash. But the game will crash also when you hit escape in that menu. So really, this is not a cutscene error, as it is commonly named ;)

Faerith
Dragon

Post by Faerith »

that's weird.. i don't think the cutscene crash ever occured on my xfx geforce 8600GT

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Works flawlessley on my copy as well even with a Geforce 7600GT graphics card. Developer mode has to be enabled but other than that seems fine. I didn't try multiplayer as there was no-one online at the time.

System specs P4 3.4Ghz HT, 2GB RAM, Soundblaster live and AGP Geforce 7600GT 256Mb. Win 7 ultimate release candidate. Using standard drivers shipped with Windows 7. Have to say Windows 7 is much better than Windows Vista. It's quick even on my 5 year old PC and it works! Unlike Vista; click... lag.. crash. Reboot. Click... lag. Click... lag.. Crash. Go back to Win XP.

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arokhs Twin</i>

Works flawlessley on my copy as well even with a Geforce 7600GT graphics card. Developer mode has to be enabled but other than that seems fine. I didn't try multiplayer as there was no-one online at the time.

System specs P4 3.4Ghz HT, 2GB RAM, Soundblaster live and AGP Geforce 7600GT 256Mb. Win 7 ultimate release candidate. Using standard drivers shipped with Windows 7. Have to say Windows 7 is much better than Windows Vista. It's quick even on my 5 year old PC and it works! Unlike Vista; click... lag.. crash. Reboot. Click... lag. Click... lag.. Crash. Go back to Win XP.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno ;)

Got a message from Dragon_Spyro that he's trying out Drakan TAG on Win7 and it runs with 50 FPS o__O Way better than XP, says he[8D] I'm jealous...

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bregolas</i>

Got a message from Dragon_Spyro that he's trying out Drakan TAG on Win7 and it runs with 50 FPS o__O Way better than XP, says he[8D] I'm jealous...

Please post any updates you get related to this, and any other details... if you are interested in posting them.
Thanks.

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Outlaw Wyvern</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bregolas</i>

Please post any updates you get related to this, and any other details... if you are interested in posting them.
Thanks.

Here you go, here're the details I got from Dragon_Spyro. He's been using a usual pcsx2 emulator with latest plugins and he's got a fairly good PC (Core i7 with 6 GB RAM, GeForce gtx 285 with 1 GB RAM). He suggests it's because of his hardware that the game works so good, but he even had to limit FPS, the performance being so high. He's been using Win7 ever since he's got his new PC so I've no idea how the game would look like under WinXP... But had I such a machine, I would try playing TAG again!

There's also one tip on that I learned from Eris, as instead of Pcsx2 0.9.x which I used she used Pcsx2 Playground. Eris told me this version of Pcsx is better for TAG but I've never tested it as it doesn't work for me for some reason... Hope that helps!:)