Game Crashes during a cutscene

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Kouya

Game Crashes during a cutscene

Post by Kouya »

Hello there, i just dug out Drakan Order of the flame.

I got it patched and running until the point where you put the book from the dead priest's house on its socket in the... "cathedral"?, well, during the cutscene that then occurrs, im getting either a freeze or it just crashes.

If anyone knows a solution for this, id really appreciate the help!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Game Crashes during a cutscene

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi what are your system specs and do you have A3D turned off in the audio options?
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Kouya

Post by Kouya »

System Specs would be:

Windows 8 64bit
AMD Phenom 1090T x6 core cpu
Geforce GTX 460 SE
8 Gb RAM

A3D is off

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Specs are similar to mine except for I'm not using windows 8; I'm on Windows 7. Never used windows 8 but it may have backwards compatibility tabs like previous operating systems. As far as I know Drakan does work in Windows 8 but only one person has confirmed it working.

If the game is patched and A3D and EAX are off then it should just work. Does windows 8 give you any hints in the event log?

Kouya

Post by Kouya »

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2013-07-11T10:21:23.000000000Z

EventRecordID 3216

Channel Application

Computer Jan_at_work

Security

- EventData

Drakan.exe
38979d2d
Dragon.rfl
389f846e
c0000005
0001b665
01ce7e201051bddd
C:\Games\Drakan\Drakan.exe
C:\Games\Drakan\Dragon.rfl
a2914cb9-ea13-11e2-be83-6cf049e75be3

Thats what i get in the details, im sorry if thats not what you asked for, ive never used the event logs
The freeze/crash occurs right at the end of the cutscene when its starting to load whats coming next, it gets about a third of the loading bar done and then either freezes or crashes.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hmm, having never seen a Win8 crash log I don't know if that's complete or not. It indicates the file that is causing the crash but does not give anything else useful.

I don't know what to suggest other than a re-install of Drakan & try compatibility by right clicking on drakan.exe and selecting the compatibility tab and try the options there. Drakan is a buggy game at best; it can be a pain getting it to work on newer systems.

You could try the 10th anniversary patch (I'm assuming you just have it patched with the retail 445 patch) - this fixed lots of problems for me. The only drawback is you can't play on certain multiplayer servers. If you are just going to play single player only though it won't be an issue.

Kouya

Post by Kouya »

Thanks a lot for your help so far. Ive never heard of the 10th anniversary mod... but since ill only play the single player again, the multiplayer problems wont bug me.

Ill come back here if that fixes the issues i have, thanks again! And also thanks for maintaining this site!

Kouya

Post by Kouya »

And back...

The mod didnt fix the crash issue at the end of the cutscene but i took care of that problem...
My new problem, however, consists of missing Water textures... wouldnt have bugged me too much... but Arokh also has missing textures which makes me fly around with a pair of wings and some teeth... everyhing else isnt visible.
This occured after i tried to completely reinstall the game with the patches and the mod.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I played with all the enhanced graphics options in the 10th anniversary mod turned off and it fixed all the crashes. Graphics look same as retail version although I have an AMD Radeon HD4890.

Sounds to me like the game does not like your card but exactly what I don't know. How did you fix the custscene crash?

Kouya

Post by Kouya »

I used the cheats "floy" and "drop" to get rhynn past the point where the cutscene takes part.
Though, it was a lil tricky since you get pushed back up to a point where you are falling down into the dungeon, which means that you also have to be invulnerable. But that helped me, though, its not really a fix.

Well, funny thing is that i only have missing textures when im playing with the anniversary mod applied.
The standard game is fine. I think ill just play it without the mod then.