playstation vs windows

Discuss anything that is not related to Drakan and Blade of Darkness here.

Moderators: Arokhs Twin, yangez93

bodfan
Dragon

playstation vs windows

Postby bodfan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 am

I am using an old Dell optiplex 733mhz to play some good older games. Since I begin playing games just recently so I still have lots of good games to play. Eventually I like to get to some newer games and I am thinking about different options:

1. modern computers: probably not cheap.

2. PS3: a lot cheaper.

3. XBox: I know nothing about it except it is also produced by MS.

4. Nitendo: I think it is going down.

At the moment, playstation seems like the best choice. What is your opinions? [8D]

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:17 am

I personally have a 4 year old 3.4Ghz P4 PC which I upgraded with the best AGP video card I could find (AGP is now obsolete) and it struggles on the latest games. With owning a PS3 and I don't have as much time to play games as I used to, I tend to use that for gaming. Only certain games I will buy (if they work) and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

First Person shooters / RPG's are best on the PC but some games e.g Oblivion work very well on the PS3 as well as PC. I always like to try demos first and buy the game according to whether I prefer to play it on the PC or PS3.

I have an excellent PC game 'Dark Messiah of Might and Magic' but it does not run well on my PC unless the graphics are turned to minimum and even then it crashes regularly. I looks like crap in 640x480 low res textures etc which is a shame as it looks great on high res on another system. It have tried everything to make it work to no avail - this is where PC games have a disadvantage; if you buy a PS3 game, its guaranteed to work...

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Can I play PS2's games with ps3?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:14 am

Depends which model. The older USA / Jap models have around 90% PS2 game compatibility and the older euro ones have around 50% compatibility (with the latest firmware) however the new ones do not have any PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

The new euro ones with no PS2 compatibility can be identified by only having a 40GB HDD, 2 USB ports and no card reader slots. The older models are discontinued in Europe, however I don't know about the USA models.

Sony is rumoured to be re-introducing the 'older' model with PS2 compatibility later this year with an 80Gb HDD for Europe and a 120Gb HDD for the USA.

Claxon
Whelp

Postby Claxon » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:19 pm

I doubt the upgraded ps3 will be cheaper to buy than getting both a standard ps3 & a separate ps2 (and with an actual PS2 you don't have to suffer an emulated version).

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Drakan: TAG seems OK with the latest firmware on the PS3 but I haven't played it extensively to see if there are any problems. It crashed continuously with version 2.00 of the firmware and didn't work at all with versions 1.xx.

It probably will be cheaper to buy both consoles but I wanted something that could do both in a single box that can live under the TV.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:58 pm

I checked PS2 games at amazon.com. Only a few games are newer than those a PC with 733mhz can handle. So a PS3 seems OK for me. BTW, is xbox as good or better? Somebody said that xbox is for games.

buckmana
Dragon

Postby buckmana » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:10 am

I prefer Playstation.

It's a whole thing to do with xBox making unethical decisions to force people to buy their product (making games xBox exclusive, getting the developers to provide xBox exclusive content, etc).

Mind you, I don't see any need for a PS3 myself. I don't play Playstation games anymore.

I only have one Playstation game I play regularly (Drakan: The Ancients' Gates), so a PS2 is good enough for me.

Plus, I can actually buy a computer new for what a PS3 costs. $1000 is a bit much for a gaming console.

Claxon
Whelp

Postby Claxon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by buckmana</i>

I prefer Playstation.

It's a whole thing to do with xBox making unethical decisions to force people to buy their product (making games xBox exclusive, getting the developers to provide xBox exclusive content, etc).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I'm afraid Sony are no different (and are in my view worse because they did it with Drakan: TAG damn them ¬_¬).

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">1. modern computers: probably not cheap.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Depends on the hardware you use. You can get a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card with 1gb Video ram for £50. But consider to cost of games, PS3 and Xbox 360 games tend to be more expensive than PC games.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2. PS3: a lot cheaper.
Cheaper than a totally extreme PC perhaps, but more expensive than any other console here.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">3. XBox: I know nothing about it except it is also produced by MS.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Similar capabilities to the PS3. Has probably the best online & multiplayer system of the consoles. Has a lot of top quality games.

[quote]4. Nintendo: I think it is going down.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Not even close. The Wii has become a huge success. It's generally cheaper than the other consoles, and has far more unique and innovative games on it. Not as powerful as the others but deffinately a lot of fun.

Some statistics you may find interesting almost everyone at Namco mobile has a Wii, 2 people have a 360, and none have a ps3.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Plus, I can actually buy a computer new for what a PS3 costs. $1000 is a bit much for a gaming console<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yep. I can understand that. Since In Australia, PS3 costs about 3 times its price here in the US. [:)]

Another interesting stat is Xbox breakdown percentage is around 33% vs PS2 1%.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">PS3 and Xbox 360 games tend to be more expensive than PC games<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

PS2 's games are cheaper than PC games.

Claxon
Whelp

Postby Claxon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Try playing Crysis on a Ps2 ;)

buckmana
Dragon

Postby buckmana » Fri May 02, 2008 2:08 pm

This may be another Australia specific thing, but PS2 games cost around $60-$80. PS3 games are more (like $90-$120). xBox prices are similar.

PC games cost around $30-$50, $30 dollars being more usual.

Claxon
Whelp

Postby Claxon » Fri May 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Not just Oz, in the UK pc games tend to be released at around £30-£35 with ps3 & 360 games between £40 and £60.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Postby Outlaw Wyvern » Fri May 02, 2008 10:36 pm

I have a 360, PS3, PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube, but I don't have a PC for gaming.

PS3 is the PHAT LUX RIDE, but my 360 (awesome green Halo edition!) gets the most use, by far.

bodfan
Dragon

Postby bodfan » Thu May 08, 2008 6:55 pm

I looked around and found that Dell's PS2 silver ( 2 lbs ) for 129.99 is pretty good deal. Amazon offers 2 PS2 silvers: the first one ( 3.9lbs ) for 129.99 and the second one (2lbs) for 174.99. The first one was released in 2007 and the second one in 2006. Not sure what the difference. I probably will go with the lighter one from DEll. If I can find a dozen good games for it, it should be worth the cost. :)

Return to “Arokh's Lair Forums”