severance

Discuss anything that is not related to Drakan and Blade of Darkness here.

Moderators: Mechanist, Arokhs Twin, yangez93

TheImmortalDragon
Whelp

severance

Postby TheImmortalDragon » Tue May 13, 2008 5:24 pm

man the severance players have a lot to talk about,they're always active (unlike drakan ones),why is that?

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Postby Outlaw Wyvern » Wed May 14, 2008 4:06 am

Play the game and find out!!
I hear it's really fun, but I haven't tried it.

buckmana
Dragon

Postby buckmana » Wed May 14, 2008 2:29 pm

I tried it and it's not fun.

Slow loading and weak fighting.

You only get a certain number of weapon swings and then have to rest while the enemy tears you apart!

Rynn could take any of the BOD characters apart in seconds!

And being called names for being cautious isn't appealing!

De Profundis
Dragon

Postby De Profundis » Thu May 15, 2008 7:26 am

I have it, and do enjoy it, but it doesn't come close to being Drakan.

AXE
Dragon

Postby AXE » Thu May 15, 2008 10:45 am

Cant get it to run on my ati card, any ideas?

buckmana
Dragon

Postby buckmana » Thu May 15, 2008 10:08 pm

How new is your card?

I have a fairly new one.

But I noticed it was weird with graphics and stuff.

Maybe it's just too dated and doesn't work.

Valheru
Whelp

Postby Valheru » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:51 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by buckmana</i>

I tried it and it's not fun.

Slow loading and weak fighting.

You only get a certain number of weapon swings and then have to rest while the enemy tears you apart!

Rynn could take any of the BOD characters apart in seconds!

And being called names for being cautious isn't appealing!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You my friend are looking for a simple button mashing hack and slash game by what your saying...severance actually requires skill and forethought on your approach to a battle as well as keeping your head while fighting, use tactics and observe the opponents attacks / movements to see if theres a pattern you can exploit.

If you give the game half a chance and keep at it you will find it very fun indeed. As you kill opponents you increase your skill level which allows more powerful weapons, you do more damage as well with any weapon and have more stamina. The game attempts to follow some more life like concepts such as you can't carry 10 weapons in real life and remain agile while fighting and you have to stop and rest if you keep doing something physically demanding to the point of exhaustion.

I've played both Severance and Drakan, both are great games in their own right. Rynn would be slaughtered by any experienced level 4 to 19 BOD character but then any BOD character would be char grilled by Arokh [:p]

And if the taunting bothers you that much, go chop their head off! [;)]

Cheers!

Craig

PS...not really expecting you to read this since your post was in 2008, but I had to defend severance from such slander and set the record straight [:p]

Also anyone having trouble running Severance BOD, head over to the help forum here and they'll sort you out. Cheers!

http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=12

buckmana
Dragon

Postby buckmana » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:45 am

Actually, I never took a rushed approach. In Drakan, I took the time to set up my enemies and exploited the environment as a tactical weapon. For example, I shot arrows at the boulder tossing monsters through a narrow crack that shielded me from their projectiles. Or one of the shadow knights, I made him chase me around the pillars, exposing his back to my attacks.

As for Rynn's superiority to a BoD character, it's simple math. Rynn can swing and dodge faster. When playing BoD, it felt like slow motion. Therefore, Rynn's greater speed in both fighting and moving around would decide the battle. And I only used 1 sword and a bow at any given time.

Mind you, I get the impression Rynn's strength and speed isn't entirely normal. People who join with dragons normally gained enhanced physical prowess. And later on, she develops magic powers as well.

And yes, I did read the message. Although I haven't played Severance since that time, I do make a point of visiting this forum. In this case, I got an email notifying me of your reply.

Valheru
Whelp

Postby Valheru » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by buckmana</i>

As for Rynn's superiority to a BoD character, it's simple math. Rynn can swing and dodge faster. When playing BoD, it felt like slow motion.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

You must have only played as the Barbarian then and not as the Knight, especially not the Amazon [;)]

And yes, I did read the message. Although I haven't played Severance since that time, I do make a point of visiting this forum. In this case, I got an email notifying me of your reply.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ah cool, thats good that your still around...not enough people are still around and passionate about these great games.

I can see that your a devout Drakan player but don't let that blind you to other great games that may be in a similar genre. Both games have a completely different fighting system, both with pros and cons. For myself, Drakan was too one dimensional in the fighting but together with the Dragon flying / combat and awesome gameplay and levels I love the game as a whole.

BOD isn't quite as open worlded as Drakan but concentrates more on the battle itself within beautifully constructured and scripted levels and lets you get into the fighting experience so much more to the point where it nearly feels like your there swinging the sword yourself, every battle is dynamic and unique. BOD is really fun moving through the single player campaign but it really shines once you've mastered your characters moves, fighting style and you can fluidly fight a multiplayer battle knowing your meaning every swing, thrust, block and dodge to the point where you've severed your opponent's arm off with a big ending combo and then chuck in another slash to hack the other arm off then a reverse spin to see the head go flying, blood pissing everywhere and the battle lust screaming for more! [:p]

Here's a little video I made of myself as the Knight (had only just started playing BOD again at this stage and was quite rusty)

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/ ... Blade2.flv

Heres a quick vid showing a higher level knight efficiently disposing of a traitor knight...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bub ... ZdP83kxT-U

Heres a good vid of the Amazon (though they do get a bit repetitive using the same combo...I use a varied style and try to use all my moves in the right spot to make a very interesting, good battle each time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H54RUNJrnnY

Now I'm not trying to say BOD is better by posting these vids but show you some of the later game since I don't feel you ever gave it a chance. I have played both games thoroughly and can appreciate both in their own brilliant right.

Cheers!

Craig

Return to “Arokh's Lair Forums”