We now have SSL encryption

Discuss anything that is not related to Drakan and Blade of Darkness here.

Moderators: Mechanist, Arokhs Twin, yangez93

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

We now have SSL encryption

Postby Arokhs Twin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 pm

The website now supports encrypted connections (https) so if you prefer to use this update your bookmarks / favorites to https://arokhslair.net/forum instead of www.arokhslair.net/forum. If you go in via the front page you don't need to update your bookmarks / favorites as I've updated the link on the site index page.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Ginko
Whelp

Re: We now have SSL encryption

Postby Ginko » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:51 pm

Yay fore more security! :D
Even though I'm not really sure what changes. I guess our password is now encrypted when we connect to the forum?
El Psy Congroo

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Yeah, it basically means web traffic to and from the server to your browser is encrypted including entering passwords although user id's and login passwords are already encrypted in the database. For site visitors there's no difference aside from the https:// prefix

UCyborg
Dragon

Postby UCyborg » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

First time accessing via https://, I get:

An error occurred during a connection to www.arokhslair.net. Peer reports it experienced an internal error. Error code: SSL_ERROR_INTERNAL_ERROR_ALERT
"Once a profound truth has been seen, it cannot be 'unseen'. There's no 'going back' to the person you were. Even if such a possibility did exist... why would you want to?" - Dave Sim

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:09 pm

Are you using firefox? The site uses SSL2.0 encryption which older web browsers do not support. Firefox has it turned off by default - if you go into the settings and turn this option on the site should work.

It could also be the anti phishing software - Ill look into that.

UCyborg
Dragon

Postby UCyborg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:28 pm

Works fine now. Using latest Firefox, but it didn't work on Chrome neither. Now both browsers say TLS 1.2 is used. And quick Google search revealed TLS is new SSL.

Also, modern Firefox doesn't have any settings related to SSL/TLS in UI, just some advanced unrelated stuff in about:config, perhaps security.tls.version.min and security.tls.version.max, though that's probably there for downgrading to less security.
"Once a profound truth has been seen, it cannot be 'unseen'. There's no 'going back' to the person you were. Even if such a possibility did exist... why would you want to?" - Dave Sim

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Yes you are correct TLS is a new form of SSL. I use chrome and the site has always worked but I keep it up to date. I don't use firefox normally but I suppose I should have tested the site in all web browsers...

Return to “Arokh's Lair Forums”