Hello and New game suggestion

Discuss anything that is not related to Drakan and Blade of Darkness here.

Moderators: Mechanist, Arokhs Twin, yangez93

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Hello and New game suggestion

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:09 pm

So I wanted to share a video that reminded me of a Drakan setting.

https://youtu.be/4JjapI1zE80

This actually reminds me of when the original Drakan forum was alive and we started an impov story and the setting took place in an area like that. There was a huge battle and a dragoness awoke to see the horrible atrocities around her. Too weak to fight, she was loaded on a horse drawn carriage and taken back to the castle...

In the video you can see there's a cart and the remains of a castle and mountains in the brackground. The music is nice too.

I think there should be another Drakan game made and since the UE4 engine is free to develop games on, the time is right to make it. I don't know if anyone has experience with it or modeling, but it would be awesome. It would require people to develop the story line, models, and put it all together in UE4. I have experience to varying degrees on everything but creating a sound track.

Any thoughts? Who's interested in another Drakan game?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Hello and New game suggestion

Postby Arokhs Twin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi there,
A remake of Drakan in the UE4 engine would be awesome but there's the age old copyright stuff you would have to get around. There's nothing wrong with making a similar game to Drakan though unless you made it so you would have to own the original game. Some of our members who are into game development may be able to help with a remake but it's still gonna be a massive undertaking.

Sounds good to me though and I'd like to see anything that our more talented (than me) members can come up with.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:58 pm

Well there are a few things that could make this possible w/o infringing on copyright laws. First and foremost we could get permission. Looks like Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment bought out surreal so I imagine they would be the ones to talk to. Next we could just wait for the copyright to expire, which I think the earliest is 25 years and that would give us another 8 years to go which wouldn't be feasible. Lastly we can make a similar game but change the name and likeness of all the characters (the main 2 were really the only ones I would keep anyhow) which I think sounds best.

Maybe change it up and allow the dragon and person be male or female. I think at this day and age it would be best to base it off multiplayer to make playability better over a longer time. I think like an ark game (ark: survival evolved) would be nice with an open world. Maybe make some quests like a fallout game so you could go anywhere, but some areas would be more difficult than others. Also in game building would be awesome like ark has. It's tough to think of a good end game w/o doing multiple dungeons with unique gear, but there may be other ways.

Just some thoughts.

ufukomer
Hatchling

Postby ufukomer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am

I was anxiously thinking about the same stuff right now, that post made me happy...a little bit. :)

By the way, Drakan's soundtracks playing in the background while I'm writing this reply. Can you feel the passion? :)

There are probably many people who could work on this project as volunteer. In my opinion, the characters, and even general characteristics of maps, weapons, creatures should not be changed. People love it as it's. I personally don't care about the video game with different base story.

I'm a web developer, not sure if I can be useful but ready to learn anything and work hard for rebuilding World of Drakan. After getting rid of this copyright thing, an experienced leader may led the team, someone like you. Maybe the kickstarter like websites could be the starting point.

I guess this copyright stuff must be more complicated than you think? Otherwise why other video game development companies wouldn't do it?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm pretty sure Sony own the copyright to the 'Drakan' and associated trade marks. Surreal was just the developer,; rights to games lie with the publisher. If anything were to be made I'd vote for a similar game.

ufukomer
Hatchling

Postby ufukomer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Hmm, I see now. A (game development) company should buy Drakan's copyright to recreate it. Seems like it's not something several people can do. I'll mail Sony about this situation, lol. [They won't give a duck :)]

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:38 pm

So I've only played the first Drakan and not the one that came out on the PS2 or whatever, but I think that's the primary focus correct?

Anyhow, we would need the following roles filled (just what I could think of thus far):
- Story design
- Level design
- Character design
- Particle FX design
- Animator
- Artist
- Sound design
- Coder (possibly)

I WANT to learn how to build scenes in UE4 (and more after), I just don't know how much time I have to commit to it. Personally, I think it should be a new story that doesn't really tie into the old game so we wouldn't be limited to their storyline and the other aspects. I don't think people want a rehash of a game they've already played.

Aside from UE4, which is free to use (they require royalties if a profit is made), 3d studio max is a requirement for designing the characters and maybe a little more. There may be other programs that work, but I believe the one that is most compatible is said program.

update:
I don't see a need to start a funding campaign like kickstarter or gofundme as the only thing that will cost money is 3dsmax unless there Is an alternative that someone else has. I have/use a few programs myself that may work. I'll let you know when I get to that point.
Last edited by Metaldrgn on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:50 pm

I forgot to mention anyone who wants to help isn't committed to help. Even if you aren't sure just let me know.

I've been learning a little more with the engine. They have a ton of tutorial videos.

Artists would be good to have too for texture art or just 2d art. I'm not an artist myself but I can do some stuff with 3d/CAD programs.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

I could help with the story design - I mean if you are wanting to make it a Drakan 3 in all but name and playable characters.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:30 am

At the moment, I'm still in favor of just coming up with something new. Since I never played the second game, I don't know where the story ends and personally that time has passed to want to go back and play it. The first was an awesome experience, but that was many years ago.

However it's done, it needs to be fun, exciting, suspenseful, emotional (maybe), enjoyable, and replayable.

There would be a lot of details to decide like whether it's going to be single player, multiplayer, or both. Both would probably be best for todays market.

A good video that I think shows how to grab your audience and get them interested in the first place is this (from gameplay footage - the gameplay sucks, but the video looks cool! lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dEA4KhwjY

We could also solicit for help in various places and use this site as a hub.
Last edited by Metaldrgn on Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:51 am

If it's any help the ending of Drakan: TAG was considered a 'good' ending in that no major characters died and Rynn and Arokh were successful however the ending leaves it wide open for a Drakan3 - I think Surreal had always intended the Drakan series to be a trilogy. I can put it in more detail if required though and there's always the Drakan novel which is the events of the two games. The ending of the novel suggests what would have happened in the 3rd game if it were to be made.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:33 am

I would have to do some research and read up on it. We could entertain both ideas and decide later which one sounds better before the project really develops.

Personally, the main reason at the moment I want to learn this is the incredible things you can do with it and it's real time. I was thinking about writing a book (nothing to do with Drakan, but does include dragons) and using the engine for creating illustrations throughout the book so the reader can see some things similar to how I see it. The main part I want to design is the landscapes and do the other details after. The book is still all thoughts in my head at the moment and working on another Drakan game would just help me learn the program. There may be other stuff that comes up that I will have to stop working on this project for. I think it will also depend on how much support we get on this and how much people really want to see this come to light.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 am

I think that the book / video is a good idea to learn about the UE4 engine - making a whole game is a mammoth task and would need several very skilled members who have the time and devotion to the project. Many projects fail (there's loads on ModDB that will never see the light of day) as the team members loose interest over the years and have other commitments; after all it is an unpaid job. I'd suggest putting something on IndieDB or ModDB if you are wanting to get a team together to make a whole game.

Going down the graphic story would be a better idea if you are wanting to learn about the engine then progress onto a new game altogether once you have gained experience with it. In engine video sequences detailing specific story events is something I don't think has been done before but it sounds interesting. I don't think this would break any copyright laws either (as long as you do not sell it and you can't actually play it) so you could make a Drakan 3 story continuation if you wanted. This way I guess it would be classed as 'fan fiction' and there is nothing wrong with that.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:23 pm

In engine video sequences detailing specific story events is something I don't think has been done before but it sounds interesting.
Are you talking about this or something else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtb6uMUgZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO0k92iVMjE

Also as far as selling it, I think we could do something for all our hard work we put in. Something like donations or a small charge like $20. I think we can launch it on steam like other indie projects do. Maybe donations along the way to help it keep moving if people were wanting this to be developed. There have been teams as few as 1 or 2 people that have made and sold games so it's a reality, just needs the team to follow through.

This engine has everything you need except a modeler for characters, assets, etc. That isn't hard to come by and like I said I can (try to) do some of it.

Looks like ZBrush would be good for character creation and texturing.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:43 am

Something else to look into would be to have it made with VR in mind. I don't know if any of you own the Oculus rift or similar, but just imagine a Drakan like game with the immersion of VR. So close you could almost touch the dragon and the flying may make you air sick!

I think the biggest feat is making it fun for people who don't necessarily like dragons the way I'm sure we do since we are a smaller crowd. Other games how come and gone, we just need to see what we can learn from them.

It also looks like Epic gives Unreal Dev Grants so I think, aside from other means of monetary incentives, that could be something to look into in the future if this actually takes flight (see what I did there? ;))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zZ3nZQSnc
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/epic- ... mmunitytab

Return to “Arokh's Lair Forums”